Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 03:14:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSword Legends
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Sword Legends  (Read 4694 times)
Ticebilla
Level 0

Do Stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2014, 07:58:11 PM »

This looks absolutely amazing. I'm really liking the art direction a LOT.

Coopaloops
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2014, 08:44:53 PM »

Thank you so much Ticebilla! So glad to hear you like it, and comments like those are encouraging. There have been a lot of updates and polish since the last screens and gifs I posted, and I can't wait to start showing off some of the new stuff.

Quick update for tonight btw...just finished my first enemy AI! Woohoo! I have an enemy that will become aggravated and follow the player when the player gets within a certain range, will de-aggro/cooldown when the player gets far enough away, and then after the cooldown return to its original starting point. Pretty neat stuff!

Congraturation this story is happy end. Thank you.

Sword Legends
Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2014, 09:30:52 PM »

Art looks great!
Looking forward to seeing how the combat plays out.

Coopaloops
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2014, 10:24:38 PM »

Thank you Fervir! Yeah, I'm really anxious to get all the basic systems up and running again so I can start prototyping some stuff. There were some really interesting gameplay mechanics in a previous build. Giving/taking damage and enemy/player health are going to be the next couple things I try to tackle...one slow step at a time I guess haha. Your game Elysis looks really neat by the way! Love the enemy mobs and all the different abilities you've got going. Long live top down action rpg's! =D

Sword Legends
karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2014, 01:11:53 AM »

It's been a while! Now you're a lonely loner for the development? If you're using Unity, it's ok. The component based programming is really nice and fast. Recently we've ported our game from Java to Unity and now everything is faster (add new features, tests and parameters adjust) Smiley good luck with the new development direction!
Coopaloops
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2014, 02:18:48 PM »

Ha...yep, all by my lonesome. And thank you! Have really been liking Unity so far...it's such a powerful tool. There have definitely been a few headaches along the way - getting collision detection working the way I wanted it to was a bit of a beast, since I opted out of the Physics engine. But otherwise it's been great. I'm definitely going to try to take advantage of some of the nice features I get for free in a 3D engine. =)

Sword Legends
Coopaloops
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2014, 07:14:26 PM »

Hey TIGS, just checking in really quickly...I've been cranking away at coding stuff for the last few weeks in my spare time and made some great progress. Stuff I have working now:

- Data serialization
- Moving back and forth between scenes
- Title screen
- Lots of polish to art and level design

Am getting ready to tackle text and dialog next. Very exciting stuff. The game is looking pretty good so far...definitely happy with the way things are going. Thinking about doing a video of everything soon...when I'm not head down in code, I'll try to put something together.  Smiley

Sword Legends
Coopaloops
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2014, 07:36:17 PM »

Hey guys, finally doing a post to show some new stuff that's been going on! Some cool things to share today...check it out.

First up, I've got pits working...you can fall into pits, ala Zelda LTTP. Pitfalls don't do any damage yet, but that should be pretty easy to implement once the health/damage system is ironed out.

Second, I've got this cool thing going with grass where it slows down your movement. I'm going to be experimenting with a lot of environmental stuff like this...things that impact how your character moves around and interacts with the environment.

And last but not least, the beginnings of a combat system! There's this funny bug right now where you can keep poking guys after they're dead. Pretty amusing. =)

I've also got a stamina system up and running again that is pretty critical to the experience...more on that later.

As far as overall progress goes, the featureset for the demo is farther now than it was when I started from scratch recoding everything a few months ago. Some interesting gameplay is starting to take shape, and in general I'm feeling pretty good about stuff right now. Slow, but steady, amiright?! Hope you guys dig. More stuff soon.

Sword Legends
SafetySnail
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2014, 09:44:03 PM »

You know you have to keep this bug now right?
The environmental impact on the character is interesting, looking forward to hearing more of your ideas about that one. Are you thinking of having any situations where the environment might be a benefit instead of a hindrance like the grass? Maybe walking faster downstream or riding down mudslides?
Coopaloops
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2014, 08:55:07 AM »

@SafetySnail - Yeah, totally! One of the things I was thinking about was having some stock standard rpg status effects - poison, curse, slow, fast, confused, etc - that get triggered when walking over certain tiles. It would definitely make sense to include some beneficial things as well...healing over time, movement or attack bonuses, stamina buffs, defense buffs, etc. Combined with the combat mechanics, I think it will make for some really interesting gameplay. Love the idea of walking downstream btw...I've got a water themed area planned and am looking to do some unique things with water as a terrain type, so your idea would totally make sense!

Sword Legends
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic