Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411197 Posts in 69315 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 05:59:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBROFORCE (Online/Local Bro-op Platformer-Shooter with Explosions and Action)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: BROFORCE (Online/Local Bro-op Platformer-Shooter with Explosions and Action)  (Read 62362 times)
Evan.Greenwood
Level 0

Indie Love

View Profile WWW
« on: May 08, 2013, 10:38:15 AM »

Hi Guys!

We've been working on BROFORCE since October 2012 (more or less) (technically it started in April 2012 during the Ludum Dare). It's kind of like Spelunky with 80s and 90s action heroes wielding hair trigger rigged machine guns. It's got a lot of inspiration from the work of Vlambeer, and also Contra and Metal Slug (obviously ^_^ ).

Video

Online Playable (alpha)!!!

http://www.freelives.net/BROFORCE/OnlineAlpha/OnlineAlpha.html

If you like it please consider:
Voting for it on Greenlight

We're trying to get some feedback. Particularly on the online multiplayer aspects. We're based in South Africa and it is very hard for us to test how the game runs over the internet.

The playable version that is up gives a fair indication of what the core gameplay will be like, although we plan to wrap that up in some juicy narrative with upgrades and unlocks and other environments and such. We also plan to include our level editing tools in the final game, as well as some additional 4 player competitive modes.

Also: SPACE ALIENS! (coming soon)

Also: Can be played locally with up to four players (if you have at least 2 XBox-like controllers and a keybboard, or 4 controllers).
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 03:31:30 PM by Evan.Greenwood » Logged
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 10:54:45 AM »

Looks polished.
Nice presentation.

CK
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 11:11:57 AM »

Super interested in this.  Voted yes.
Good luck, I really want to see this on Steam Grin

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 01:01:58 PM »

omg farmergnome is dat u
Tiago_BinaryPig
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 01:09:18 PM »

That's exactly what i thought ahaha.
Farmgnome' style all the way.

Look great btw  Gentleman

ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 02:20:38 PM »

wow, that first screenshot, so much going on, awesome.

Evan.Greenwood
Level 0

Indie Love

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 03:07:25 PM »

@Quarry and @KopanoGS Lol, Yeah We've heard that a lot. We actually started this just after FarmerGnome started Rambros, completely unaware of FarmerGnome's project. We even accidentally called the original prototype "Rambros". Obviously we then changed the name.

Rambros seemed really awesome.

@ananasblau It doesn't always have that much going on... only after you start shooting Tongue

Thanks for the kind words!!!
One Happy Giant
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 03:18:18 PM »

Really well polished for being an alpha build.

You should try to schedule an online meetup so you can test your multiplayer functionality. I hopped on for a bit but no one was on. Still really fun to play, though!

Evan.Greenwood
Level 0

Indie Love

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 03:26:45 PM »

@onehappygiant That's a really sweet idea! Thanks! I'll see what I can figure out... (We're in South African time so the 8-10 hour time difference can make things tricky...)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 03:37:32 PM by Evan.Greenwood » Logged
egoitzOsa
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 10:15:59 PM »

It´s nice to see you around here too.
I´ve been following your game since months ago. I discovered it on Steam Greenlight, and started to follow it instantly.
I´ve tested all the alphas you have published, and gotta say the improvements you are making to them are really awesome (player´s portrait details, new explosion and animations, upward going explosives, new characters, new special bombs and attacks, ...). The last one is the best of all so far (and the web version is also delicious).
Keep it up! It´s the best game I´ve played for years so far, I´m really interested on this project (more than in any other one, commercial ones included).

mindbrk;
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 02:27:21 AM »

I remember playing an older build with my friend a few months ago and we really liked it. We played through it like 20 times  Crazy 

Keep up the good work, guys!  Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right
Merrik
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 04:41:16 AM »

Quote from: egoitzOsa
I´ve been following your game since months ago. I discovered it on Steam Greenlight, and started to follow it instantly
Thanks dude!

Quote from: clueless
We played through it like 20 times
That's so awesome!

Hey, I'm working on the networking for Broforce. I'd really appreciate posts about any bugs or weirdness you come across while playing online. Thanks!
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 05:11:17 AM »

This game is clearly more about the spectacle of shit exploding everywhere than any sort of gameplay .. still, the ridiculous amount of shit exploding is amusing for a short time ..

Once you get to the later levels, it feels like your best strategy is to just blow some shit up and then run away lest you get caught up in the madness, as it's impossible to see what's going on or survive in it.
Evan.Greenwood
Level 0

Indie Love

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 07:20:41 AM »

@Udderdude Thanks for the feedback! Do you have any suggestions about how to improve this?

One of the things a couple of other players have found fault with is that the game doesn't play out like a run and gun Contra style game. Dodging bullets and timing jumps and learning enemy attack patterns aren't skills we've emphasized in the design of Broforce. I'm not sure, but I'm guessing this is something you feel is lacking? Or something else?

We'd like to get the best of both worlds in Broforce. Have you tried speedrunning the game for instance? It becomes a lot more frantic and twitchy. Maybe the goals we're setting for players (i.e. Just get to the end alive) don't bring out the right sort of gameplay?

If you think we could do something to make the experience more satisfying we'd love to hear your thoughts (or the thoughts of anyone else who is experiencing similar dissatisfaction).
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 07:29:26 AM »

I haven't tried speedrunning it, but I feel it would be rather haphazard due to the large amount of things that can explode near you, setting off a chain reaction that is hard to predict or get away from.

If you want to encourage speedrunning you might want to put a timer and a par time, and also ranks based on your clear time.
Evan.Greenwood
Level 0

Indie Love

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 08:06:44 AM »

@Udderdude Yeah. I think it really should show your time and a kind of par time (or community average or something).

It's a little old, but we have tried some mechanics that force the players to move. Like the bottom of the screen constantly exploding.

It made the level more like an action puzzle, trying to find the optimal way to climb to the top (and beat other players to get there).

Maybe our explosions need more clear indications of what they damage? They are deterministic of course, but the poor feedback might make them feel more haphazard than they actually are.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 08:19:55 AM »

Maybe our explosions need more clear indications of what they damage? They are deterministic of course, but the poor feedback might make them feel more haphazard than they actually are.

You might just want to add a "Low detail/effect" mode where only the damaging part of the explosion is shown and animated.  No giant particle effect fireballs everywhere.  Reduced debris as well.  And explosions that can harm the player or cause other things to explode should all look similar, while effects that can't should look similar.

I know this removes a big part of the "Wow look at the crazy explosions and blood and crap flying everywhere" effect, but it's important for players that want to see what's going on rather than watch the spectacle.  Plus it will help you focus on gameplay now that players can see what's going on.

I would also suggest adding a display for the current character's weapon and special, as it's hard to tell what a certian weapon or grenade is going to do just from looking at it.

One more thing about that previous suggestion, I think there should be an indicator that says if you can accidentally blow yourself up with it.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 03:27:57 AM by Udderdude » Logged
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 11:02:13 AM »

Great to see this show up on here! I've been following the development keenly. Smiley

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
bevis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 02:57:22 AM »

Thanks for all the kind words and critiques Smiley

Heres a tank we are working on.

Evan.Greenwood
Level 0

Indie Love

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 11:40:52 AM »

You might just want to add a "Low detail/effect" mode where only the damaging part of the explosion is shown and animated.  No giant particle effect fireballs everywhere.  Reduced debris as well.  And explosions that can harm the player or cause other things to explode should all look similar, while effects that can't should look similar.

That'd be a fairly affordable (development-wise) solution. I think that some of the effects at the moment are scaled up to 11, and could be taken down a notch, so that when we have more powerful/devastating features they have room for visual effect (i.e. reserving the spectacle for the more special attacks/abilities).

Of course, everything causes everything else to explode in Broforce, it's just that friendly fire is off by default. Maybe there is some way we can differential friendly fire from everything else.

I would also suggest adding a display for the current character's weapon and special, as it's hard to tell what a certian weapon or grenade is going to do just from looking at it.

This is something we keep on meaning to do Shocked  ...The GUI in general needs an overhaul, but it always feels like there's something more important/fun to work on. Meanwhile our players are left a little confused (so I guess I should get on that).

One more thing about that previous suggestion, I think there should be an indicator that says if you can accidentally blow yourself up with it.

That's a pretty smart suggestion. I'm not quite certain how we can achieve that in all circumstances... though it makes me think that it'd be pretty funny if the avatar started sweating profusely whenever the player has their gun pointed at a nearby stack of explosive barrels.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 01:12:38 PM by Evan.Greenwood » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic