Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:02:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeThe Ultimate Roguelike Tileset
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: The Ultimate Roguelike Tileset  (Read 10179 times)
oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2013, 07:19:38 PM »

Hello TigSource developers and lurkers!

I'm stopping by the forum because I know many of you are familiar with my sprite work on the LOFI Fantasy sprites that I made as part of the TIGSource Assemblee Competition a few years back, Brogue, Infra Arcana, or Realm of the Mad God.

I have recently completed a new set of higher resolution fantasy sprites that might interest you! The set features thousands of fantasy sprites including heroes, creatures, dungeons, items, portraits, cinematic sets, interface, and more!

Based on the style started with Brogue and Infra Arcana, the set is monochromatic allowing them to be colored dynamically in engine. The set also attempts to retain the simplicity, charm, and flexibility of ascii, with the advantages of a more modern look.

The set is called the Ultimate Roguelike Tileset.
You can get information on the set, including screenshots at: http://oryxdesignlab.com/ultimate

Oryx
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 07:37:47 PM by oryx » Logged
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 07:52:10 PM »

Awesome, very well done :D

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 01:56:40 AM »

Just what I needed  Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 10:31:17 PM »

I never really understood releasing stuff like this. I mean, yeah, it's useful to make money. But if two people make different games from it, it'd look weird. And more ignorant people would probably go "Game X stole art from game Y!"

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 11:24:28 PM »

I think its great. There were plenty of games popping up using Oryx's older sprites, so making some money on the side like this seems like a good idea. It's also excellent value.

And although it might seem weird that the same sprites pop up in a few games, I think its probably an acceptable thing. I mean the same sound effects, physics engines, fonts, icons, etc., get reused, so why not sprites too? :/

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 11:32:42 PM »

These are wonderful! Smiley
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 08:36:41 AM »

Have you tried doing shaded versions of the sprites? Still greyscale, but with 3 or 4 shades? It might look pretty good! Or an even higher resolution monochrome version. Smiley

I think $35 might be a bit too much really.. But I hope it does well. Smiley
JigxorAndy
Level 6

Working on Dungeon Dashers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 06:14:16 PM »

I think $35 is an extremely reasonable price for a set of graphics that you can use commercially.

Really awesome pack there Oryx!

Twitter / Dungeon Dashers: Website / Steam Store
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 01:49:16 AM »

Hmm.. I was looking at it from the amount of work that's gone into the pack (judging from Oryx's blog). But I wasn't thinking about the commercial licence. You are right, that makes it reasonable. Smiley
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 05:37:55 AM »

They look good!  Hand Thumbs Up Right

I would buy if I was making a roguelike.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 09:09:30 AM »

Hmm.. I was looking at it from the amount of work that's gone into the pack (judging from Oryx's blog). But I wasn't thinking about the commercial licence. You are right, that makes it reasonable. Smiley

I didn't keep track but In total it probably represents 100-200 hours of work. Which ends up being about 17 cents an hour for the 35 dollars.
dirtyhand
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 09:46:48 AM »

I purchased the combo set over the weekend. I'm ramping up on game development with Unity + 2D toolkit and I found that the need for good art was putting me in a rut.

But with these sprites, I can keep working on my game prototype without having to search the web for free sprites for every object. Even if I don't end up using these for my final game, they're very helpful (and freaking awesome).

Thanks Oryx!
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 10:40:58 AM »

Oryx: I know what you are seeing, but full games that retail for $35 might represent months or years of work from a lot of people. I don't think it's so easy to do that analogy. But like I said the license aspect is different. Smiley
surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 12:23:56 PM »

...full games that retail for $35 might represent months or years of work from a lot of people.
$35 of game serves a few hours of play time.
$35 of graphical assets serves a few months or years of game development time.

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2013, 01:23:55 PM »

Yep, I just meant that judging it purely on work taken to create it seems too high. SO maybe you need to really emphasise the usage and commercial license of it on your website? Smiley
dumbmanex
Level 1

Stay out of the water!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 09:02:59 PM »

I love the hell out of those hero/villain portraits.   Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right

oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2013, 11:35:34 AM »

I love the hell out of those hero/villain portraits.   Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right

Thanks! I'm excited to see some roguelikes using the new stuff.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2013, 01:12:19 PM »

Could you try a shaded version of one of the sprites as a test? Smiley

I'm just curious if it would work or not..
deevlet
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2013, 02:26:36 PM »

just snapped up the $75 pack. 10/10 would buy again
dirtyhand
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2013, 12:34:28 PM »

Here's an early prototype of a browser roguelike using your tileset. I wouldn't have gotten to this point without your awesome art. Thanks!

http://leftaxe.com/
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 07:43:17 AM by dirtyhand » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic