Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1073851 Posts in 44017 Topics- by 36022 Members - Latest Member: Homicide_Monkey

December 20, 2014, 10:10:30 PM
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperCreativeArtWorkshopArt style of my new game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Art style of my new game  (Read 928 times)
tatewuzhere
Level 0

View Profile Email
« on: May 09, 2013, 05:17:10 PM »

Hi everyone,

I've been working on my game, Bit Blaster, for some time now and was wondering if I could get some critiquing on it's art style. I've included some screenshots below. I'm happy with most of the graphics such as the battleship and stealth fighter, but some feel out of place like the UI controls. I figured all of you would know better than I after seeing the talent on here and recognizing the fact that I'm not really an artist  Smiley
I'm obviously going for the retro, pixelated look. The game is basically about flying around over the ocean blowing up baddies that constantly pound you with gunfire, and fighting the occasional boss. (It's more in depth than that, that's just the basic premise).
Anyways, thanks for the help, I'm open to any criticism.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 05:22:17 PM by tatewuzhere » Logged
ink.inc
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 05:18:06 PM »

none of those images loaded for me
Blambo
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 05:27:19 PM »

This is Luftrausers.
Conker534
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 05:28:50 PM »

This is Luftrausers.
^
tatewuzhere
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 05:29:30 PM »

It's what? And sorry the images didn't load at first, had some difficulties.
Conker534
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 05:30:54 PM »

tatewuzhere
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 05:35:44 PM »

*Sigh*

That's a shame. Honest to god, I didn't do that on purpose. If you think about it though, they are both retro style dogfight games. It's a bit of a broad category. I'll look into it more so I can hopefully change things around a bit so they look less similar. IMO so far, they don't look completely identical at least. (The screenshot you posted looks like it was made by someone more skilled  Wink)
Conker534
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 05:39:14 PM »

Hey man its cool keep working on your thing

Also I'm not great with color theory so don't follow my word like its law, but I think all grey colors are very dull and boring, maybe you could use a blue or something to make it more pleasant to look at.

Just a thought.
tatewuzhere
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 06:18:30 PM »

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into the color scheme.

It's such a shame that my game looks similar to theirs. Do you think it looks too similar? Luftrausers looks like a pretty cool and well made game and the last thing I want to do infringe upon that.
Conker534
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 08:54:49 PM »

No I think you should continue working, you're bound to create something different anyways. I mean look at RPG/FPS games in general, if nobody expanded off the first RPG/FPS game, we would be missing out on a ton of great games today.

Go for it.
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 09:04:54 PM »

Game Center in the image has shadows opposite to the rest. Maybe keep them the same?

Do I need a signature?
Blambo
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 06:50:40 PM »

Yeah, I didn't mean to be dismissive. It's a cool concept and and even cooler game style.
tatewuzhere
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 04:09:40 PM »

Thank you Blambo, and I completely understand where you were coming from, so no worries. Smiley

And Impmaster, thanks for the suggestion. I'll change it like you said and see how it looks. (Now that I look at it, it does look a bit out of place)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic