Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 07:59:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopTrying To Become A Better Artist
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Trying To Become A Better Artist  (Read 9638 times)
Conker534
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2013, 06:30:41 PM »

This book might be a good fit for you, check out some scans and see what you think. If what you love is anime, don't put yourself to sleep drawing realistic figures, draw figures that capture what's great about realism (an understanding of anatomy and form and motion and blah blah blah) but still interest you.

If you want to draw good anime, you need to learn to draw good, dynamic figures in 3d space -- anime art is simplified, but it's very skillfully simplified to retain a lot of mass and motion.

Who are your favorite artists? I, personally, am of the mind that it's not really bad to imitate others at your current skill level, and it might help you set better targets.

I really like ryoheihuke, a lot. I'd consider him my favorite artist. Also Rakugaki-otoko's work makes me smile a lot, I love his style. xD

holy shit i remember those

they had those on sale all the time at my elementary school book fairs
I have 3 of them in my possession, never read them though

@Conker: look at a reference when you draw those, check of how many parts the upper part of the arm consists, you have too many there, it's good that you drew a blocked sketch first before going into detail, that's a good habit

It's obviously far from being great but it has a lot of promises that you won't have many problems with certain things like the feet are really far above the other parts, and those are a pretty big problem for beginners, same with hands, you didn't go with drawing a representation of a hand from your imagination, instead you tried to draw it like it really looks, that's a really good sign

Thanks I appreciate the feedback. I really do. I'll look at reference more Smiley

Look at how he makes overall guideline and progressively refine overtime, it's not great but it show you the process, a line for generate direction, vague outline to structure poses and refinement of parts

Thanks for this! I had no idea Sycra had a video like this. I will watch this. Smiley

Also I drew some sketch of an anime girl at school today. I know I said I'd move away from anime style until I practiced realism more, but I feel to embarrassed about my "realism" work to draw it in person.

Here it is:

What is your opinion on me moving away from anime to realism to learn how to draw, do you think its unnecessary?
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2013, 10:39:04 PM »

The things is you can keep informal free drawing on the side of a more serious formal training. The things is that the formal things should be developed as a routine, the free stuff whenever you relax.

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2013, 03:16:42 AM »

What is your opinion on me moving away from anime to realism to learn how to draw, do you think its unnecessary?
You can just keep drawing only anime, but then even if you 'master' it up to some nice level you'll be still limited to only drawing anime girls in this particular boring standing pose in front of the camera, all your images will be looking really similar to each other, not like it's a bad thing or sth. It's just that if you want to have some wider knowledge you should try to learn realism.

btw the legs are ten times better than in your last anime drawing Wink (but they start a little too low, and try to fix the foreshortening)

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2013, 07:22:40 AM »

anime style <> manga style
just saiyan

all the drawings in this thread seem to be for manga
and even within manga there aer  many different styles

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Conker534
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2013, 07:23:54 AM »

Thanks everyone, I'll practice in realism. I don't want to be just good at one style.
ink.inc
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2013, 08:18:39 AM »

anime isn't a style

Ghost in the Shell

End of Evangelion

Nichijou

Animatrix: Kid's Story

Dragon Ball Z

Animatrix: Detective Story

K-On

Animatrix: Program

Astro Boy

Redline

The Tatami Galaxy

Kill Bill

if you havent seen kid's story, i highly recommend it:

that's not the full video, just the chase sequence, but it's really amazing anyway
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 09:02:21 AM by John Sandoval » Logged
ink.inc
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2013, 08:42:01 AM »

Same thing for manga. The aesthetics in Gantz are so different from those in say, Solanin or Oyasumi Punpun, which are in turn worlds apart from something like Yotsuba.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2013, 09:02:12 AM »

There is common thread among the style to serve as a guide and a formula. That's true for "american super hero" style too. But you can still tell most of the time when it's american and when it's anime. The exception don't disprove the "rules" : P

And moi is right, "anime" tend to have different color, details works and line art than "manga".

Conker534
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2013, 02:15:52 PM »

I've been trying other poses other than the front facing you pose I've done, and to be honest trying to process the human body as something 3D is really hard. Its hard to draw something isometric or etc.

ZZZZZZ.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 06:27:56 PM by Conker » Logged
Conker534
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2013, 02:42:26 PM »

« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 07:02:38 PM by Conker » Logged
Conker534
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2013, 07:06:02 PM »

« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 07:15:33 PM by Conker » Logged
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2013, 10:01:50 PM »

Hand joint is disjointed, but that's so much better than in previous episode, keep up the good jobs

Bandages
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2013, 11:55:42 AM »

really nifty guide that should help you with foreshortening:

ink.inc
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2013, 12:00:10 PM »

Conker534
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2013, 09:16:15 PM »

Thanks everyone I appreciate it.
Dualmask
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2013, 05:16:53 PM »

http://bookos.org/book/1084223/527ef1 Start here, and then develop style.
Blambo
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2013, 03:36:26 AM »

Imagine arms and legs as cylinders, and torsos as nested cylinders (like pistons). If you can draw foreshortened 3d solids, you can draw foreshortened human limbs.
Conker534
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2013, 04:54:32 PM »

Man last week I didn't feel inspired at all to draw, its been a while since I drew anything.
To be honest I didn't pay attention to anything when I was drawing this, so her anatomy isn't good or anything.. I just did it to get back into the groove.
Conker534
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2013, 12:30:28 AM »

I think i'm trying to teach myself to much.

Should I be trying to practice anatomy, perspective, shading, color theory, and free draw all at the same time?

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2013, 04:40:48 PM »

If you can, go ahead. Perspective is crucial to render anatomy tho, you couldtry to work on simple components in different prespectives. Like say, try to excercise dawing an aanatomically accurate torso in different perespectives. Shading and color theory can wait a bit.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic