Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:23:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace BookPlanets Form'd [FINISHED] [Updated] [EASY MODE]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Planets Form'd [FINISHED] [Updated] [EASY MODE]  (Read 23084 times)
AdamButcher
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: October 19, 2008, 04:50:49 AM »

UPDATE 06/03/21

13 years later, I remastered this to work smooth on Windows 10. Still quite proud of it!

Download here:
https://adambutcher.itch.io/planets-formd

UPDATE 24/11/08

So I finished my first ever TIGS compo entry.

"Planets Form'd" is an abstract top-down horror explore-em-up, with a (hopefully) gripping and original storyline.

Latest Version: http://www.adam-butcher.co.uk/works/interactive/planets-formd
Windows OS only I'm afraid.

I was kind of experimenting with making a game/short story/short film all rolled in to one, and I'm pretty happy with the result. Let me know what you think! Hope you finish it!

PS. Sorry it's such a big filesize- it's a lot easier for me if MMF plays wavs rather than mp3s.

FIXES: 30/11/08
-Made the end portals more obvious
-Fixed some faults with the installer
-Made the controls better: same acceleration but you come to a stop instantly

19/10/08
--------
Hey all,

I was unhealthily inspired by the competeition theme and thought I'd make my first TIGS compo entry. Unfortunately, I didn't check to see whether my chosen Commonplace Fragment had been grabbed by someone else, so, like chutup, I am working with:

201. Planets form'd of invisible matter

Sorry about the doubling up, but I'd already made considerable progress with the engine so it would be foolish to stop now.

My game will be a kind of abstract top-down horror explore-em-up. It's going to be my first simple arty game, very short but with a (hopefully) engaging narrative.

I like to keep things secret. Will let you know when it's done.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 07:43:20 AM by AdamButcher » Logged

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 11:36:15 PM »

Cool! There shouldn't be a problem about doubling up since yours is top down and mine is sidescrolling.

AdamButcher
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 02:02:09 PM »

Is it finished? It is!

brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 02:41:05 PM »

I really like the concept and the feel of it.

But I couldn't make it past the first screen.  The controls are a bit too fiddly for me, I died several times when I thought I'd decelerated to a stop but actually I was still moving slowly.  My main problem though, is that there's no clear sense of goal or direction.  This might be something you wouldn't have picked up, because as the designer you will always know where the goal of the levels were.  I felt like I'd explored everywhere there was to go in the first level (although I couldn't be completely sure because my map kept getting reset) and there was no obvious direction to be headed in.  If the map didn't get reset this probably wouldn't be a problem, because I'd be able to see anywhere I hadn't explored and check there.  As it was, I didn't know where to go so I gave up.
I hope there's something you can do about this because I'd like to play it some more.

Also, the installer tried putting it in C:\"Planets Form'd" which is invalid for one reason or another - not sure if it's the ' or the "s.
AdamButcher
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 03:07:37 PM »

Ah yes I can see how the goal thing would be a problem- although my two play-testers seemed to find them ok.

Try looking for something that makes your yellow dust behave strangely, it's in the big area after the first tunnel. I could make the effect more obvious, but that'd remove the subtelty. When you find it, let me know what you think.

As for controls...I guess I didn't mind em! Could make it so it's on/off speed wise?

Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 03:33:19 PM »

can't find file 'kcfile.cox'

AdamButcher
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 03:41:40 PM »

Never seen that error before on an MMF game...

Here, try this attached file. http://willhostforfood.com/?Action=download&fileid=42341

Put it in the same directory as the game? Or system?

(Clearly I'll have to update the installer soon)

brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 04:10:53 PM »

Okay, I finished the game.  I think that effect could do with being just a little bit less subtle, so you're more likely to notice it when you don't know what you're supposed to be looking for.

Second to last level got a bit frustrating too.  Getting sent back to the start is grr.

Still, overall it's pretty cool, I liked it.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 12:20:13 AM »

Dammit. Too frustrating. The controls, the barely visible specks of dust (I didn't even realize it was spitting them at first, because I couldn't see them), the wiping out of the dust every so often. I'm squinting at all times.

Oh well, I got all that off my chest. Sorry. I love its aesthetics, you did an awesome job. I was able to beat the first level (only thanks to the clue you provided here), and when I realized what the 'level' was about, it was a great 'oh!' moment. It looks like this is great stuff, just... too punishing.

AdamButcher
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 12:02:34 PM »

Well, it sounds like you need to turn up the colour contrast or something on your screen- the dust should be pretty visible.

As for controls- I'm considering changing it...

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 06:34:38 PM »

My screen is pretty decently calibrated, since I work with graphics. :( But now that I think about it, it could be LCD ghosting, rather than contrast, what's causing the problem.

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 08:56:11 PM »

It's nice to see you and Chutup handling the similarity of your entries in such an amicable fashion. I think the partial overlap is good, if anything. It's been  interesting to see two people's approaches to a similar idea. Cheers!

About the controls: I thought the movement speed and player size were a good fit for the tight, winding passages. I like the general idea of having a somewhat drifty, potentially dangerous movement system in a game where the walls can kill you. I also think being able to move backward while firing worked well. I'm not sold on the particular system you chose, though. It seemed a bit arbitrary.
AdamButcher
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2008, 06:14:29 AM »

Hey guys,

Tried to fix some of the problems you mentioned, thanks for the feedback. Just a little after the deadline...

See details above

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2008, 07:53:29 AM »

Oh man, this is fantastic. Grin

My favorite of the compo so far. It's so atmospheric, especially in its simplicity.

I'm not sure if there is an alternate ending. I'll try it now.

Getting my vote for sure. Beer!

Edit: Yeah, I don't think there is an alternate ending. Maybe.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 08:46:52 AM by Melly » Logged

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
scytos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2008, 03:18:21 PM »

Amazing. Smiley

I agree with Melly, you managed to make a simple game with almost no graphics but with a very nice atmosphere, using only sounds and shapes you have to discover. The story is very Lovecraftian, I liked it. I had predicted the ending the level before, but not in the way you implemented it, which I thought was quite clever. I did spend a good time searching for the exit in the first level though, it's not very obvious, especially because the cave is big (in the other levels it's just at the end of the maze). Also, this game is quite hard, but I think "hard" fits with this game, so that's ok.

Excellent work. Beer!
Mir@k
Level 1

Pffffffft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2008, 03:39:39 PM »

I cannot find the exit of the first level, the sounds creep me out a lot.
This is one of my favorites of the whole compo, very entertaining, very interesting.  Gentleman

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2008, 01:19:23 PM »

Someone's been using resources from the Free Sound Project. I was planning on using some of the same sounds if I actually finished my entry.

I have to say, of all the 'planets form'd' entries in this contest, I think this one had the best implementation. It's a little punishing, though. Restarting an entire level after brushing against a moving hazard got old pretty quickly.

Bob le Moche
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2008, 02:00:23 PM »

Yeah, all the sounds in "Lost in Eldritch" are from the free sound project. Very useful!
AdamButcher
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2008, 02:37:29 PM »

Sorry that guys can't find the exit- I even made it a lot more obvious, and am reluctant to do more. Following sounds might help!

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2008, 03:47:17 AM »

The exits were obvious enough for me. I spotted them the first time I sprinkled sand on them and it started acting oddly. There also seems to be a soft audio cue, though it's been a short while since I played it.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic