Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 11:30:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudio'chip' or wavetable based audio...
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 'chip' or wavetable based audio...  (Read 1435 times)
z84c00
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 29, 2013, 08:30:27 AM »

Good morning all!

So for all of you folks out there who're making music, can anyone tell me there preference? While wavetable / sample-based is obviously more flexible, it generally takes up more memory. Not really an issue with large memory based systems but not ideal for smaller / retro based hardware.

What do you prefer and do can you make decent sounding tunes with 3 square-waves and noise?

-Z8
CasePortman
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 03:26:02 AM »

When it comes to chiptune, for me, it has to be done right. I notice many 8 bit chip styled tracks on soundcloud that can get very annoying with things like obnoxious overly sustained notes and volumes all over the place. However when done right it can sound really good.

I personally like use a mixture of square waves and modern sounding synths and instruments to give a retro feel yet not keeping within the limitations of 8bit.
MegaFlare
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 07:42:00 AM »

Personally i make chiptune it is fun and challenging you have to work with in a 4bit to 16bit sound cart and make a solid sounding track

heres some of my stuff https://soundcloud.com/mega-flare
CasePortman
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 12:06:50 PM »

Nice, MegaFlare, that's how you do it right.
theMidiTamer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 08:42:34 AM »

I found myself in love with retro sample-based music, as it reminds me of 90s games. I like the approach of sampling every kind of sound myself and working on it in a destructive way (you know bit reduction, mono, lo-fi, very short loop, single sample for the entire keyboard extension, etc.) trying to simulate an old game audio system with little memory.

But then mixing retro samples + other synthesis (8bit or also FM) together gives also new ways to do videogame music, old school but impossible to get back in the days due to hardware limitations.

There are so many creative options today, I don't find reasons to make an exact reproduction of old chip styled music.

Filippo Vicarelli Freelance Audio Artist | filippovicarelli.com | @themiditamer
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic