Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 11:56:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsUNITY FPS ROGUELIKE [video added]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: UNITY FPS ROGUELIKE [video added]  (Read 6691 times)
Greg Game Man
Level 5

i have to return some videotapes

View Profile WWW
« on: May 01, 2013, 03:42:51 AM »

Huh?
Violent pseudo-roguelike fps

So..
Tactical stealth, knifing, fast fast speed

Oh
Unity, 2013, playable demo coming < month (gods be willing)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 06:33:28 AM by Greg Sergeant » Logged

tequibo
Level 1

smoke and mirrors

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 11:42:16 AM »

Looks interesting! Blink

Greg Game Man
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 05:31:52 AM »

Slick as fuck textures, why? Because i found them royalty free online.

Thing is, i was trying to find free assets that looked really good, but now its constricting, because if i want to add my own stuff (i really do!) then i have to try and match that INSANE QUALITY, and it's making me not want to work on the game, because i'm not there yet.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its like im trying to skip ahead 10moves from "just starting in 3D" to "making the sickest shit ever". But it doesn't work like that. I can feel when something isn't right with the project, and it doesn't feel right. So i think im going to throw out all the awesome assets i found online (which is fucking hard because they look so good!), and try to go for a more SIMPLE look that i can make with my own two hands.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fun workflow > End Quality i guess.

WOULD LOVE TO HEAR YOU GUYS'S INPUT ON THIS!

Unrelated dance gif: any 3D moguls will be happy to know i've learnt about topology and edge loops since this!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 05:37:25 AM by Greg Sergeant » Logged

Greg Game Man
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 08:50:53 AM »

Texture Painting in blender is some kind of magic! I've been playing with it today and it feels so natural.

(if you don't know, you can just paint directly onto your model inside the 3D editor at any angle you like, also includes texture painting and a few blending modes)

--------------------------------------------------

I avoided 3D before because it seemed more like engineering than art.
But i'm finding ways to get around that, and enjoying it so much. I guess i forgot to keep it simple, and keep it FUN!

Thanks for checking out this thread!

Greg Game Man
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 01:19:16 PM »

Whats up friends!   Gentleman

I've been experimenting in blender today, trying to find a workflow that is simple, looks good, but most importantly minimizes "mechanical" style tasks and exaggerated pure creativity.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Through MANY FAILURES TODAY, and long hard work (difficult when its so hot outside!), i've arrived at this which i'm really proud of. To me it is finally a moment of, "ahhh, this might just work.." after doubting if i can even pull off this game and how i would acomplish the 3D art. 3D is a steep challenge, and i've thrown out so much work just trying to find a foothold, but challenge is what its all about! Right? ... isn't it?  Durr...?

----------------------------------
The workflow (for the guys in the trenches Tongue)
> box model a low poly in blender
> smart unwrap
> in side view orthographic, turn off occlude/cull/normal, tilt the model a tiny amount
> now you paint onto the side as if it were a 2D image of a gun (texture paint mode)
> when YOU'RE HAPPY, turn back on occlude/cull/normal, and clean up the front/top

VOILA, we spent all our time painting and modelling, instead of fucking around with UV's and when we paint we SEE IT IN 3D, not in 2D which is a weird disconnect for me. I know its not professional, but its fun for me.

-----------------------------------------

I would LOVE FEEDBACK, especially on the overall style and if you have 3D tips for me i definitely need them! haha, thanks for checkin out this devblog, have a great day

tequibo
Level 1

smoke and mirrors

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 02:43:57 PM »

Looking rather good!
Though grip seems a bit short and too wide. But still very good for a first weapon model. I like general style direction and the fact that pistol looks heavy.
Keep it up!

Oh, and speaking of Blender: lovely page with Blender keyboard shortcuts
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 02:53:16 AM by tequibo » Logged

deathtotheweird
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 06:22:19 PM »

I like the low poly low texture res style.

that gun needs a trigger guard though.
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 07:30:34 PM »

Looks good! Any, you know, actual gameplay notes though?

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Greg Game Man
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 03:34:18 AM »

Tequibo - really appreciate the support right from the start, thanks for the shortcuts, we should skype and talk roguelikeFPS ideas Smiley

Allen
- your boxed in game inspired me a lot, to get into Unity!

mooosh - haha agreed, my gf said "it looks like a different game every time i see it".. i like to keep things open and experiment until i find things that work, its not efficient but we'll see what happens

Impmaster - shuuushhh hype first Tongue haha yes though, it plays a bit like quake + hotline miami, you're very vulnerable but can 1 hit kill your enemies, so its about reactions/speed with a bit of stealth.

Greg Game Man
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 10:59:52 AM »

Good evening game enthusiasts!

Today i rigged, skinned and animated this enemy. It's the same model as the knight above, i'm going to parent his weapon to his hand inside Unity so i can swap out weapons easily. You might even be able to shoot his gun out of his hand, and also decapitate him. The game seems to be going in a James Bond direction, which gives me loads of room to play with gadgets and procedural mission objectives.

Does anyone know how to get different brushes in blender texture paint?

--------------------------------------------------

Gonna give a shoutout to my pal Tequibo, just played his alpha build and its fucking great, check out his devlog: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=29008.0

And check out this quick post i wrote yesterday about motivation and keeping your drive alive (it features Gabe Newell quotes): http://greg-anims.com/?p=960

THANKS GUYS!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 11:07:20 AM by Greg Sergeant » Logged

Hawt Koffee
Level 1

That's a wild fire.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 09:50:45 PM »

I was actually part of a team planning an FPS rogue-like
but the project never left the ground
I still have all the assets I made for it
but this project of yours looks very nice so far, if you need an artist proficient in blender let me know. I've been using it for 6 years.
Greg Game Man
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 03:23:19 AM »

if you need an artist proficient in blender let me know.

Man i've been in that situation a few times!!
Thanks a lot for the offer! What happened to your light/dark multiplayer project?

Hawt Koffee
Level 1

That's a wild fire.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 11:21:36 AM »

if you need an artist proficient in blender let me know.

Man i've been in that situation a few times!!
Thanks a lot for the offer! What happened to your light/dark multiplayer project?
the team of programmers that wanted to work on it tried to change too much and planned too little, in the end it died again
Greg Game Man
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 06:38:42 AM »

Good afternoon friends!

I send out the prototype to a few people, and Tequibo recorded his play through.

Heres a quick look!:

Next up will be getting everything into the level builder, and putting out a playable demo Beer!

laxwolf
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 10:00:33 AM »

Coming along nicely! I actually really like the sounds. Plus you are using blender for the models, my first love. Good luck!

Solo artist, modeler, designer, and programmer.
Greg Game Man
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 11:19:15 AM »

Coming along nicely! I actually really like the sounds. Plus you are using blender for the models, my first love. Good luck!

Wow thanks man, this means a lot to me because your work is absolutely unbelievable.

I would LOVE to talk to you on Skype for a bit about 3D and games, i wont take much of your time.

I'm not very confident about 3D, but i'm just pushing through walls, fighting the urge to go back to 2D and keep putting out content anyway to improve..and hopefully share that journey with others to inspire them as well.

ColePowered
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 08:57:44 AM »

Your 3D is looking great, much smoother than my sketchy first attempts. You're right- it does feel more like engineering at first, but then after you know what you're doing it soon starts to feel more like an art.

Detective Immersive Sim Shadows of Doubt | City deck building puzzle game Concrete Jungle
@ColeJefferies
Giaddon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2013, 09:26:41 AM »

HEY! HEY! HEYHEYHEY!

Very cool work, Greg, you're definitely inspiring me to work more with 3D!

Alex Higgins
Level 2

@alchiggins on Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2013, 12:44:30 PM »

Models and textures look rad.

My Dev Blog! >  Sassy Echidna Software
WIP >  Monsterpunk
Latest Game >  Bloodjak
FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2013, 12:52:51 PM »

This looks really fun, looking forward to playing this!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic