Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 06:41:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioWhat to do when the melody doesn't want to appear?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: What to do when the melody doesn't want to appear?  (Read 2434 times)
8thMode
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2013, 02:24:36 PM »

Enharmonic equivalence is something different altogether, e.g. when an F-sharp and a G-flat result in the same note, making them different spellings for the same thing.
In modern musical notation and tuning, an enharmonic equivalent is a note, interval, or key signature that is equivalent to some other note, interval, or key signature but "spelled", or named differently. Thus, the enharmonic spelling of a written note, interval, or chord is an alternative way to write that note, interval, or chord.
Maybe the chord version of it is more of a jazz thing. You know those coked up cats can be a little loose with the specifics!  Toast LeftNoir

The different interpretations of "CFG" are more likely to serve a functional differentiation, e.g. assuming we're in the key of C: Csus4 is probably a "true" suspension on the tonic, while Fsus2 would be a "colored" subdominant chord.
Sure we're in the key of C, but I'm implying the 4th, the F more than anything. Also sus4 gets way to much love, we don't want to hurt sus2's feelings!
KeepItSimple
Level 0

Classically trained composer and trumpet player.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2013, 11:38:37 AM »

CFG
...is a Csus4!
It could be a G7sus4(no5). Just sayin'. I prefer to think of harmony as a result of counterpoint, as Bach or Wagner might, to name just two of countless. If you listen to their music you realize that there are so many interpretations we can give one melody, we won't end this thread soon if we start proposing all of them. This sounds like the beginning of a great TIGSource musical challenge. :D

Keep it simple.
BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2013, 03:44:40 PM »

I started composing after being a jazz pianist and learning improvisation. Coming from that standpoint, I don't really "think" about the melodies in a theoretical sense. Instead I just sit down and start playing with an instrument (or even just the mouse), varying whether I'm experimenting with the left hand (chords) or the right hand (riffs, melodies). Then I just play the same thing over and over, modifying each bit until it "sounds right". Over time I've just learned to associate certain chords with certain "nice sounding" melodic progressions without having any idea at all what the actual theory is behind what I'm doing. Sorry if that's hard to follow!

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic