Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:26:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopTrying To Become A Better Artist
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Trying To Become A Better Artist  (Read 9614 times)
Conker534
« on: May 08, 2013, 04:20:25 PM »

HERE GOES MY JOURNEY!

« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 07:15:47 PM by Conker » Logged
Blambo
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 04:43:52 PM »

It's interesting to see that most people who are into anime styled stuff approach it very differently from the way it's mastered. The reason why the style is so effective is because of the slight exaggeration of familiar yet trivial body features; however, it requires that the artist understands the actual mechanics of the human body in 3d space to convey a character in this style effectively.

Of course, the style has deviated far enough for many of these principles to not apply and still look pretty cool; I dunno what magnitude of anime you were going for, but I'm going to treat it like a conventional styled figure.

Principles of human anatomy still apply. This drawing seems very 2d in its sort of uniform abstract forms; the whole torso is one large stick, the legs are similarly abnormally thin and uniform (the thighs should be thicker at the top). The torso is also only one head length long, whereas it should be about two. The hips are way too far up (perhaps to compensate for the torso) which make the legs weirdly long compared to the torso. The lower leg is also supposed to be shorter than the upper.

Sorry if I'm being to harsh on your piece. I get that it's got a certain amount of stylized elements to it (and I don't even know what your intentions are), but in order for it to be pleasing in the way that a human body pleases the eye, it has to look like one in its principle structure.

I suggest doing some observation and understanding some concepts of the basic human figure. And draw a lot of people; like, a lot of people. Practice drawing them to make basic shapes familiar and intuitive, so that structural principles still apply even when you're going for style.

Anyway, I'm really interested in seeing you improve!
Conker534
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 04:54:24 PM »

Don't be sorry about being harsh, harsh is the best way, I don't like when I show friends they all just say "nice". Its a nice compliment but I know there are billions of flaws and I'm trying to get better, and not get complimented.

I really enjoy your feedback, and I totally agree that my anatomy is just terrible, and its something I need to fix. I'll read up on that link you sent me and more, and will put it into practice. I really appreciate it!
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 06:03:39 PM »

the main anatomy problem i noticed is the hips; hips don't work like that, the widest part should be a lot higher than you have it

if you are specifically interested in learning to draw manga-style, i'd recommend this series of books: http://www.amazon.com/How-to-draw-Manga-books/lm/1OMTJ5A4G7FCQ (there's more than the ones listed there, that seems to be just a selection)

Conker534
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 06:41:49 PM »

if you are specifically interested in learning to draw manga-style, i'd recommend this series of books: http://www.amazon.com/How-to-draw-Manga-books/lm/1OMTJ5A4G7FCQ (there's more than the ones listed there, that seems to be just a selection)

xD
ink.inc
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 06:56:34 PM »

holy shit i remember those

they had those on sale all the time at my elementary school book fairs
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 07:15:43 PM »

it looks animay enough
just make the trunk area less detailed and more stylized and make the eyes closer and less eyebrows

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 10:02:52 PM »

make her face a duck, donald is the new moe
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 11:06:17 PM »

It's funny that people think manga have have deviate too far from actual anatomy, that's untrue, if something manga tend to have more mundane proportion "except for the eyes", but even basic facial fold are respected, it's noticeable when they had shadow and have the insane twisted gaze.

Shojo are those who have fashion like elongated looks. Conker is basically doing a mix between shojo and moe.

Also I would discourage from using "how to draw manga", they are more style guide than effective drawing guide. Like any How to books actually, that mean you should know how to draw decently to get them or else it's "draw the fucking owl" all over again.

Also nice try hiding the hand Tongue

We need to see where are your real weakness first, can you "see"? You should post some observational drawing first. We can't "fix" the character, it's a drawing skill problem. Right now it's a construction skill problem couple with a lack of methodology/understanding, line work are "fine enough".
Dimension, proportion, observation.

GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 02:13:25 AM »

I think a common problem with starting manga artists is that they don't see the human body as a 3d shape, and that's a baaaaad road to go down.

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
rundown
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 02:44:39 AM »

I think her eyes are a bit to far from the center of her face.
You also should draw her shoulders muscles behind the neck. Looks like you could crack it any moment.

Blambo
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 03:25:14 AM »

It's funny that people think manga have have deviate too far from actual anatomy, that's untrue, if something manga tend to have more mundane proportion "except for the eyes", but even basic facial fold are respected, it's noticeable when they had shadow and have the insane twisted gaze.

Shojo are those who have fashion like elongated looks. Conker is basically doing a mix between shojo and moe.

Also I would discourage from using "how to draw manga", they are more style guide than effective drawing guide. Like any How to books actually, that mean you should know how to draw decently to get them or else it's "draw the fucking owl" all over again.

Also nice try hiding the hand Tongue

We need to see where are your real weakness first, can you "see"? You should post some observational drawing first. We can't "fix" the character, it's a drawing skill problem. Right now it's a construction skill problem couple with a lack of methodology/understanding, line work are "fine enough".
Dimension, proportion, observation.

Dis.
Conker534
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 12:24:53 PM »

I stopped drawing manga style for the time being and I'm practicing my anatomy, form, etc.

Really I'm trying to learn how to draw the human body proportionally in 3D space. I'm progressing but it will be a long road. I've been reading a lot and putting that into practice, and been drawing traditionally. Also will be majoring in art in college, which I think is going to help me A TON!

I will come back to manga style (I think), but I think (after hearing many opinions on "how to draw" that the best approach for someone is to learn realism and then stylize later, because manga is just the realistic human with exaggerated features (I think).

I really really appreciate everyone's feedback, I've read all of it and it really influenced my decisions I'm going to be taking.
Blambo
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 12:34:22 PM »

Awesome! Log your progress here; I'd love to see it.
Bandages
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 12:38:36 PM »

It sounds like you have learned something valuable about making art

Now it's just a matter of practice. I admire your ability to learn from others and grow  Hand Thumbs Up Left Tiger
Conker534
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 01:05:26 PM »

Awesome! Log your progress here; I'd love to see it.
Will do! It'll be a great place to post my work.

It sounds like you have learned something valuable about making art

Now it's just a matter of practice. I admire your ability to learn from others and grow  Hand Thumbs Up Left Tiger
Thanks!
Conker534
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 02:53:47 PM »

So I took a shot at drawing a man and well thats what I did.

Hit me with your best shot.

edit:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 04:47:20 PM by Conker » Logged
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 06:27:32 AM »

This book might be a good fit for you, check out some scans and see what you think. If what you love is anime, don't put yourself to sleep drawing realistic figures, draw figures that capture what's great about realism (an understanding of anatomy and form and motion and blah blah blah) but still interest you.

If you want to draw good anime, you need to learn to draw good, dynamic figures in 3d space -- anime art is simplified, but it's very skillfully simplified to retain a lot of mass and motion.

Who are your favorite artists? I, personally, am of the mind that it's not really bad to imitate others at your current skill level, and it might help you set better targets.

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 07:42:34 AM »

holy shit i remember those

they had those on sale all the time at my elementary school book fairs
I have 3 of them in my possession, never read them though

@Conker: look at a reference when you draw those, check of how many parts the upper part of the arm consists, you have too many there, it's good that you drew a blocked sketch first before going into detail, that's a good habit

It's obviously far from being great but it has a lot of promises that you won't have many problems with certain things like the feet are really far above the other parts, and those are a pretty big problem for beginners, same with hands, you didn't go with drawing a representation of a hand from your imagination, instead you tried to draw it like it really looks, that's a really good sign
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 07:52:01 AM by ANtY » Logged

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 05:58:10 PM »

Look at how he makes overall guideline and progressively refine overtime, it's not great but it show you the process, a line for generate direction, vague outline to structure poses and refinement of parts

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic