Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 07:10:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsI Am The Bomb (devlog)
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: I Am The Bomb (devlog)  (Read 9761 times)
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2013, 09:38:25 AM »

Finally implemented the weapon changing system.

You start with a basic pistol which has unlimited ammunition. If you pick up another weapon you can shoot it until you run out of ammo, after which you throw the weapon away and go back to your pistol.

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2013, 04:21:28 PM »

but that's not intuitive ... having to pick two stuff at the same time Sad

You need to set the player's goal to one if you want your game to be fair with a time limit ...
laxwolf
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2013, 05:33:43 PM »

I love the new additions and the weapons seem satisfying. The graphics are great as well. It would be cool if you had a combo system which built up your "blast." The more enemies you kill in series, the bigger your death will be. You could build up tremendously huge explosions so dying vaporizes all the enemies on screen, adding to your final score. Other things that would be cool are chain attacks; enemies give off a certain sized explosion so they can damage/destroy nearby enemies. A smart player could herd the enemies into a string and blast them all away. You could also add spikes on the walls so platforming becomes more challenging. I also thought of an enemy that jumps on the player and sucks away the time, if you can't get it off, you're toast.

Whiteclaw, saying the game isn't fun because it lacks features and than criticizing the features he adds is not helpful. Though, you do have a point with the time aspect. It would be better if killing enemies added time, adding to the incentive to actually kill enemies. Maybe make the amount of time given reliant on the size of the enemies. You may spend extra time killing a big enemy but the time might be worth it. Killing smaller enemies in small numbers may not be worth it because they give you less time. It adds a more strategic element to the combat.

Solo artist, modeler, designer, and programmer.
Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2013, 04:43:16 AM »

but that's not intuitive ... having to pick two stuff at the same time Sad

You need to set the player's goal to one if you want your game to be fair with a time limit ...

The weapons drop out of enemies, so they won't appear completely out of your way.

It would be cool if you had a combo system which built up your "blast." The more enemies you kill in series, the bigger your death will be. You could build up tremendously huge explosions so dying vaporizes all the enemies on screen, adding to your final score.

I'm thinking about something along those lines. Not sure if combos are the way to go, but I want some way to increase (maybe temporarily) the final explosion size. Maybe a random power-up that drops out of enemies and increase your explosion for the next... 20 seconds or something. So you can either make use of it in those 20 seconds or try to survive longer.

Other things that would be cool are chain attacks; enemies give off a certain sized explosion so they can damage/destroy nearby enemies. A smart player could herd the enemies into a string and blast them all away.

There will be specific enemy types that will explode, the larger ones Smiley

You could also add spikes on the walls so platforming becomes more challenging.

There is an 'easy' and 'medium' difficulty level, I think this a good idea for the hard one when I make it!

It would be better if killing enemies added time, adding to the incentive to actually kill enemies. Maybe make the amount of time given reliant on the size of the enemies. You may spend extra time killing a big enemy but the time might be worth it. Killing smaller enemies in small numbers may not be worth it because they give you less time. It adds a more strategic element to the combat.

I'm afraid that if enemies added time there would be little incentive to go after the coin pickups and people would just stand in one place and shoot everything that comes close. Right now you have to constantly be aiming for the next pickup but also shooting enemies along the way to clear your path and earn points, because the amount of enemies killed is your final score.

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2013, 01:24:11 PM »

that doesn't help ... As the enemies can be at places unreachable for the player , you need to think of an easy to use system that gives the player the chance of getting the weapons without having to dismiss the main objective of getting his time up ...

you get tokens by taking the timer adders , and when clicking a button you can use some to give you items , and the more you sacrifice , the better weapons you'll get ...
Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2013, 05:25:10 AM »

I want to keep it simple, with no additional interface needed for the weapons. And the main goal is to both increase your time and kill enemies.
But I think I'll make the weapons drop to the ground after popping out enemies, so they won't spawn in places that are too hard to reach, like right under the ceiling.

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2013, 01:37:07 PM »

you could do an ammo counter at the top of the player and change the weapon when the ammo is at 0 , that would mae for some interesting gameplay !
Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2013, 01:39:42 PM »

yeah , that would be excellent for the current setup ! you could add that to some of super crate box unlocking elements but with time survived at the place of crate collected!

that would make the games different , but as much addicting as each others !
Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2013, 11:28:52 AM »

I don't know... having another weapon just handed to you automatically doesn't seem very fun.

But here's some new things:

Rocket Launcher

Bullet casings

Exploding enemy that kills others around it

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2013, 11:40:40 AM »

You can't say anything without trying it out !
Make an ammo counter just at the top of the player and give the player a new weapon each time it reaches 0 , I promise you'll like it , just be sure to give the weapon arsenal a variety like in Super Crate Box
Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2013, 02:57:50 PM »

The development has slowed down lately because it's the end of the semester at my university, but I managed to make a grenade launcher and proper models for all the weapons:

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2013, 06:19:35 AM »

How is progress going ?
Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2013, 07:05:35 AM »

No time to dev right now because of all the exams at the university. And right after they finish I go away to work abroad for two months so unfortunately there will be no progress until September :C

Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2014, 08:09:27 AM »

OK, I'm back at this project, intend to finish it up real quick and start something new. I added a third level and polished everything. I was trying out a lot of different weapon changing mechanisms but in the end came to the conclusion that Super Crate Box did it the best way possible and there is really no point in trying too hard to be original when no other solution comes even close to getting random weapons for grabbing pickups.

Here you can see the new level (now with environmental hazards!) and the weapon changing in action:

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2014, 08:36:41 AM »

It's alive ! Ladies and gentlemenz !
Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2014, 06:30:36 AM »

Welp, the game is done, it can be downloaded here:

Windows
Linux 32bit
Linux 64bit
Mac OSX

All in all it has 3 levels, 3 types of enemies, 5 or so weapons and 4 music tracks by Sabonis.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic