Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1026410 Posts in 41142 Topics- by 32744 Members - Latest Member: MetalPaper

July 24, 2014, 02:59:03 PM
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperCreativeCollaborationsNearly Finished iPad Puzzle Game. Need Environment Artists
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Nearly Finished iPad Puzzle Game. Need Environment Artists  (Read 675 times)
boehmz
Level 0

View Profile Email
« on: April 22, 2013, 03:03:18 PM »

I've been developing an iPad puzzle game over the past few years.  We've got an original concept in the movement system of the game.  Design and programming wise, it's nearly finished.  Just need some artists to make it look good before it can be released.

Play a flash prototype:
http://andrewdang.com/games/pidrescue/

The Pitch:
Pid Rescue is a 2D navigational puzzle game on iPad.  In each level, the alien race known as Pids have crashed and are now scattered around the screen.  Your job is to direct them back to their rocket ship so they can go back home.
The catch is that you have to pick one point on screen at a time for them to all head towards.  Lead them wisely, as the world is filled with dangers that can hurt them.
The innovative control mechanic asks the player to think about the positioning of each Pid on screen and plan their moves in advance to save them all.
We are looking for one or two ENVIRONMENT artists to help fill out the worlds.
The game uses 2D sprites that are tile-based.

Needed:
Environment art for a technology and ice themed world.
The technology themed world has laser walls of different colors, teleportation zones, and several background.
The ice world will have icy cliffs, canyons, and general snowy background objects.
The project will be a few art pieces a week for the next few months.

This game is already far along in development design and programming wise.  It currently runs on iPad with levels designed for all of the worlds.  Art is one of the final things missing before we can release it to the iOS app store this summer.

We can offer a shared percentage in the royalties made from selling this game.  There are currently 4 people on the team.

SterlingDee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 01:48:04 PM »

I think you should consider a complete overhaul of the graphics (including the start screens, ui, sprites) to maximize your chance of success!

elizabitcrusher
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 09:16:18 AM »

First of all, I LOVE this. I just played through way too many of the levels (instead of doing my own work, of course). So KEEP IT UP! I can't wait to see this on my ipad! And I can think of a bunch of people who I'd force to play this (and they'd thank me for it).
Now, for some feedback:
I agree on revamping the visuals. I do like them the way they are—simple, nostalgic, cute, very throw-back. However, I also think that if you enhanced them, the game would have a greater chance of success. I think the rocket ship should blast off much, much faster. It'd be more fun and less distracting—sort of propels you into the next level.
I like the sound effects a lot. Super damn cute! Big fan of human-like and human-based computerized sound effects. Reminds me of Lemmings.
Not in love with the music, though. You (or your composer, that is) could come up with something truly unique and iconic instead of using a pre-existing melody. Like the visuals, go that extra mile and the results will be fantastic. With this choice of music, it seems like you're looking for music that is fairly long (not annoyingly looping), that goes in and out of different moods (e.g. major and minor melodies to create change). And maybe you're also going for something calming and classical. This is verrrrrry calming, gentle music. Almost makes me lose my focus on the game. More the kind of music I'd imagine in the background of a tea party at a British manor.
Last, and biggest concern: did you know there's already a game out there called Pid? I freaking love that game, so I got a little confused when I saw that your lil' dudes are called Pids. Just a heads up.
http://www.pidgame.com
BUT, regardless of my opinions, this is a really wonderful idea! Really, truly!
boehmz
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 01:55:37 PM »

By complete overhaul, do you mean the style or just change the art assets?
Most of what you see there is my temp programming art.

We've since added some artists.  Here is a screenshot of a more recent version:

The Pid conflict is something good to know.  We chose to call them Pids independent of the other game, and realize we should change it but haven't yet decided on what new name to go with, so we've just been sticking with Pids for the time being.

As for musicians, we are working with a local composer to do background music for the game.  We're also definitely going to change the sound effects, but our composer is more of a composition than sound effects guy.

Also, thanks for liking the game!  We've gotten some pretty positive feedback during some playtests, and that's been an awesome thing to experience.
SterlingDee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 02:22:13 PM »

no the style is fine, but your artist should probably fine tune the color schemes & create a consistent style...it feels a bit hodge podge at the moment. But I really like the game!

Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 10:37:11 PM »

no the style is fine, but your artist should probably fine tune the color schemes & create a consistent style...it feels a bit hodge podge at the moment. But I really like the game!

Seconding this, it's a good look already but would need some jazzing up. Thank god you posted this shot in addition to the base version, because this kinda makes it clear that the workload required from the artist isn't going to be as high as the demo would suggest.

Can I ask how many levels are planned? And are there levels solvable only with 10+ turns or more?

boehmz
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 12:08:46 PM »

We are going to have 3 worlds, around 90 levels.  For each world, we are tiling the background so we can reuse art assets in interesting ways.
As for your question about levels with only 10+ moves, the game quickly becomes less about number of moves and more about making your moves count as the number of things that can kill your Pids (Pips?) increases. 
On the iPad version, it's touch control so you can move your cursor to anywhere on screen without lifting it up.  But if difficulty/complexity is what you're asking about, we definitely have some levels that make your head hurt in a good way  Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic