Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:56:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesEA gets exclusive Star Wars license
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: EA gets exclusive Star Wars license  (Read 2896 times)
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: May 06, 2013, 01:54:49 PM »

EA Obtains Exclusive Rights To Star Wars (via Joystiq)

FFFFFFFF$&!(*&#!!!!

This is one of the scenarios I was afraid of when I heard that Lucas Arts was getting shut down. Lucas Arts had become a pale shadow of its former self. Putting it out to pasture was not a mistake. But the loss of Lucas Arts opened the door for something like THIS to happen!

Now a single publisher, and EA no less, has exclusive access to the Star Wars license for producing video games. While this could lead to one or two decent titles, it will also hamstring any and all competition between potential Star Wars licensees. It's the NFL exclusive Madden license all over again.

If anyone else thinks this is a positive development, please state the arguments for your position. At the moment, I am hard-pressed to even imagine a scenario where this works out well for consumers, or Star Wars game development.
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 03:00:36 PM »

Oh well, there goes my dream of a Platinum developed Force Unleashed Sad

CVaseTYb!!
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 03:07:13 PM »

oh no!
saturdaymorning
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 03:09:25 PM »

i wouldn't mind a battlefield: star wars game Shrug
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 03:10:41 PM »

oh no!

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 03:54:25 PM »

Micro-payment bullshit incoming !
Uykered
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 04:21:44 PM »

As long as they're not exclusive to Origin and not badly designed then it'll be fine. Dice might make a new X-wing game!
pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 04:24:52 PM »

Working at dice, this is a fucking wonderful thing Tongue
(disregarding that: might be cool, might be shit  Shrug )

I AM FREE!
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 06:42:23 PM »

I'd be happier if it meant those guys did the same genres and styles of games and just ignored the Star Wars license.

The first three movies were good. We need to move on to new things. Only the obsessive will get upset if you make a desert planet in your sci-fi game and it's populated by something other than jawa, hutts and tusken raiders.
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 07:28:12 PM »

i wouldn't mind a battlefield: star wars game Shrug

New Star wars: Battlefront? EA has the money to make this happen.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 12:14:09 AM »

Here's hoping for a new X-Wing game as a first person-shooter with all the space combat parts presented as either cutscenes or rail shooter sections. That'd be totally sweet.
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 12:31:30 AM »

Here's hoping for a new X-Wing game as a first person-shooter with all the space combat parts presented as either cutscenes or rail shooter sections. That'd be totally sweet.

I don't want cutscenes. I want endless QTEs. Maybe with a healthy dab of IAPs. Oooh, how about social features so I can see where my friends are at?

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 03:58:13 AM »

preeeetty sure we're gonna make a moe anime top-down maid rpg exclusively for windows phones though Waaagh!

I AM FREE!
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 04:25:06 AM »

I'm still waiting for a new Jedi Knight game. Looks like it won't happen any time soon.

Seriously though, why are there so little Star Wars games about lightsaber duelling, isn't that what the whole setting is about?

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 04:29:53 AM »

I remember I liked Han Solo when I first watched Star Wars. He uses a lightsaber once, and that's to cut that alien horse thing in the snow planet.

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 06:47:42 AM »

That was a tauntaun, you heathen!

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 06:47:47 AM »

I'm actually pretty okay with this. Recognizing Disney for what it has become today - essentially a merchandising and licensing company that subcontracts their work - I can't think of another publisher that could possibly handle the spectrum of Star Wars games. Sony Entertainment, maybe? Certainly not Activision, they've been making nothing but third and first person shooters.

Moreover, I think giving the "little" giant of EA a bigger giant to fucking answer to, instead of just answering to investors and customers, could be a good thing.

I'm still waiting for a new Jedi Knight game. Looks like it won't happen any time soon.

Seriously though, why are there so little Star Wars games about lightsaber duelling, isn't that what the whole setting is about?

Force Unleashed had some good duels.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 07:04:53 AM »

I'm actually pretty okay with this. Recognizing Disney for what it has become today - essentially a merchandising and licensing company that subcontracts their work - I can't think of another publisher that could possibly handle the spectrum of Star Wars games.

Here's my question...why does it have to be one publisher? Or one developer? Why would they go with one big exclusive license? This is what is troubling me about this arrangement.

Lucas Arts was no stranger to licensing out the Star Wars properties to other developers. They did this all the time. But they actually had a pretty good track record with the results.

EA doesn't have a good track record of dealing with their own internal IP, let alone someone else's. Need I remind you what happened when EA got their hands on the Marvel license? Marvel snatched that IP back quickly after that fiasco.
ericmbernier
Level 3

Sometimes I make games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2013, 07:14:03 AM »

The optimist in me sees this news and hopes KOTOR3 actually comes to fruition Beg. Whether or not it is the same, solid KOTOR experience from the first two is a different story.

ham and brie
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2013, 08:01:29 AM »

Here's my question...why does it have to be one publisher? Or one developer? Why would they go with one big exclusive license?

It probably comes down to not wanting to keep many staff to organise the licensing. With an exclusive license over core titles going to EA, it's EA's staff which makes decisions such as which projects get approved. Without some central decision making, you'd risk things such as two similar games going into development with the same license which are similar enough to cannibalise sales.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic