Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:43:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralGame Pirates get Pirated
Poll
Question: is this awesome y/n?
y - 24 (41.4%)
n - 12 (20.7%)
cactus - 22 (37.9%)
Total Voters: 49

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Game Pirates get Pirated  (Read 3832 times)
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2013, 04:53:20 AM »

The argument basically boils down to if it's a clone or an iteration. There's a weirdly high tolerance level for this in the game industry. Of course it's up to the consumers to draw this line and not law.

I would say that the game above is more of an iteration because of social integration.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 04:59:36 AM by Mono » Logged

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2013, 08:35:30 AM »

i think the issue is more of an intent thing, and when they named their game "game dev tycoon" (vs "game dev story"), their intent is pretty fucking clear as far as i'm concerned. that said, it's not like this is a new genre. there are tons of business "sim" games.

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2013, 08:45:57 AM »

i don't see how anyone could say that those two screenshots are 99% similar, or even 50% similar. the gui and graphics styles are totally different. i'm hard-pressed to find *anything* similar about those two screenshots, except that both involve people sitting at computers in an office?

Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2013, 09:00:35 AM »

The game mechanics are the same.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2013, 09:10:05 AM »

Looks like they need to add another game mode to it, where instead of being ruined by pirates, the player has their game cloned by somebody who adds nothing original to it, casuing them to lose a percentage of their sales.

Or instead of losing a percentage, the company that clones it is named "Pynga" (hurhurhur) and proceeds to make 10,000 times more money off it than you did. :3
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2013, 10:17:05 AM »

For comparison here is Game Dev Story:

Running down the list:
-The art is different, obviously, but they have essentially the same design. People sitting at computers with icons (actual icons in Game Dev Story, colored circles in Game Dev Tycoon).

- Identical UI elements.  Hype, Y# M# W#.

- Identical game elements. Bugs, Research, Design, the idea of mashing two genres together to make your game.

- Similar game elements. Art and music went away and technology took their collective place. Fame became # of Fans.

All told, the game seems to have nothing new (the only difference I can find is that they merged art and music and replaced icons with colored circles).
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2013, 01:43:18 PM »

Let's compare all rpg and the class they use and the stat they use and the item they use ...

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2013, 01:44:28 PM »

Let's compare all rpg and the class they use and the stat they use and the item they use ...

1 out of 10 strawmen, try harder.
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2013, 02:46:27 PM »

1 out of 10 strawmen, try harder.

Playing devil's advocate here, there is the possibility of two developers independently making nearly identical things without having copied each other. In most cases, it's more probable that copying was involved (whether intentional or subconscious), but not necessarily always the case. It would be pretty terrible to have created something from scratch with no knowledge of a similar product that had recently been released, then have your product branded as a clone of it despite never having seen it before. No one would listen to claims that your work was original, even if it truly was.

I'm not familiar enough with this case to weigh in on whether it's an intentional clone or not, just cautioning against initiating witch hunts due to oversensitivity.

mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2013, 04:15:37 PM »

I fucking loved Game Dev Story. I just love maxing out the stats, the game is fast and satisfying. All Kairosoft games are good management games with enough change for each title to make them interesting.

Blambo
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2013, 04:29:30 PM »

This is interesting. Should people pay for a game they've essentially already played?
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2013, 02:53:47 AM »

Playing devil's advocate here, there is the possibility of two developers independently making nearly identical things without having copied each other. In most cases, it's more probable that copying was involved (whether intentional or subconscious), but not necessarily always the case. It would be pretty terrible to have created something from scratch with no knowledge of a similar product that had recently been released, then have your product branded as a clone of it despite never having seen it before. No one would listen to claims that your work was original, even if it truly was.

I'm not familiar enough with this case to weigh in on whether it's an intentional clone or not, just cautioning against initiating witch hunts due to oversensitivity.

That's stupid, because Game Dev Story came out ~2 years before they even started work on Game Dev Tycoon, and a simple googling of '"game dev" game' the first non-Game Dev Tycoon result (excluding the one about Ludum Dare) is about Game Dev Story (and before this stupid story blew up, I'm sure it was the #1 result). Give that the game is about as close to another game as one can be without being a pure clone, I'm not giving them any benefit of the doubt.
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2013, 02:22:30 PM »

That's stupid, because Game Dev Story came out ~2 years before they even started work on Game Dev Tycoon, and a simple googling of '"game dev" game' the first non-Game Dev Tycoon result (excluding the one about Ludum Dare) is about Game Dev Story (and before this stupid story blew up, I'm sure it was the #1 result). Give that the game is about as close to another game as one can be without being a pure clone, I'm not giving them any benefit of the doubt.

"In this one case I know about, the developers have clearly made an intentional clone. Therefore, it's stupid to consider the possibility that any clone ever is unintentional."

I think you might have missed the point of my post, or at least the part where I mentioned I wasn't familiar with this particular case.

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2013, 02:24:53 PM »

why even bother posting at all without at least making a cursory glance at the information in the thread?

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
poe
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2013, 02:48:05 PM »

I asked about people's general opinion on clones a while back.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2013, 04:20:43 PM »

Star Wars Episode II Attack of the Clones is the worst thing ever made by a human.
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2013, 07:55:29 PM »

I always find these types of schemes hilarious because of how generally pointless they are.  Tongue

Either the pirates don't know that your game misbehaving is an anti-piracy feature and now you have a bunch of people telling others your game is shit, or they do know and it's patched out within a week.

What's doubly hilarious is that putting these "trolls" in likely costs dev-time and money, and have to be tested. (unless you like literally breaking your game for legit customers on release day)

Sure pirate reactions are funny, but this has got to be the most expensive and indirect way of going 'lol ur fggt longjohn piratepants'.
Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2013, 02:17:26 AM »

It's just a clever marketing gag. They wouldn't earn a cent from pirates anyways. But this little story made it so fucking far that I even get this story shared by my non-playing friends on FB. And every larger news site picked it up, too. I'm envious :-)

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2013, 03:07:13 AM »

EDIT:
*REDACTED*
Yeah, probably went a bit overboard there.

Anyway, I was speaking in specifics, not generalities. Don't take what I say and then straw man it up, Themsalltook.  I understand that there can be unintentional clones (or near clones like SplosionMan and Explodemon), but I think that you are just being willfully ignorant if you sincerely think that this was completely unintentional.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 05:35:03 AM by Fallsburg » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2013, 04:41:05 AM »

whoa there, buddy
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic