Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:06:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesEA gets exclusive Star Wars license
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: EA gets exclusive Star Wars license  (Read 2897 times)
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2013, 08:18:04 AM »

I'm actually pretty okay with this. Recognizing Disney for what it has become today - essentially a merchandising and licensing company that subcontracts their work - I can't think of another publisher that could possibly handle the spectrum of Star Wars games.

Here's my question...why does it have to be one publisher? Or one developer? Why would they go with one big exclusive license? This is what is troubling me about this arrangement.

That was the preamble about recognizing Disney for what it is.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2013, 08:27:35 AM »

Without some central decision making, you'd risk things such as two similar games going into development with the same license which are similar enough to cannibalise sales.

Cannibalizing sales from similar titles is bad for a publisher, but not for the license holder. The license holder gets paid no matter how many similar games get made. And the competition between similar games getting made keeps the scene competitive, and drives the different developers and publishers to try to make their games better in order to be competitive.

I get the whole "laziness" angle. I just don't think that its what's best for the player, the purchaser, or the IP franchise as a whole.

That was the preamble about recognizing Disney for what it is.

Being a licensing company doesn't necessarily mean being a bad steward of the IP property you are farming out. Lucas Arts themselves farmed out the Star Wars IP over the years, and actually got a few really good titles out of this approach. (Rogue Leader and Rogue Squadron were great) Disney may just be a big licensing farm, but that doesn't mean they have to be a BAD licensing farm. But this exclusive deal with EA strikes me as a mistake.
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2013, 08:37:51 AM »

I don't see a problem in this except for the fact that a lot of the games will probably spawn from the upcoming movies. To be fair the new movies could be great... :/ Dice making a Battlefront game would be cool.

ham and brie
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2013, 09:09:54 AM »

Cannibalizing sales from similar titles is bad for a publisher, but not for the license holder. The license holder gets paid no matter how many similar games get made.

More like they don't paid at all, because the deals don't happen.

When someone licenses an IP, such as from film, for developing a game, part of the contract would be that a similar game can't also go into development with that IP. There aren't publisher/developers who would put money into developing e.g. an X-Wing style game without the deal being that there won't be another. A licensor can put in work trying to chop up rights, trying to make more deals, but you need staff to handle that and it's more uncertain than making a big deal.
Benjamin385
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2013, 02:01:27 PM »

If Dice makes a battlefront game - I will Squee in joy followed by uncontrollable star wars fan boy Screams!

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2013, 02:09:17 PM »

Star Wars has already been whored out more than a Las Vegas strip club, not like this is going to make much of a difference in the long run ..
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2013, 03:50:51 PM »

i can't begin to tell you how little this affects me
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2013, 03:52:29 PM »

what affects you, joe?

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2013, 03:59:54 PM »

what affects you, joe?
i speak in a flat, affectless monotone, with the steady meter of hal 9000, and say please do not disturb me when i am pressing benches. also, flatulence.
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2013, 04:07:17 PM »

do you ever make wind when benching?

poe
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2013, 04:51:28 PM »

what affects you, joe?
i speak in a flat, affectless monotone, with the steady meter of hal 9000, and say please do not disturb me when i am pressing benches. also, flatulence.

>Execute "War Games"
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2013, 06:03:33 PM »

I'm sure the animation world disregard video games except as a big market for derivative product.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2013, 06:22:10 PM »

the "animation world" (U.S. at least) are the biggest shills and they know it

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
GroZZleR
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2013, 06:24:19 PM »

I remember I liked Han Solo when I first watched Star Wars. He uses a lightsaber once, and that's to cut that alien horse thing in the snow planet.

All this blasphemy in such a little span of text!

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2013, 06:55:52 PM »

At least I remembered it! I grew annoyed at star wars after my brother watched it over an over again outside my room.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic