Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1059240 Posts in 43058 Topics- by 35015 Members - Latest Member: bersaelor

October 31, 2014, 04:06:33 AM
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessBest service to sell direct?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Best service to sell direct?  (Read 1149 times)
Ant
« on: May 14, 2013, 09:17:12 AM »

So I'll be launching my game in a few days and want to be able to sell it direct - i.e. not via portals like Desura, so I'm just seeking advice on what's out there and your experiences.

I did email the Humble Store which would be my preferred option but I got some spool about them being in beta and that they'll take my name down when that changes.

So I checked out gumroad.com which looks like a slick outfit and they only charge 5% transaction fee, but it turns out for non-US users they can only pay out through a PayPal account. Considering the extra charges, the hassle and all the scare stories of PayPal freezing small business accounts at the drop of a hat it no longer seems an option to me.

I've read before on here some people use fastspring.com though they charge 9% on transactions and doesn't seem as slick as gumroad which offers a nice site widget. But they seem to be pretty much my only option right now.

Anybody have any experiences with other commerce sites? I'm basically looking for gumroad except where I don't have to deal with PayPal.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 09:44:51 AM »

There's RegNow and BMT Micro also.  Of course they both take a percent of each sale ..

ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 10:36:23 AM »

fastspring and bmt-micro

Archibald
Level 4

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 12:32:06 PM »

Considering the extra charges, the hassle and all the scare stories of PayPal freezing small business accounts at the drop of a hat it no longer seems an option to me.
You know, they "freeze" your account for a few days (or less) after you reach certain volume and unfreeze it immediatelly after you prove your adress, it is a standard procedure, at most a minor annoyance, I can't believe so many people complain about it. As for fees, these are still lower than in BMT mico or any other "full service" provider. Generaly, most what you heard about "horrors of PayPal" is a myth, I have been using them for 7 years, definitely the best payment processor I ever used.

DeliveryApps - $9/month, no fees (but it is a delivery system; Introversion uses them).

Europe1300 - Realistic Historical Medieval Sim
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 12:36:39 PM »

DeliveryApps - $9/month, no fees (but it is a delivery system; Introversion uses them).

Where's this? Googling DeliveryApps didn't return anything useful.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
alastair
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 03:30:14 PM »

I did email the Humble Store which would be my preferred option but I got some spool about them being in beta and that they'll take my name down when that changes.

Wow, that's weird. First time I've heard of them declining someone. I hope they accept my next game ):
ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 12:08:15 AM »

Considering the extra charges, the hassle and all the scare stories of PayPal freezing small business accounts at the drop of a hat it no longer seems an option to me.
You know, they "freeze" your account for a few days (or less) after you reach certain volume and unfreeze it immediatelly after you prove your adress, it is a standard procedure, at most a minor annoyance, I can't believe so many people complain about it. As for fees, these are still lower than in BMT mico or any other "full service" provider. Generaly, most what you heard about "horrors of PayPal" is a myth, I have been using them for 7 years, definitely the best payment processor I ever used.

the reason people don't like to use paypal alone isn't because of that holding of your money stuff, it's because e-commerce service providers provide a lot of stuff paypal doesn't: hosting of downloads of the full version, keeping track of your customer details, refunds, fraud protection, stuff like that. i'm not saying it's impossible to do it just with paypal alone, just that if you *do* do paypal alone (even with a delivery system) you're going to have to do a lot of extra work yourself for other things. if all you want is a way to get paid and that's it, paypal is fine, but if you want the extra stuff i mentioned above, an affiliate network, a way to pay by check or money order, charts to see where most of your customers come from (arranging them on a map of the world), etc., then e-commerce service providers like bmt-micro and fastspring offer that

Ant
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 03:20:43 AM »

Cheers folks.  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Did some more digging on gumroad/paypal - seems gumroad pay out via their own paypal account or something so there's no extra fees aside from the usual 50p when you withdraw paypal funds, and according to this January article paypal seem to be doing something about their freeze-happy ways.

Think I'll risk going with gumroad for now and hope I fly under paypal's radar until hopefully I get in the humble store.

Wow, that's weird. First time I've heard of them declining someone. I hope they accept my next game ):

Yeah I've heard other people getting in too. Dunno if it might be because I haven't sold anything before so they're looking for developers with a track record...

or they just didn't like my gam ;_;
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 09:14:53 AM »

the reason people don't like to use paypal alone isn't because of that holding of your money stuff, it's because e-commerce service providers provide a lot of stuff paypal doesn't: hosting of downloads of the full version, keeping track of your customer details, refunds, fraud protection, stuff like that. i'm not saying it's impossible to do it just with paypal alone, just that if you *do* do paypal alone (even with a delivery system) you're going to have to do a lot of extra work yourself for other things. if all you want is a way to get paid and that's it, paypal is fine, but if you want the extra stuff i mentioned above, an affiliate network, a way to pay by check or money order, charts to see where most of your customers come from (arranging them on a map of the world), etc., then e-commerce service providers like bmt-micro and fastspring offer that
this plus by using an e-commerce service, what you earn are royalties, you are not the seller, unlike using nother service like paypal where you are the seller.
This can make a great difference for tax reasons and for other legal situations.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Ant
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 01:01:04 AM »

So I just set up a test item on gumroad priced at $5.09, bought it but when I checked my bank balance it cost 4.69 when according to google it should have cost 3.34. Gumroad says it charges in USD and extra charges may apply for converting currencies, but that's like a 30% extra cost... is this normal practice?

Aside from that setting everything up has been pretty painless so far so I want to stick with them, but it feels like I'm screwing UK payers over.
alastair
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 01:09:04 AM »

I've never heard of gumroad before (and my internet isn't fast enough to load google atm), do you know if any other devs have used it before? Seems like a strange choice over bmt/fastspring.
Ant
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 01:14:22 AM »

Haven't come across other devs using it but it seems pretty popular for others selling digital goods, ebooks, music, etc. It's super easy setting stuff up and only 5% charge so I'd recommend it if it wasn't for this conversion issue, but I dunno if that's normal (sent an email to gumroad to see what's up).
Archibald
Level 4

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 01:23:33 AM »

Where's this? Googling DeliveryApps didn't return anything useful.
http://www.digitaldeliveryapp.com/
Example: http://www.introversion.co.uk/prisonarchitect/

I have seen them around for a while, so I would say they are reasonably respectable... Still, they are quite new compared to others.

this plus by using an e-commerce service, what you earn are royalties, you are not the seller, unlike using nother service like paypal where you are the seller.
This can make a great difference for tax reasons and for other legal situations.
Can I do both? Run a company and sell the same game directly (as company's income) and via portals (as royalties to me as a person)?

Europe1300 - Realistic Historical Medieval Sim
colinshark
Level 0

Greased Beast

xcrispyOnAIM
View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 12:08:40 PM »

As much as I hate PayPal, they have worked out alright for me. I don't have any problems with charge-backs, and I keep very little money actually in the account (~$100).

I've found that PayPal is very important for the international customers.

I make Gimbal - Build Ships - Multiplayer - Physics
Ant
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2013, 05:10:31 AM »

So I just set up a test item on gumroad priced at $5.09, bought it but when I checked my bank balance it cost 4.69 when according to google it should have cost 3.34. Gumroad says it charges in USD and extra charges may apply for converting currencies, but that's like a 30% extra cost... is this normal practice?

Just a quick update on this, seems my bank is charging the card I was using a straight extra 1.25 for buying in dollars or something, so this was all to do with funding bankers' bonuses and not an issue with gumroad.

So I'll be going with them and should get everything up tonight, if anybody has any questions fire away. It all seems pretty slick so far and it has kinds of options - even stuff like setting it to a 'pay what you want' with a minimum price. The only downsides I've found so far are:

- Non-US users have to be paid through PayPal (though the only charge afaik is the 50p when move the PayPal funds to my bank).
- Support is pretty sketchy. They seem to have a dude on twitter that answers all the simple questions really fast, but if you need anything more indepth their email support isn't great. I was getting one email reply from them every 24 hours (even if I replied really fast).
- The way they do sales is that a customer either has to buy via a special url or they can type in a voucher code. No biggie but it would be nice if I could do a sale on the base product and not have to faff with different urls.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic