Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:57:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLIT
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: LIT  (Read 16620 times)
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2013, 05:31:43 AM »

Carrion, I have to say, I love your pixel art. But I love your MS Paint art more (the less pixelly ones) . Think you could maybe make more of the game with MS Paint? (cutscenes, backgrounds...)

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2013, 11:52:34 AM »

Your art style is great.

I really like the MS Paint stuff too, it would be cool to see what it would look like with an MS Paint style background.

geepit
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2013, 05:32:14 AM »

In other news, Carrion has cake.

I'd watch out, the dog on your shirt seems to be going for it!
RynnZ
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2013, 10:59:09 AM »

Let's hope it's not made with oil based paint...

P.S. Your style is amazing. I can't wait to see the game.
Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2013, 11:11:59 AM »

Looks utterly beautiful. The world needs more odd.

Greg Game Man
Level 5

i have to return some videotapes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2013, 11:43:41 AM »

you will never hear bmth make another album like CYB Sad

ZASkaggs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2013, 03:53:49 PM »

Definitely one of the more stylish games on this forum. Keep it up!

GentlestOfGentlemen
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2013, 12:06:35 PM »

Thats some damn-near perfect cake right there.

Also the game looks good or something I guess.

C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2013, 06:13:59 AM »

The combination of seeing your artwork and reading the words "Abe's Exodus" together has caused a wonderful chemical reaction in my brain.

Please continue.
devi ever
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2013, 06:48:02 AM »

Been a big fan of your work so far.  Excited to see where this goes!  Coffee
devi ever
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2013, 04:14:03 AM »

Did any of you check out the links I put up regarding the game's music? Did you love it, hate it? Let me know what you think!

Where's the music link?  Would be cool if you could update the first post with relevant new update stuff.  I love catching up with devlogs but don't always have the time to sift through all the pages for the latest.

[edit] Oh, I'm stupid.  It's right up there.  YES!  Beautiful beautiful tracks!  Some are a little too "poppy" for my tastes and imagine the world you are creating are a little darker, but still... yes!  Can't wait.  Waaagh! Hand Money Right
Cathay
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2013, 04:18:52 AM »

Thanks for taking the time to address what I assume to be numerous emails (including mine!). It sounds like you have a very focused conception of what you want the music to be, which is good, and I hope you achieve what you want to. One thing I would mention though, based on the examples you used, is that not every piece of music needs to have a beat. My conception of game music is that it is not supposed to be listened to out of context. This is something I have learnt from writing for film - that a piece of illustration music should not be an entity in itself (which would draw the attention of the audience away from the art as a whole), but that it should fit very snugly into the entire scene, level, film, game ,etc - I believe it should find a space in the background, and not draw attention to itself too much (though this doesn't mean that game/ film music cannot be wonderful). Before, I would compose music as pieces in themselves, rather than what I have previously mentioned. Though I'm sure your two composers are aware of this, perhaps bare in mind that game music which is too singular, too much of a 'track' or 'composition' in itself, as I have said, can be distracting and can damage the overall effect of a game/ film, rather than enhancing it.

I believe this is fairly sound advice for any composers starting out in game/film music.

Best of luck with your project - it'll be great!

B.   
Cathay
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2013, 10:44:55 AM »

Thanks for taking the time to address what I assume to be numerous emails (including mine!). It sounds like you have a very focused conception of what you want the music to be, which is good, and I hope you achieve what you want to. One thing I would mention though, based on the examples you used, is that not every piece of music needs to have a beat. My conception of game music is that it is not supposed to be listened to out of context. This is something I have learnt from writing for film - that a piece of illustration music should not be an entity in itself (which would draw the attention of the audience away from the art as a whole), but that it should fit very snugly into the entire scene, level, film, game ,etc - I believe it should find a space in the background, and not draw attention to itself too much (though this doesn't mean that game/ film music cannot be wonderful). Before, I would compose music as pieces in themselves, rather than what I have previously mentioned. Though I'm sure your two composers are aware of this, perhaps bare in mind that game music which is too singular, too much of a 'track' or 'composition' in itself, as I have said, can be distracting and can damage the overall effect of a game/ film, rather than enhancing it.

I believe this is fairly sound advice for any composers starting out in game/film music.

Best of luck with your project - it'll be great!

B.   

Indeed you have given very sound advice, I'll take it into consideration. You are right in saying that not every song has to have a beat. I have an attraction to anything with a heavy beat being a percussion-jokey myself. I would love to have some isolated piano and strings for the soundtrack though, Charlie Haden's Nocturne LP is my shit.

Well, if you need a couple of soft, ambient pieces, then I have access to a piano Gomez. I'd be more than happy to contribute something pro bono for a project as nice as this one.

B.
c023-DeV
Level 2

DevZoo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2013, 02:33:24 PM »

Loving the art! As to sound... check out the Nine Inch Nails Ghosts I-IV

ghosts.nin.com

there are tons of inspiring sound textures in there that could help defining. And I personally can imagine that good sound textures can be better here than melodic or rhythmic tracks.

Sarge
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2013, 06:34:55 PM »

Hey folks, sorry for disappearing. I may have accidentally ingested oil paint resulting in oil based poisoning. Addicted
I'm up and kicking again though so i'll be throwing more content your way shortly.

Fun Fact: The color of the oil paint I ingested actually belongs to this game's palette. I'll let you guess which color.

I'm going to go with the drab green, second row all the way to the left.

It looks the most delicious.

[TWEETER]
If it is stupid, but it works, then it isn't stupid.
Cathay
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2013, 04:36:45 AM »

These are more or less the standard robots for my world. I didn't want anything too typical for the design, but at the same time I didn't want any overly sleek gundam bots running around.

They have a temperature sensory system as well as synthetic nerves, so they wear cloaks and clothing much like humans. They also have a thing for carrying around antennas and odd devices compiled of broken computers and receivers. I can't tell you guys exactly why just yet, I just wanted to give explanation for all of the random wires and antennas. 

Go here and click the image for better res.

Let me know what you guys think.

Nice 'doodles' up top! Ha, if only my doodles were so good, alas...

I like your designs very much. You're a talented artist sir. However, I thought the fellow with the hat and cane was rather individual (in that he didn't quite fit in aesthetically with the rest - but maybe there's a reason for this?). I will also echo what a previous poster said; I'd like to see you experiment with paint for backgrounds. The piece you posted earlier that was drawn in paint was just stunning.

Had you thought about the colours for these guys yet?

B. 
Dr. Cooldude
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2013, 06:24:53 AM »

Hey Carrion, how's it going with finding a programmer?
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2013, 07:57:38 AM »

I note a distinct lack of boredom hovering around the image.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Alex Higgins
Level 2

@alchiggins on Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2013, 10:55:47 AM »

Crazy awesome. Following.

If you're still looking for a programmer, I'd be willing to consider. I could write this in Gamemaker. I think we share a similar mindset when it comes to games. I am a little reluctant since I'm working on my own personal project and might have to put it on the backburner if I were to help with this, but this seems like a really cool project, and if you can't find anyone else I'd be game to help out.

My Dev Blog! >  Sassy Echidna Software
WIP >  Monsterpunk
Latest Game >  Bloodjak
NicroGames
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2013, 01:31:34 PM »

-
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 02:11:24 PM by NicroGames » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic