Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411412 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 15, 2024, 11:20:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessSearching for brilliant people to help me build game dev studio from scratch
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Searching for brilliant people to help me build game dev studio from scratch  (Read 2766 times)
Mister Dave
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2013, 05:15:10 PM »

Examples?

My team - started from scratch literally - stayed together for 9 years and counting - completed and published a game and continue to work together on fixes and updates - will make more games going forward - etc.

The early years were as much about learning how to make games as they were about the actual work.

Most of them crash precisely because it's a bunch of greens trying to work together on something big, when they really need to start smaller .. like Ludum Dare game small.

There are a lot of reasons why it fails, that being only one. We have left a few people on the side of the road along the way for different reasons, but the core team remains.

I wouldn't doubt it has succeeded at least once, but who knows if the finished result was any good?

"Good" is a subjective term. There have been good and bad reviews. The important thing is that we like the game just as much as our fans do. We managed a few rabid fans even, which was a bit surprising. It's not as important to make a top quality game as it is to simply complete a decent one. Completion is the hardest part. To finish it is to kill it, as Picasso said.....
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 05:24:06 PM by Mister Dave » Logged
mychii
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2013, 03:16:45 AM »

Just saying, if you could post something you've done even if they are unfinished prototypes or game designs just so many of us could know you better in the field, you might get a better response, and of course; the team you're looking for. It's never too late to modify the post and show more effort by listening the feedback here.

I truly appreciate the passion you have insyzygy, I hope you'll get what you need. Coffee
insyzygy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2013, 02:55:39 PM »

To everyone who has replied: Thank you for your feedback, truly. I have read every post and taken the words to heart, even (especially?) the negative ones. I think some people got the impression that I want to do something "big" or a "masterpiece" or something. This is not the case. I definitely have plans for huge projects, but I at least have the foresight to know that attempting to build a team from scratch to develop a huge 3D open world MMO is a fool's errand (not that I have any interest in developing MMOs, but you get the idea).

Anyway, to anyone wondering, I actually did get a 3-man artist/sound guy/coder(me) team together, and we just started working on a (small) mobile roguelike action-RPG. I know the indie scene is full of those right now, but we're just trying to get our feet wet. We're using the MOAI framework and making good progress!
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2013, 03:04:52 PM »

Good luck, gotta start somewhere.
Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2013, 10:38:10 PM »

I can only ask that you come back to this post several months from now with an update on how things went. But I have a sinking feeling that you won't be posting good news by then.

I would love to be proven wrong.

louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2013, 12:08:06 AM »

Harsh crowd  Droop

You're always gonna get a tough crowd if you post asking for people to work for you when you show no experience and try to talk big.

Nevertheless good luck @OP. It's good to just get started with something, alone or in a group. Though hopefully you take this as some experience that no one cares unless you have something to show for yourself (that's blunt and probably not entirely true but it's a good outlook to take if you want to make something of yourself).
Mister Dave
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2013, 05:21:14 PM »

Anyway, to anyone wondering, I actually did get a 3-man artist/sound guy/coder(me) team together...........

Not enough hats (only 3?). Some of you will need to wear more. You'll find this out in time. Who is the team leader? You know what a leader does (not trying to be condescending here)? A leader does everything no one else wants to do, or it doesn't get done.
louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2013, 12:36:07 AM »

A leader does everything no one else wants to do, or it doesn't get done.

Had experience on this recently and didn't know if it was just a bad leader... so I guess I can vouch for that.
Mister Dave
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2013, 05:33:53 AM »

A leader does everything no one else wants to do, or it doesn't get done.

Had experience on this recently and didn't know if it was just a bad leader... so I guess I can vouch for that.

Could just be inexperience as a leader. These type of lessons come in time. Though, born leaders don't wait around to find out who's not interested in what - they get on it themselves and see who comes along with them.
louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2013, 06:24:32 AM »

Could just be inexperience as a leader.

Most likely.
SterlingDee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2013, 03:07:07 PM »

Harsh crowd  Droop

You're always gonna get a tough crowd if you post asking for people to work for you when you show no experience and try to talk big.

Nevertheless good luck @OP. It's good to just get started with something, alone or in a group. Though hopefully you take this as some experience that no one cares unless you have something to show for yourself (that's blunt and probably not entirely true but it's a good outlook to take if you want to make something of yourself).

Don't get me wrong, I like a harsh crowd ha - I used to post really critical comments in the Unity3D collaboration forum until they closed all threads to replies in that sub forum because people were asking too many questions and being too critical. Glad to see I can be critical on Tigsource hehe

Motion Logic Studios
2D & 3D Art - AAA Experience, Indie-Friendly Prices
Feel free to email me or connect with me on twitter!
louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2013, 02:41:58 AM »

Don't get me wrong, I like a harsh crowd ha - I used to post really critical comments in the Unity3D collaboration forum until they closed all threads to replies in that sub forum because people were asking too many questions and being too critical. Glad to see I can be critical on Tigsource hehe

Yeah it can be good in some senses, people dont fall into working on projects like this beacuse they look at the 'hate' in the comments and just go well obviously these people know if this is good or not.
Although sometimes it can put people off stuff :C i prefer constructive criticism (say on something i'm new to and have just asked a stupid question or asked for help) not 'go back to school' and all that.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic