Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1037840 Posts in 41923 Topics- by 33539 Members - Latest Member: Kalaniseguin

August 31, 2014, 11:29:44 PM
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessiOS Monetization need your Opinion
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: iOS Monetization need your Opinion  (Read 395 times)
Arnold
Level 1

View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 22, 2013, 12:08:16 PM »

Hey Ho!

I know that Mobile is not too common around this place, but still i would like to hear some opinions from you guys!
So i have this Game that i will develop. It will be a Puzzle-Game that has 3 worlds with 24 Levels each. Now i have multiple ideas on how to sell it.

1. Sell it as a Premium App 1.99$ (not very likely due to bad download numbers these days)
2. Sell it as a Free App with the first World unlocked and having an iAp for 1.99$ to unlock both World 2 and 3.
3. Sell it as a Free App with the first World unlocked having an iAp for .99$ to unlock World 2 and a .99$ to unlock World 3
4. Sell it as a Free App with the first World unlocked having an iAp for .99$ for World 2 and a 1.99$ for World 3 or the other way around making World 2 1.99$ and World 3 .99$

What would you think about that 4th Strategy. Is a user more likely to buy the 3rd World if he enjoyed world 1+2 for a decent Price, or would he be turn off by that method?

I'm 1/2 of @Tinytouchtales and I collect Video-Game stuff on @Speicherstand
trilby
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 02:23:29 PM »

I reckon option 2. As a downloader of apps I'd be bummed if I kept having to pay to unlock parts of the game. That's just me tho! You could always try the 2 stage approach and modify it later if it doesn't work.

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 03:02:41 PM »

option 3, go with whatever asks for the minimum investment from your potential customers. There are so many free mobile games now with huge production value, mobile gamers are unwilling to spend up front, and even with free games they will not want to spend "large" amounts in app.

Keep your game free to get initially and opt for more smaller transactions afterwards than one or 2 "big" ones

Arnold
Level 1

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 12:48:32 AM »

good point  jackson, the path of least resistance is always a good one to follow. the thing is though, i could imagine people buying world 2 for 99 and really liking the game, would buy world 3 for 1.99$ just because they liked the game. but its hard to judge without any real numbers.

ericmbernier
Level 3

Sometimes I make games.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 08:21:58 AM »

I'd say either option 2 or option 3, with a preference for option 2. I remember hearing Rocketcat games say in a podcast that one of the biggest hindrances for paid games on mobile (though there are still exceptions to the rules) is the huge back catalog of free games sitting on potential players' devices. These two options help combat this obstacle.

malicethedevil
Level 0

Damned Irish Devil

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 10:58:24 AM »

Personally, I suggest 2 or 3 - BUT the real question is the value required to make the game. For instance, if you hire artists to do the work, but you need to pay them "royalty" it can influence the costs of the game, where as if you are just doing it yourself on your time then the value is merely determined on how much your time is worth as well as the quality of the product. So the cost may drive many game developers in issue because how to afford the cost, yet make the sale.
   But as a buyer of an App, I would honestly say 2 if working on iOS, 3 if Android. You can always create later worlds that may cost more - look at expansion packs on platforms.

Graphic and Video Production
Fringe Games, War Command
Muz
Level 10

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 10:36:43 AM »

I'm personally fond of episodic games. Give the first episode for free, ask them to pay for the next few episodes (like what Epic and Apogee games did).

It's great because if you're only paying for as much of the game as you're playing. I really hate paying $30 for a game which is only fun for a few hours and repetitive for the rest of the week.

But not much difference between $2 and $1 honestly, so just save them the trouble and charge $2 for the full app on iOS. Android supports microtransactions, so you can charge them per episode, or give them a discount for buying the whole thing at once.
erik
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 11:29:21 AM »

Can you combine options 2 and 3?  Offer a $0.99 iAp for each world, or a $1.79 iAp for both at once?

Life Goes On - Use your dead bodies to solve puzzles and make progress.

Feedback Thread
Arnold
Level 1

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 12:49:36 PM »

hey thats a pretty good idea, making a single and combined purchase is pretty interesting!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic