Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1038028 Posts in 41936 Topics- by 33554 Members - Latest Member: Beardy

September 01, 2014, 10:34:41 AM
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhat do you think about a free trial game?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What do you think about a free trial game?  (Read 608 times)
mychii
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2013, 05:15:01 AM »

Hi!

Just wanna know your opinion about a game that uses free-trial to buy the game. For example, you're offered an interesting game but you're only allowed to play for 30 minutes/hours/days/whatever and then you have to pay afterwards.

Does that make you uninterested to even try it at all, or you'll try it and if you like it you'll buy it? I mean, does this even bother you at all?

My sister said once she saw a free-trial kind of offer like that, she would just leave it without even trying it yet even if the screenshots/videos of the game looks interesting.
I wonder if its really that nasty...

I really would love to know your opinion. :D
Dr. Cooldude
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 05:18:38 AM »

I'm not a fan of trial versions at all. I do prefer demos though (by demos I mean the kind where you can play the game until a specific place in the game).

But it really depends on what kind of game we're talking about right now. In some cases, a trial might be fine, but in general I will be more tempted to play a game if it says "Demo" rather than "Trial".

EDIT: Also, I have a lifelong habit of linking the word "Trial" to low-quality shareware programs.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 06:02:00 AM by Dr. Cooldude » Logged
Trystin
Level 4

Nyoom

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 05:21:20 AM »

Don't do it, if you're going to limit anything - limit how many times you can launch the game or something. But trials are a no no in my opinion.

caiys
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 05:32:36 AM »

Sounds dum. It weirdly discriminates between better/slower players and what's to stop somebody from just reinstalling it to reset the clock?
Dr. Cooldude
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 06:04:45 AM »

Sounds dum. It weirdly discriminates between better/slower players and what's to stop somebody from just reinstalling it to reset the clock?
Exactly, as caiys said, it makes it easier for someone to "crack" the clock, which makes it a bad deal even for the developer. Demos is the way to go.
mychii
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 06:32:37 AM »

I'm not a fan of trial versions at all. I do prefer demos though (by demos I mean the kind where you can play the game until a specific place in the game).

But it really depends on what kind of game we're talking about right now. In some cases, a trial might be fine, but in general I will be more tempted to play a game if it says "Demo" rather than "Trial".

EDIT: Also, I have a lifelong habit of linking the word "Trial" to low-quality shareware programs.

True on this, I myself also relates Trial to those low quality shareware programs as well. So in your opinion its more like about the naming ("30 days free demo")? Or simply better to give a free demo that is available forever?

Based on overall opinion so far, I guess it must be really that nasty, as nasty as what Trystin describes in the image (that GIF is so funny btw, I asked my sister if it describes how she really felt about trial game, and yeah more or less LOL).
Dr. Cooldude
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 06:38:07 AM »

So in your opinion its more like about the naming ("30 days free demo")? Or simply better to give a free demo that is available forever?

The last one: Yes.
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 06:48:23 AM »

Or simply better to give a free demo that is available forever?

Yes. And actually make it a demo version - offer a vertical slice of gameplay - and for heaven's sake don't include the full game & game assets "locked away by code", because that becomes "locked away by easily cracked code".

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
VDZ
Level 3

My post is there read that instead ->

supervdz@dolfijn.nl
View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 07:09:48 AM »

I myself don't mind 30-day trials, though I still prefer normal demos. 30-minute demos give me a similar reaction to the one displayed in the GIF, however. ESPECIALLY if the game is any good.

While on the subject of demos, removing the save feature in a demo is also very unfun, and it's very annoying if you can't transfer over your demo save to the full game.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 07:40:38 AM »

If it'sz a good, legitimate game, then limited content demo will antagonize your players less, if it's shovelware (casual/mobile game), then I think limited time demo has been proven to make more sales, because that's what most shovelware pros use.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Pandara_RA!
Level 5

Maximum Friendship All Day

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 02:09:42 PM »

It makes little sense, because with a demo you can direct what high point the player ends on, where a time demo might just get in the middle of no where and it shuts down

mychii
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 07:21:03 PM »

I myself don't mind 30-day trials, though I still prefer normal demos. 30-minute demos give me a similar reaction to the one displayed in the GIF, however. ESPECIALLY if the game is any good.

While on the subject of demos, removing the save feature in a demo is also very unfun, and it's very annoying if you can't transfer over your demo save to the full game.

Nice input, thanks! Grin

If it'sz a good, legitimate game, then limited content demo will antagonize your players less, if it's shovelware (casual/mobile game), then I think limited time demo has been proven to make more sales, because that's what most shovelware pros use.

Yeah I saw that too. But I really still don't have the numbers on how shovelware works. You know, with such production quantity would give how much per game, and the effort of making a lot of games like that. From what I conclude from your statement, it appears like limited-time demo isn't quite a match for a somewhat better quality games.

It makes little sense, because with a demo you can direct what high point the player ends on, where a time demo might just get in the middle of no where and it shuts down

Agree on that.
Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 01:15:02 AM »

For me:

Broad/deep limited-content demo
>
broad/deep/decently-long time-limited demo
>
shallow limited-content demo
>
shallow/too-short time-limited demo

I play demos to find out if I like a game enough to buy it; if I don't get enough time, or I don't have enough exposure to the game systems to make a decision, I'm more likely to assume that the reason I didn't get that is because the game isn't that good and the publisher knows it.

The original GTA had a fairly short time-limited demo, and from it I mostly got the impression that it was a free-roaming 'fun' drive-around-and-cause-chaos game, but that was it. I'm not sure if I remember even realising there were missions in the demo. I never bought the game, and didn't get into GTA games until Vice City. These days, Chinatown Wars - which I'm told is much more like the original two GTA games - is my favourite of the series so far.

I was a huge fan of the original UFO: Enemy Unknown, but partly since the demo of the new one didn't really show off the non-tactical part of the game at all, I've been reluctant to buy it.

Crackdown's demo was time-limited, but aside from restricting you to one island I don't think they limited the content, and they gave you long enough to play around with it and understand the major points of the game... and on the strength of that I bought the game.

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 05:46:30 AM »

I like playing demos more than time - controlled trials. I remember when I started to play WOW, I played the demo over and over again to gain the skills necessary. If I had been on a trial, I would never have been able to play enough to enjoy the game.

Do I need a signature?
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic