Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:35:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCloudface
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66
Print
Author Topic: Cloudface  (Read 192729 times)
siskavard
« Reply #1280 on: November 20, 2015, 09:13:24 AM »

behbeh

siskavard
« Reply #1281 on: November 20, 2015, 10:46:33 AM »

we got some very basic dialogue in!
vatigo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1282 on: November 20, 2015, 11:51:48 AM »

nice!
baby cloudface is adorable :D

siskavard
« Reply #1283 on: November 25, 2015, 08:45:34 AM »

all aboard the baby train!

Cloudbabies will be hiding in every level. Once you find them, they'll follow & will help you find the others by dancing whenever there's one hiding nearby. Get to the end of the stage with all 5 & get a bonus!

« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 01:34:09 PM by siskavard » Logged
brantkings
Level 0

I like games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1284 on: November 25, 2015, 01:31:37 PM »

Great scott the animations are too good
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 01:47:11 PM by brantkings » Logged

siskavard
« Reply #1285 on: November 26, 2015, 06:48:30 PM »

having way too much fun with the NPC stuff.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: November 26, 2015, 07:10:38 PM »

you should add some spiky hair and an impossibly big and in no time you will be in ssb4

siskavard
« Reply #1287 on: November 26, 2015, 07:43:22 PM »

you should add some spiky hair and an impossibly big and in no time you will be in ssb4

good idea - I'll start working on an impossibly big.
siskavard
« Reply #1288 on: January 12, 2016, 12:52:42 PM »

This game is way too big.

I mean, it's way too big.

I started this project 3 years ago, before I had any experience making games. I did the classic make-a-gigantic-game-for-your-first-game mistake that a lot of people do. Ya, it's embarrassing but at the same time who cares? I've since started a game company with a good friend of mine, & we've made small games on contract & for ourselves. We've learned a lot about how to make games properly, & one way to make a good game is to make a small game that is actually manageable.

Cloudface will be scaled back a lot. Like, it's going to be a really small game now. I'm sure some people will not like that, but oh well. We still need funding to make it happen, but having a more realistic budget to work with is an easier project to get funded than a very expensive one.

So, if anyone still cares, that's where the game is at right now & it's still nowhere near being done, but scaling the scope of the game back to something actually doable is going to help a lot.

Video games.

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: January 12, 2016, 01:28:44 PM »

The possibility to make a bigger game with the same character(s) will always be there. A small game is still way better than an unfinished game, which is equal to no game. Good luck finishing something! I'm sure it will be fun. Smiley
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #1290 on: January 12, 2016, 02:06:38 PM »

The possibility to make a bigger game with the same character(s) will always be there. A small game is still way better than an unfinished game, which is equal to no game. Good luck finishing something! I'm sure it will be fun. Smiley

That summarizes my feelings exactly. Looking forward to it!

siskavard
« Reply #1291 on: January 12, 2016, 05:29:57 PM »

awe thanks guys.

Definitely looking forward to it too
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: January 12, 2016, 07:11:43 PM »

Storsorgen
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: January 13, 2016, 01:15:11 AM »

I'd like to suggest a bigger font!
joeyspacerocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1294 on: January 13, 2016, 01:27:40 AM »

So, if anyone still cares, that's where the game is at right now & it's still nowhere near being done, but scaling the scope of the game back to something actually doable is going to help a lot.

Video games.

Well done on taking the decision - not an easy one when you've been working on something for that long. In exactly the same position with my game and still deciding which way to flop. At this rate I might have to release a flick book of animated gif vignettes taken for screenshot saturday.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

siskavard
« Reply #1295 on: January 13, 2016, 08:53:13 AM »

I'd like to suggest a bigger font!

yup, working on that!

Well done on taking the decision - not an easy one when you've been working on something for that long. In exactly the same position with my game and still deciding which way to flop. At this rate I might have to release a flick book of animated gif vignettes taken for screenshot saturday.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

if you just released an album of gifs of Spooky Pooky I would still buy it
Aamp
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1296 on: January 18, 2016, 12:09:23 PM »

I read this whole devlog yesterday. I like a lot of things about it and even had some good laughs. Offers up some insight and shows optimism throughout. I though I'd start making a game.. that was over 7 years ago now. I focused too much on making a huge world which took an hour to play through. Then it took on another direction and all that level design became useless. I used to force myself to make a screen each day. That's when I should have realized my first game is too big! Would still love to make something out of it. Maybe I will but loving to see all this skill and determination here. Keep it up!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: February 17, 2016, 02:32:50 AM »

How about releasing this "scaled back" version as an Early Access title, then scale up to the original vision? This way you'd still make earn money to finish it and then you could use it to work on making it to the original vision. I plan to do this with Computer Virus Simulator.

Yes, I've planned 100 levels for it (with possibility of an expansion pack containing second hundred levels) and yes, this IS very big, but the EA version will have like 10 levels or so which then will be updated in 5 level increments (unless there's a bug that requires me to fix it ASAP).

Be a computer virus!

I cannot C well, so I stick with simpler languages.

There are no impossible things, there is only lack of skill.
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1298 on: February 17, 2016, 02:46:18 AM »

I started this project 3 years ago, before I had any experience making games. I did the classic make-a-gigantic-game-for-your-first-game mistake that a lot of people do. Ya, it's embarrassing but at the same time who cares? I've since started a game company with a good friend of mine, & we've made small games on contract & for ourselves. We've learned a lot about how to make games properly, & one way to make a good game is to make a small game that is actually manageable.

Cloudface will be scaled back a lot. Like, it's going to be a really small game now. I'm sure some people will not like that, but oh well. We still need funding to make it happen, but having a more realistic budget to work with is an easier project to get funded than a very expensive one.

Video games.

Damn I missed this entry. A few days ago I even voted this as my favorite project at the devlog of the year thing.

I totally understand your situation. I've been there and I am still there apparently. It's funny how every new project I start is smaller than the previous one. Goes against our intuition. But rescaling is a good idea. Fine tune the project to something doable.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe one thing that made this project too big is your plan to make everything animated like that. Maybe try a different technique! I know it seems like a waste of your talent as an animator but it does seem time consuming. Take me as an example, I invested years of my life in 3D modeling and animation and none of my projects use that skill for precisely that reason. Having the skill to make an animated 3D model does not make it feasible to design a game full of 3D animated models.

Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1299 on: February 17, 2016, 12:39:10 PM »

Hey Siskavard, I'm sorry the scope had become crushing- but at the same time, it's also exciting to know that also means things on the horizon that are coming sooner!

Will the reimagining of Cloudface reuse the same assets? I hope you can still put all of the beauty here to work!

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic