Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1028437 Posts in 41287 Topics- by 32906 Members - Latest Member: worstbreakfast

July 31, 2014, 07:32:21 AM
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackPlaytestingMunch Face - Love some feedback - Round 2!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Munch Face - Love some feedback - Round 2!  (Read 859 times)
MasterLee
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 27, 2013, 01:54:06 PM »

UPDATE!

So much has changed in the last 2 weeks. Before we start polishing up the game, we wanted to explore more with the core game concept. And what started out as being inspired by Pac-Man has evolved to mashup elements from such games as Portal, Metal Gear Solid and such.

Love to hear your thoughts on this latest iteration. Our next step is to take it even further to include gaming elements from Bomberman, Space Invaders and more:)

Love your feedback on:
What works?
What doesn't?
What should we focus on next?

------------------
Hey all!

Would love to get some feedback on a game we're working on.

It's a game inspired by such classic arcade games like Pac-Man, but with new twists. We basically throw in a bunch of new features like weapons, elemental hazards, new monsters, etc. to see what works.

Our goal eventually is to let you create your own levels and share them.

Right now, we're at an early alpha stage, with just a handful of levels and features. Would love to get some feedback on what you think in general.

Thanks!

CHECK OUT MUNCH FACE!

« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 01:44:50 AM by MasterLee » Logged
marcgfx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 02:58:23 AM »

nice packman clone. nice and fluid, control is good. dont see the point in level select so far. level 3 also seems easier than 1 and 2. the 3 star stuff in level select, makes little sense to me too so far. is that the amount of rounds survived (max 3 but you can play more).
MasterLee
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 01:38:28 AM »

Hey Marc,

Thx fer day feedback! We realized that the way we did progression wasn't all that fun. People didn't realize there were 20 unique levels and just kept playing the first level over and over.

We just updated the game with a batch of new features, so let me know what you think. We basically update each week with new stuff, and the gameplay changes quite a bit because of it.

ie.
New progression mechanic so you are always playing new levels
New types of enemies like Alarm Bots, and Turrets
New health system which you can eventually build up

The idea is to constantly add new things to see how it changes gameplay!
Silverfell
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 07:25:35 AM »

Played through quite a few levels of this one, which is a feather in your cap, since I loathe Pac Man.

Game flow is lovely and fast, and controls never glitched. I loved the little touches like the throwaway weapon and sentry bots, did not love the speedup on taking the pill as much. Somehow, it caught me unawares every single time, even after I knew it was coming. Maybe it's fast, maybe I'm old, who knows.

As for features, I think that adding bonus points for not picking up pills might be an interesting touch. I'm also missing randomly placed bonus objects - they added a lot to Pac Man's game flow. Yeah, I said I hate it, not that I never played it.

Finally, does the enemy AI advance later on? I liked gameplay when sentries were present (because a pill won't kill them), but I found the vanilla enemies a little simple, and easy to avoid.
marcgfx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 08:01:30 AM »

played all 20 levels. you seem to have an issue with game difficulty. i did not notice an increase from level to level. in my opinion mostly the small maps are harder, as there is only very little room to escape. it seems the levels actually get easier to the end (or maybe i just got better quicker than the game got harder). adding the gray bots with attack/chasing is a nice idea, maybe add chasing+shooting bots? i also found the larger levels had more weapons available, i could have used them better in the small worlds Smiley

i think the endless mode adds to the difficulty much better, i'm not so sure if its sensible to have this endlesse mode as a seperate path. keep it linear.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 10:54:17 AM »

Tried it out, only played up to level 8 so far but it's looking pretty good with some interesting ideas.

Now for some feedback!

There should be a visible countdown to go along with the audio countdown before the game starts.

The robot enemies should be killable when you grab a power pellet.  Not sure why they aren't.

The robots that are stationary and shoot fireballs should look different from the ones that chase you and fall back asleep.

There should be a keyboard key you can press to advance to the next level on the "You win" screen, having to reach for the mouse each time is annoying.

It keeps telling me I unlock endless mode every time I beat a level, I don't think this is nessecary.

I occasionally saw pixel gaps in the maze segments.  http://rydia.net/udder/!crap/mazeGaps.png

I also had issues with the level difficulty .. level 6 was significantly easier than level 5, just for starters.  Level 5 has 2 robots and no gun, while level 6 has no robots and a gun.

There should be more variety in music.

Scoring ideas :

Get more points for lining up a bunch of enemies and killing them all with one laser shot.

Get a combo for eating dots and not letting the dot timer drop down to zero.

Get more points for eating dots while in power pellet mode.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 11:01:02 AM by Udderdude » Logged

mychii
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 11:54:56 AM »

Hi, tried the game! nice art and game play. I don't find anything wrong with the game play though, I love the extras, I love how the game flow works fluently, but I think you need more aesthetics to work on.

In Pac Man game, it looks very simple, yet the enemies are amusing. They move their eyes and they animate the way they walk with quite a few frames to draw.

Imagining a more detailed art you have, I think more interactivity should balance your games display as well, especially when you're using 60 fps.

Keep it up. Smiley
FatBasic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 11:09:38 PM »

Fun game and nice graphics Smiley

Here is some thoughts:

- Don't keep showing the sign up popup every time I die or completes a map, I said no the first time and I will keep doing it Wink After the first popup has been shown, just use a normal button which works like the other buttons. If you REALLY want the users to sign up, then make the button more noticeable, like having a glowing pulse effect on it Smiley

- Once I accidentally pressed Play again when I had completed a map. When I died the go to the next map button weren't there.

- One time the drawing became weird and had black horizontal scan lines between each tile.

- When starting a new map, it can be hard to see where the player is. Maybe it's because one of the enemies has the same color as the player.

Hope you can use the feedback! Keep up the good work Smiley
MasterLee
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 05:25:23 PM »

Hey all,

Thx for your feedback! There's some really great suggestions here, so I'm going to get it all teed up.

DIFFICULTY
This is definitely something we gotta address through more playtesting. It's hard to do on our own because all the levels feel very easy to me now Smiley We're building a feedback system directly into the game that'll allow you to leave feedback at specific places which will help hone in better suggestions.

Til then, I'm just gonna keep tweaking level design.

PROGRESSION
The whole flow of things before was really a pain... so that's been completely redone. Now you can play through each level right after another, rather than having to play the same level over and over.

We'll have more fixes in by Friday!
MasterLee
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 01:45:12 AM »

UPDATE!

So much has changed in the last 2 weeks. Before we start polishing up the game, we wanted to explore more with the core game concept. And what started out as being inspired by Pac-Man has evolved to mashup elements from such games as Portal, Metal Gear Solid and such.

Love to hear your thoughts on this latest iteration. Our next step is to take it even further to include gaming elements from Bomberman, Space Invaders and more:)

Love your feedback on:
What works?
What doesn't?
What should we focus on next?
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 03:20:48 AM »

I haven't test it yet, but don't go too overboard with the different gameplay styles .. too many and it'll just turn into a mess IMO.

GameRoom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2013, 01:26:03 PM »

It's nice. Add more sounds and make the graphics smoother. Also, when I beat the third set of levels it took me to the second world even though it wasn't unlocked. And teleporters shouldn't be leaps of faith.
marcgfx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 09:31:53 AM »

i prefer it being more linear now. i had following issues:
- the shop did not work for me, it also frightened me as i was expecting something i would actually have to pay for. maybe call it upgrade?
- i still dont like the fact, that being invincible to one type of enemy is not real invincibility
- i find the teleportation quite confusing, not a big fan of it. the darker ones are also harder to see
- the portal gun is interesting. i didnt find much practical use for it though. it mostly got me killed. it would be a good idea to slowly introduce features like that, while including information on how to use it
- level difficulty does still not rise steadily, first level of the second world i found hardest in that world
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic