Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1027487 Posts in 41220 Topics- by 32834 Members - Latest Member: BeardedSloth

July 28, 2014, 06:22:34 AM
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesGames where you view the world with some kind of distortion
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Games where you view the world with some kind of distortion  (Read 715 times)
Inverse Square
Level 0

View Profile Email
« on: April 25, 2013, 05:19:36 AM »

Yo. Three years ago I made a thread asking for games with bouncing projectiles in them, as research for a game I was making. And that thread was really useful for me and really fun for some other people! So I thought it bore repeating with the new kind of game I'm making: a game where you have to do things with a kind of distortion on your perspective.

A better description of what I'm looking for
First to say, I am looking for games where the distortion is a part of the challenge. There are games like MadWorld which have such weird graphical styles that it might constitute "distortion", but you wouldn't go as far as to say that the distortion is part of the actual game. Instead I'm thinking about games where you have to force your brain to think twice about processing visual information, either in order to solve puzzles, or to do actiony things.

Some games I have thought of so far:
-Most levels in Space Giraffe have challenging and awesome distortions that are kinda hard to verbally describe. I encourage you to watch this video if you don't know Space Giraffe. Some people hate Space Giraffe; they think obfuscation is not a valid way of creating difficulty, that it will always be "cheap". But if you watch that video of level 64, I think it is clear that someone who believes this is missing out on a very sophisticated kind of beauty. Jonathan Blow believes that the game can give you a new way of looking at the world

-Where is my heart? is a fun game by the Johann Sebastian Joust people. It doesn't explore its "multiple views into the room" idea as clearly as some other puzzle platformers, but it has a lovely beginning and an interesting feeling to it.

-Fractured is the same gimmick as Where Is My Heart?, with execution that isn't quite as good.

-This room from the final level of Castlevania: Bloodlines. I love this game, and I love this part of this game. Again, it breaks the screen up into boxes that get moved somewhat. But it's not higgldy piggldy; it is composed to give you a specific kind of challenge when you fight Medusa Heads in the room.

-Some borderline cases are Fez, Closure, and Millions.
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 05:30:04 AM »

I'm thinking about games where you have to force your brain to think twice about processing visual information, either in order to solve puzzles, or to do actiony things.

This tigger's game should qualify. I still haven't finished it myself; the countdown timer scares me to wait until I'm super focused.

Damn you, Demruth.  Hand Shake LeftConcernedHand Shake Right

Anyway, you can get it on Steam, nowadays.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 05:36:16 AM by starsrift » Logged

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
John Sandoval
TIGTumblr Editor
Global Moderator
Level 10

hhh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 09:11:52 AM »

echochrome?

C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 10:26:50 AM »

not played it yet, but antichamber sounds kinda like what you're looking for.

Alvin Row
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 10:30:57 AM »

yeah, antichamber would make escher uncomfortable. it's interesting though i didn't find it too fun.

there's also that digipen game called perspective. i haven't played it yet, but it seems neat.
http://www.seewithperspective.com/
Cow
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 03:25:12 PM »

I was working on a game like this but it hurt peoples' heads:

( ˙͜>˙ )
poe
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 05:08:32 PM »

Cow that looks wonderful, but I don't understand how it would work. I assume it's less confusing when playing though? Any chance you could send me what you ended up with so I can try it out?
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 05:12:19 PM »

It's not quite the same, but my brothers and I always had a blast playing Perfect Dark and using tranq darts liberally throughout the match.
Cow
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 05:46:26 PM »

Cow that looks wonderful, but I don't understand how it would work. I assume it's less confusing when playing though? Any chance you could send me what you ended up with so I can try it out?

It was actually going to be a fairly straightforward Wolfenstein-like game but each boss would have some kind of visual gimmick, for instance the refracting cubes would make up the level of one boss fight, or it would dramatically reduce/increase your field of view, or there would be those 'hall of mirrors' walls like that effect you can get in Doom but placed liberally around.

I'll look for the source, but it won't work on some graphics cards since it's GM and it uses surfaces (and surfaces in 3d which aren't naturally supported by Game Maker).

( ˙͜>˙ )
Praying Mantis
Level 1

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 02:52:22 AM »

Velocity Raptor is a Flash game that explains concepts of Lightspeed travel through gameplay. Try to play through to the later parts, as it gets pretty good.
Inverse Square
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 12:43:40 AM »

Velocity Raptor is a Flash game that explains concepts of Lightspeed travel through gameplay. Try to play through to the later parts, as it gets pretty good.
Thank you so, so much for telling me about this; it's an extraordinary game, as are the others on the website. Why isn't it better known?!
poe
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 09:26:47 AM »

It was actually going to be a fairly straightforward Wolfenstein-like game but each boss would have some kind of visual gimmick, for instance the refracting cubes would make up the level of one boss fight, or it would dramatically reduce/increase your field of view, or there would be those 'hall of mirrors' walls like that effect you can get in Doom but placed liberally around.

I'll look for the source, but it won't work on some graphics cards since it's GM and it uses surfaces (and surfaces in 3d which aren't naturally supported by Game Maker).

Sounds good Smiley
Cow
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 06:18:50 PM »

Sorry, that version of the game isn't on my computer or dropbox apparently. I kind of want to make that again, maybe with a higher resolution. We'll see.

( ˙͜>˙ )
CVaseTYb!!
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 06:40:12 PM »

I was working on a game like this but it hurt peoples' heads:

you gotta follow your heart
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic