Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 04:13:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingHack'n'Slash Platformer Playable Prototype - Feedback Wanted
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Hack'n'Slash Platformer Playable Prototype - Feedback Wanted  (Read 3733 times)
speng31b
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2013, 06:06:46 PM »

Hey, thanks for the reply!

1) Staff is definitely much stronger than others, that's why I have it off in its own little section on the side. The staff is really only there for fun right now, it's not meant to be balanced with the other weapons.

2) I could add some sort of full screen damage effect to indicate when the player is hit, I suppose, but between knockback and the blue blood droplets I'm not sure how much more I can do with this. When I start putting in sound effects it will probably help, too.

3) Difficulty is really high right now, handling multiple enemies is tough even for me, and I've played this game more than anyone! I'll work on balancing this out later, probably with higher health amounts for the player and more options for dealing damage.

4) You can definitely outrun enemies and reach the end of the prototype. Once I start adding in win conditions and goals aside from simply "reach the end" this will hopefully be less of a problem. I have plans for more interesting systems of character progression, and enemies will drop cool items so hopefully the player won't want to skip them and rush to the end Smiley
speng31b
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2013, 05:49:15 AM »

Currently almost done implementing moving blocks, led to the capture of this gif, thought it was kind of funny:

morbid237
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2013, 08:51:26 AM »

Some Ideas/Feedback

- By instinct I went to x/z, but maybe you could have a diagram showing all the different control options currently available and what they do

- I tried all 5 of the regular weapons. I couldn't really notice any difference in attack speed, and they pretty much all had the same trajectory except the spear. I feel the knife should move much quicker to make up for its limited range and maybe you could add some variation to the sword/axe/mace.

-To me it definitely seemed like the enemies attacks were much quicker, perhaps you could slow down there attack speed for the first level or two and then speed it up to increase the difficulty. And I definitely agree with some of the other posters that when hit the enemies/player should stagger a bit.

I thought your game was pretty cool though, The movement and jumping seemed pretty smooth, and I'm definitly interested in seeing what the final art design looks like.
speng31b
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2013, 09:14:40 AM »

Thanks for the feedback! Here are a few thoughts to address the points you bring up:

- Controls will be custom-bindable soon, so I don't want to put too much effort into documenting control schemes when that is in the near future!

- Weapon speeds and trajectories do need some adjusting, but all weapons definitely aren't the same speed. For example, the short sword is twice as fast as the next fastest weapon, and the staff and mace are very slow. The trajectories are indeed all identical for every weapon except the spear, though, which may add to the appearance of similar speeds. All the code is in-place for giving different weapons unique trajectories and speeds during all three "phases" of the attack, it's just a matter of tweaking numbers, which I will probably spend some time messing around with soon.

- Enemy attacks are exactly the same speed as player attacks; the only factor in attack speed is currently the weapon being used. It may appear that enemies attack more quickly because their AI is clever enough to start the attack a little before they are in range, so they "predict" your movement to some extent. I like the idea of artifically slowing down attack speed to reduce difficulty, though, and it's certainly possible that lower-level enemies will at some point have reduced attack speed to make them easier marks as the player is learning the game.
speng31b
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2013, 02:47:43 PM »

A minor visual update, added a small ghost-motion trail effect to weapon swings to give them hopefully a less static feel.

Also finished implementing moving platforms, so I'll likely have another build with some of that integrated into the prototype gameplay.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic