Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 23, 2024, 11:04:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSubversive Takedown
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Subversive Takedown  (Read 8360 times)
matpow2
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2013, 08:18:24 AM »

this actually looks really cool! ace of spades meets minecraft kinda vibe to it.

EDIT: derp, didnt realize you worked on ace of spades. Tongue

I was obviously influenced by working with voxels, and I quite like their aesthetics. It's the closest you come to volumetric pixelart in 3D, I suppose. The gameplay, gametypes, etc. are much more influenced by Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, but I also really like the subtle, comical voicechat it has.

In other news, I'm working on a new editor in Qt, since the one I made using handwritten OpenGL for GUI just didn't work out the way I wanted it to. Using MDI, it'll also be much easier to create models and maps in parallel, so I think it'll work out a lot better.

I will be open-sourcing it once it's in a usable state, so people can add whatever tools they want/need.
matpow2
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2013, 12:17:51 PM »

A little update on the editor

PixelTab
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2013, 08:26:21 AM »

Subversive Takedown is a great game. I highly recommend that some people play this game as no one plays this game.

Also hang out on the IRC #ST @ Quakenet
Greg Game Man
Level 5

i have to return some videotapes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2013, 07:29:08 AM »

Loved AoS when it first came out, equal parts frustration and fun - haven't felt that since counter strike!

Didn't get a chance to play properly because no one was online, but id love to see this turn into a competitive, tactical shooter, with:

- more accurate weapons
- faster movement (+crouching)
- "realistic" art (abandoned cities, dense forests.. you can only build with the color palette of the level)
- capture the flag/domination game modes

Do you need an artist? Would be so fun to work on this Smiley

just did a bunch of little items

EDITOR FEEDBACK:
- if i could grab/move/rotate groups of blocks, animation would be 100x improved
- in map maker a "brush" like when you paint height-maps would be great for the initial terrain (sand, grass, dirt), and then afterwards you can drop in your pre-made props like cover/buildings/trees..etc
- be good if "rapid tool use" kicked in if you simply held the button for a while
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 09:03:45 AM by Greg Sergeant » Logged

matpow2
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2013, 03:51:34 PM »

Oh wow, that's some really cool art! I know the current editor has a lot of shortcomings, but I've been working on a new editor in Qt which implements some of the features you mention (e.g. rubberband voxel selection). I like the idea of a level palette - would definitely help with giving the levels a coherent feel. I wonder how easy it would be to add a "base" terrain that can be changed in the map editor - maybe it'd be easier to just have voxel editing tools in the map editor as well (or perhaps move the voxel editor completely into the map editor? hnm).

If you'd like to help as an artist, that would be really awesome. I'm particularly skilled with code and music, but I could definitely need some help with models and maps. You can catch me on IRC at #st @ QuakeNet or XMPP/GTalk at matpow2 (at) gmail (dot) com.

I've uploaded a test build of the new editor here: http://mp2.dk/st/editor-dist.zip
Extract the contents of "editor-dist" to the same location as the ST folder. Most of the shortcuts have been removed in favor of menu actions, but some important ones still exist (e.g. color picking with C). Also, select multiple props using Shift.

I've decided to work a bit on a singleplayer mode since I'd like to elaborate a little on the setting/story of Subversive Takedown, and I think a story mode is an excellent way to explore this. Not sure about the scale of it yet. Some screenshots from a very WIP map (ignore the big, blocky building, will be carving it out so it fits the top structure):

Oh, and some WIP music for it as well.

I'm still undecided on the palette and skybox, but I'll be iterating on it until I hit the perfect apocalyptic mood.
SuperDisk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2013, 04:02:29 PM »

Hello there!

The game looks really cool. Are you developing it by yourself, or with a team? Does it run on Voxlap like Ace of Spades did? It looks quite smooth.

You are also the fellow behind the Anaconda project, correct?
matpow2
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2013, 04:15:39 PM »

I'm the sole developer, even though a couple of people have contributed with models. I mostly work on it when I'm not busy with MMF2 porting work (I am the author of Anaconda/Chowdren, even though I don't maintain the former any longer). Porting can feel a little unfulfilling at times, so Subversive Takedown has sort of become my creative outlet.

The engine/tools are written from scratch Smiley If you didn't know, VOXLAP is horrific - it's really a pain to understand Ken's code, and the license is explicitly non-commercial, so I just went with OpenGL instead. Unless you're trying to hit a hardcore "retro" feel (i.e. voxel billboards), I wouldn't recommend using VOXLAP. It does have some nice, default shading for models, but I just went with normal lighting and SSAO instead.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic