Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1037841 Posts in 41923 Topics- by 33539 Members - Latest Member: Kalaniseguin

August 31, 2014, 11:31:08 PM
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperCreativeArtWorkshopColoring advice for 16x16 pixel drawing
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Coloring advice for 16x16 pixel drawing  (Read 1224 times)
dirtyhand
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2013, 10:06:02 PM »

I'm teaching myself pixel art and decided to start at 16x16. I took a stab at using shades of a color for lighting. But I know that I could improve this. I'd appreciate some advice on the pallet, lighting, and any other advice you might have.

dirtyhand
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 10:46:59 PM »

Here is a knight.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 10:53:18 PM by dirtyhand » Logged
GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 02:52:44 AM »

Did my own spin on the cloaked guy.  Not as a demonstration or anything, but just because I wanted to.

Right now your lighting doesn't really add anything to the sprites and your palette is a bit dull and lacks contrast.  Try experimenting with how lighting can be used to show your character and give them added depth or life.

I'm not really an expert on this sort of thing so take anything I say with a grain of salt.

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
BLAMBO
Level 10

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 03:39:57 AM »

The highlighting feels weird because it seems like the light is behind the guy and seeping over the edge.

...I think I made it worse, but I put the light source in the front left.

ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 03:43:33 AM »

i know this isn't coloring advice, but when you're going 16x16 i'd recommend not trying to keep realistic proportions. something like is more recognizable as a knight at that resolution (that's 16x16 too)

Schoq
Level 10

Imperial stronghold, midwinter

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 06:41:06 AM »

Don't keep the same material one hue when shading it, it looks dull and unnatural. the light source pretty much never has the same colour as the ambient light. For example, in daylight the shadow is mostly lit by the blue sky while the directly lit side is lit mostly by direct sunlight (rule of thumb: cold shadows, warm highlights)

And metallic surfaces aren't a flat grey, they reflect everything around them, so get some different hues on the knight guy as well, you can generally go pretty crazy actually

oh and this can never be linked too much http://androidarts.com/art_tut.htm

make games, not money
dirtyhand
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 07:20:14 AM »

The highlighting feels weird because it seems like the light is behind the guy and seeping over the edge.

...I think I made it worse, but I put the light source in the front left.

Yeah, I wasn't too happy with the light, but couldn't pinpoint why. I like the layered cloak look!
dirtyhand
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 07:23:41 AM »

Don't keep the same material one hue when shading it, it looks dull and unnatural. the light source pretty much never has the same colour as the ambient light. For example, in daylight the shadow is mostly lit by the blue sky while the directly lit side is lit mostly by direct sunlight (rule of thumb: cold shadows, warm highlights)

And metallic surfaces aren't a flat grey, they reflect everything around them, so get some different hues on the knight guy as well, you can generally go pretty crazy actually

oh and this can never be linked too much http://androidarts.com/art_tut.htm

Thank you! I didn't undertand how hue worked, so I just adjusted the brightness when shading. I'll work on using hues now.

And thank you for that link. I'm going to devour it today.
dirtyhand
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 07:26:29 AM »

Made this after watching Iron Man 3 Smiley

Asepl
Level 0

Muff muff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 12:44:07 PM »

I like it  Grin However I think the face would use some colour variation  My Word!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic