Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:28:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallTrap Them
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Trap Them  (Read 6146 times)
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« on: May 09, 2013, 06:07:39 AM »

Trap Them is an inventive and refreshing action puzzler!
Trap Them revolves around demanding puzzle gameplay about outsmarting and trapping the enemies while avoiding being trapped yourself. This game introduces innovative block physics and all main mechanics early on instead of accumulating new systems you have to learn. So the challenge is to get better in what you are already using.

Features:

- innovative block physics
- smooth 60fps and clockwork perfect game mechanics
- wide variety of challenges (puzzle, action, mixed)
- multiple solutions rewarding player's creativity
- extremely challenging puzzles in the later stages of the game
- 100+ caves to explore
- ideal XBOX (Xinput) gamepad support

If you already own the Desura version, the save files from Desura's version will automatically work for the Steam version and vice versa.

Here is a short interview on Budget Gaming Review with some good questions. It reflects the mindset behind the game well:
http://www.budgetgamingreview.com/2015/07/interview-juri-schupilo.html

Steam Store:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930/?snr=1_7_7_comingsoon_150_7

Desura Store:
http://www.desura.com/games/trapthem

Feel free to check out the original soundtrack by Zoe Coleman here:
https://zoecoleman.bandcamp.com/album/trapthem-ost

« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 06:43:17 AM by J-Snake » Logged

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 02:45:44 AM »

Here is a review from an ambitious puzzle-enthusiast who has spent a fair amount on TrapThem:

"
This is a fantastically inventive puzzle game.
There really hasn't been made anything like it before.

The basic idea seems like an inversion of "Boulder Dash", which means the dig-able soil is not static but instead affected by gravity. As you play you will realize the immense possibilities of these mechanics. You will need to build complex structures to your aid, and demolish them in turn to murderous effect(because although the name is TrapThem, you mainly just SquishEm). One could say it puts "Red Faction's" "GeoMod" to shame, if the meagre graphics are ignored.

The stages are devided into 3 types: purely cerebral tasks, reaction tests and amalgamations of both; with the reaction tests at times being unattractive for pure puzzle-lovers.

I have played every stage and can account for the quality of their design. The game demands both creativity and intellect in great amounts(as well as finger-skills, which isn't as remarkable though). Gameplay doesn't go stale at any time, seemingly familiar looking challenges prove to be fresh just by means of a minor twist or added restrictions. Later stages will easily make you invest an hour at least, and a few are likely to make you despair for a while; but they all are solvable, I promise.
It needs to be said that overcoming these positively "impossible" preconditions will fill you with a deep sense of satisfaction; at one point when all the established core-techniques fail to solve the problem you will be led to utilize your environments in such ludicrous ways that you wouldn't deem them feasible in theory, you have to try.
This is something you cannot have with the wishy-washy "Portal" games for instance, which made "TrapThem" the more enjoyable experience for me.

So the game is majorly taxing, which is all a logic-enthusiast could wish for. But even more importantly, the game demonstrates a uniqueness highly uncommon today, it isn't derivative in the least.

"TrapThem" may be the greatest puzzle-sensation since "DROD"."

« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 05:55:14 AM by J-Snake » Logged

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 07:44:09 PM »

nice gameplay. The game is actually sort of addictive. Could use better graphics. Yo.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 11:18:55 PM »

+1 who solves the caves:

"HARD COLLECT" (puzzle segment)

solved yo

Zoe Coleman Music
Level 1

Composer based in Brighton, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 03:09:46 AM »

Incidentally, if anyone's interested you can find the soundtrack hereBeer!

Website | Soundcloud | Twitter |

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 06:52:01 AM »

+1 who solves the caves:

"HARD COLLECT" (puzzle segment)

solved yo
+1

Let me know when you have solved "padlock" and "clean up".

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 12:10:12 PM »

Yeah , graphics need some revamping , otherwise , nice concept
A pushcat (youtube it) style would fit the game a lot !
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 05:06:49 AM »

TrapThem is scheduled to be released on June 6 on Desura. Mark your cosmic calendars.

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 01:15:47 PM »

OST is totally spot-on. Great work, Zoe. You might loop the OST tracks to about 2-3 mins for optimal listening pleasure, even if it's not the files that the game utilizes.

The game itself is delightfully perplexing, and I found myself even taking as many as 10-15 attempts at getting the elements right. It's not just about solving the scenarios, it's also about surgically-precise execution thereof.

The levels and mechanics are outright brilliantly balanced and designed; but I did notice a difficulty wall right when the tutorial part was over, and the main game began; like it went from 3/10 difficulty STRAIGHT to 7/10 difficulty, some section's initial levels even having almost zero margin of error. Perhaps more than one way to solve them, but really no room for player error in any of them. I spent one of my patience points on the "mixed" section's first level, and then proceeded to clear the next 6 levels without half the trouble that the first one gave me (NOTE: in terms of execution, not solving).

If "masocore action-puzzle game" is what you're going for, you've hit it spot on. A funner, more commercially approachable experience might wave more laxed level layouts in between these (like spreading tutorial-like levels throughout them); which creates kind of a risk/reward cycle, a break from the natural intensity. As it stand though? TrapThem is like the Dark Souls of high-tension action-puzzle games.

The graphics/stylization works when you "get" what you're going for with them (a nod to 80s arcade games); but I can see why some people would be thrown off by them.

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 05:35:31 PM »

Thank you very much for taking the time and for the feedback, but be careful with assumptions on required execution. But I understand you would need more time to evaluate it:

Especially in puzzle levels whenever something feels very difficult in execution you can pretty much be sure your solution-idea is inappropriate. You will be surprised how many valid solution ideas do exist the more you dive into the system (some levels have only one solution on purpose). Now in the first levels you can get away with compensating the lack of solution ideas with dexterity. Later on it will be impossible for puzzle levels.

In some late mixed-segment levels you will indeed need both, solution ideas + high dexterity/precise execution skills.

I want to stress TrapThem is hard, especially by todays standards, but it is always clean and fair. I want to offer an interesting game by principle, so I would feel bad and empty for making puzzles easier. I feel it is about the right difficulty for intellectual rewards.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 06:03:40 PM by J-Snake » Logged

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 05:41:07 PM »

you have to stop with the hyperbolic auto-satisfaction though

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 05:55:52 PM »

What refresh-rate does your screen have, guys? I want to go sure on some technicalities. The game is supposed to look silky smooth on your screens, even when you don't have 60 hz monitors.

One thing, not sure good or bad idea, at the end of each segment I have added a later level of the game. So that it is not how it will naturally continue to progress. However it will make you believe so. Still I did it to go sure the more engaged/hardcore players get the impression it will offer challenging stuff later on. The reasoning behind it is that an average player might not play the demo to completion anyway but the hardcore player can go sure it is something for him. Would be cool if some of you get to the last ones in the puzzle- and mixed-segment, "clean up" and "padlock", to tell me how you feel about it.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 06:53:41 PM by J-Snake » Logged

Zoe Coleman Music
Level 1

Composer based in Brighton, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 03:24:57 AM »

OST is totally spot-on. Great work, Zoe. You might loop the OST tracks to about 2-3 mins for optimal listening pleasure, even if it's not the files that the game utilizes.

Thanks very much :D Your feedback's appreciated as well and I will consider extending the length of the tracks a bit :)Let me know if you'r ever in need of some music!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 03:48:40 AM by Zoe Coleman Music » Logged

Website | Soundcloud | Twitter |

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 09:37:06 AM »

Those graphics. Are they supposed to be an hommage to adventures of lolo?

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 09:57:15 AM »

They aren't supposed to be a hommage to anything.

The game has actually a bit of serious tone to it, if you read the story and mission-briefing. It isn't supposed to be a flashy app. The game is not aimed at kids because of the mature puzzle difficulty later on. Robots are not personified. They are what they supposed to be, just robots doing their job.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 10:02:49 AM by J-Snake » Logged

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2013, 08:03:34 AM »

They aren't supposed to be a hommage to anything.

Your protagonist bearing a strong resemblance to "Cool Pac-Man" and your thieves looking like the ghosts from that game kinda suggest otherwise. Even if it's only subconsciously, the impression is there. Wink

I'm slowly but surely tackling situations. It's certainly not a sit-down-and-beat-it-within-an-hour kind of game. I'd say you have the longevity down; and the way you categorize your caves is very brilliant. Tired of brickwalling one type of scenario? Just go tackle a totally different type instead.

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2013, 10:35:34 AM »

Yes, the game will definitely punish you if you try to rush it through. Eventually one will come back to already visited caves and realize they taught you some important concepts/techniques you can apply in more difficult scenarios. It is also beneficial to visit some caves in the action-section even when you are a puzzle-player. There are some nifty techniques you learn early on from them you can eventually carry over.

Just to go sure, you can also get your patience point back when you solve the cave you have spent one on. That will give you even more levels to tackle in parallel.

For some research reasons can you please tell me where you play the game on: I would just like to know is it a desktop pc or is it a notebook/netbook, and the refresh rate of the screen. Thank you.

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2013, 01:34:05 AM »

Processor: Intel Core 2 T5500 @ 1.66Hz
RAM: 3 Gigs
Windows 8

Game runs fine, graphics are coherent, but I dislike to not know why the ground smashes my yellow spot. It seems random, and no tutorial message refers that from what I've seen.

Apparently, the bombs are infinite, yes?

Cool little game and a nice time waster.

Yeah.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2013, 11:16:03 AM »

Acer Aspire One 600
Windows XP (SP3)
Intel Atom CPU
1.6 GHz processor
7.9 MHz
1 GB RAM

Runs smoothly. Is there a hotkey for framerate display? Seems smooth, although on occasion I get a control issue where even lightly tapping leads me to move two squares in a direction, instead of just one.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2013, 11:37:13 AM »

desktop, windows XP, integrated graphic card. runs smoothly

that was fun

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic