Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1074269 Posts in 44045 Topics- by 36045 Members - Latest Member: Kolo

December 22, 2014, 03:26:59 PM
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsE3 2013
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: E3 2013  (Read 1300 times)
nealneato
Level 0

foooood

View Profile WWW
« on: April 23, 2013, 08:13:31 PM »

Not exactly an "indie" event, but is anyone attending E3 this year? People who've been to E3, how was it?

Sealunar
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 04:40:44 PM »

I've never been there, but I hope to get there one day. On a side note, wtf is up with Nintendo not being there this year? Huge mistake imo especially since the Wii U is not really exciting to begin with.

Knavic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 05:25:36 PM »

When does E3 take place? Is it yearly or something? I've always wondered this because it seems like it takes place more than once a year.. On the Nintendo note, WTF aren't they showing up?Huh? That's like if the new super smash brothers game didn't feature Link as a playable character. Nintendo's the god father of  video games. I hope they didn't doom themselves with the Wii franchise... But they could be playing a smart card. E3 has always seemed a little biased when it comes to the console war.
nealneato
Level 0

foooood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 07:04:59 AM »

Yeah E3 is once a year, every year... If you're a recognized game company (registered corporation + member of ESA or IGDA) then you get tickets for free. I decided to go this year in case there's an opportunity to play some new systems and talk to devs. No idea if it will be worth it, but the price was right.

All sorts of opinions on Nintendo not taking center stage. Some think it's because the WiiU doesn't have many games to show off so they're shying away. Others think it's a marketing strategy to release small Nintendo Direct videos throughout the year instead of dumping tons of info in one place... this keeps fans more engaged.

paulmcgg
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 02:17:09 PM »

Was there last year. Much more of a corporate event, focused on media & marketing. The showfloor is incredibly depressing. However the indiecade area rocked and I'm sure that will be happening again. There are lots of developers around and a few indies, but a lot harder to find than GDC for example.
Blink
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 10:33:16 AM »

Worth it just to hang out at the IndieCade booth. Bumped into the guy who's making RIOT, and Notch ended up taking his seat Tongue So lots of fun! But... more germs than any gaming event I've ever been to, immediately got sick on my return. Wash your hands!
Monstr1337
Level 0

Flash / iOS Dev

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 03:04:39 AM »

E3 is fun....... (I've only been twice)

I might be heading there this year if I get time off work :/

It's just crowded as all hell! It's also hot, and it's Los Angeles. But L.A has a ton of fun stuff that you can do, and downtown L.A turns into geek central because of E3.

It's like Disneyland for gamers. Tons of waiting to see stuff, five minutes to actually play, lots of sampling and demos are available, and schwaggg. As for networking, its not on the level of GDC but you can still mingle with devs in the mess hall area.

And if you're not "press" then you'll end up walking the expo floor and missing out on the "presentations". But, as for a gaming event, it's epic! There's tons of things to gawk at, gamers are everywhere, and it's a fun 3 days.

If you were to go to E3, don't pay for the pass. It's not worth it imo. Plus its a thousand $$ for the pass alone.

Newbie in training
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 6

Wolfgame

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 09:20:37 PM »

We're probably going this year, but the two of us can't afford a hotel room.
Any ideas guys?

nealneato
Level 0

foooood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 06:46:19 AM »

We're probably going this year, but the two of us can't afford a hotel room.
Any ideas guys?

Maybe Airbnb? Not sure how much more it would be for a hotel.
https://www.airbnb.com/s/Los-Angeles--CA?guests=2

yoplaitnoplay
Manbaby

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 09:09:22 AM »

I know the OUYA is going to have a parking lot 'event-type' section right near the convention. There will also be an IndieCade booth featuring the soon-to-be released PC/mobile/Vita indie titles, alongside released titles I'm assuming. I vaguely remember a seperate E3 event at a venue right down the street from E3 being hosted by either Jon Blow or Tim Schaeffer, or both. Although I am not entirely sure on that last one. So obviously E3 2013 will differ from previous E3s in that indies are now featuring their own spotlights at or around the convention. Regardless, I can imagine E3 being great fun. What's not great about getting to play the newest in video games?
Sean Hogan (seagaia)
Level 10

Coupons

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 03:51:01 PM »

I'll be there with Anodyne as a part of the ESA college competition...probably standing at the booth all day/ It'll be interesting  to see how that goes down.

PixelTab
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 08:36:52 AM »

I wish i was going to E3, there are a lot of hypes.
Mainly because i want to try out BF4 Multiplayer :D.

It would also be great to see OUYA's parking lot event.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic