Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1056517 Posts in 42907 Topics- by 34858 Members - Latest Member: bratman

October 23, 2014, 09:52:58 AM
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsPandora
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Pandora  (Read 713 times)
Chis
Level 1

View Profile Email
« on: May 12, 2013, 12:40:43 PM »

After being burned by my last project, which I realized was way outside my capability to make, I've learned my lesson (I think)
So I'm going to really limit myself this time. Here's the idea I've come up with:

It's going to be a 2d platformer/shooter/puzzle game. I don't want to say too much about the plot, but it's definitely meant to be a thought-provoking game. Basically you're a cyborg, and you travel through this laboratory of sorts. At the end of each level is a box, and when you open the box you proceed to the next level. At first you don't seem to have a purpose, other than for the sake of playing the game, but gradually things are revealed to you. There is no dialogue, but you can inspect items for background information. And there will be enemies and you can shoot them yes.
As for the puzzle aspect, one of the main features is being able to "plug" yourself into various types of machinery to control them, to do things you wouldn't be able to do yourself.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 12:56:40 PM by Chis » Logged

Chis
Level 1

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 09:10:38 PM »

boy, I'm even more off track than I thought I would be! but that's okay because design is very very important and I didn't put as much thought into it as I should have. I watched some extra credits episodes which were super informative and essentially made me realize that I had little to no gameplay mechanics to back up the emotions I want to convey to the audience. soo scrapping what I had before, I thought of something new.

here's a tiny sandbox demo. arrow keys to move and x to shoot.

Thecoolestnerdguy
Level 2

while(!succeed) try();

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 05:10:43 PM »

As for the puzzle aspect, one of the main features is being able to "plug" yourself into various types of machinery to control them, to do things you wouldn't be able to do yourself.

Sounds pretty interesting. Definetely wanna see that in action.
I saw you're using Impact on the sandbox demo. I'm always interested in new html5 stuff, as a Javascript programmer.

Sad minecraft didnt copyright squares
heisenbergman
Level 2

LoGaP

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 05:23:34 PM »

Sounds pretty interesting. Definetely wanna see that in action.
+1 - certainly sounds like an intriguing game mechanic, and one that I'd like to try out playing.
Chis
Level 1

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 10:31:10 PM »

Thanks for the feedback guys!

More on the machines: they're more or less "simple machines" that can manipulate platforms in various ways. eg. a wheel can move platforms around in a circle, and a lift can, well, lift platforms. Also, overlapping machines can be chained.

and yeah Impact/HTML5 is great! It's super easy to work with and even easier to distribute Grin

Alright, I've basically got the mechanisms down. I have two simple enemies as well as the wheel and lift I just mentioned. I'll have at least one more of each & a boss, but before that I'm going to design the first level to make sure it actually works.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 10:38:47 PM by Chis » Logged

Chis
Level 1

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 09:42:16 AM »

harry)))
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 10:36:44 AM »

the art style is bangin son

Thecoolestnerdguy
Level 2

while(!succeed) try();

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 03:22:06 PM »

Kiss it.

Sad minecraft didnt copyright squares
sunnder
Level 0

Scorch Arena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 03:26:44 PM »

Well, that was a pretty big jump from blocks to real art. Looks intriguing now!

"In any case you mustn't confuse a single failure with a final defeat." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic