Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 09:55:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsHiddenThe DromeValley of the DeadUnpaid Workvoxel game
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: voxel game  (Read 6913 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2013, 02:24:09 PM »

Humm I can count a dozen of game and team that are already doing just that

rogger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2013, 09:13:38 AM »

Calm down. Go to the bank, get some money thats how the things done.

Sorry, but this is wrong on many levels. That's recipe for disaster.
1. Borrowing money for product without proof of market traction.
2. Hiring developers without interest in making successful product.

rogger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2013, 09:14:38 AM »

Humm I can count a dozen of game and team that are already doing just that

What are you referring to?
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2013, 11:02:05 AM »

1. http://procworld.blogspot.fr/
2. http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/05/13/the-voxels-are-academic-tug/

oh and shit here is an incomplete list, there are much more I know about that aren't there, but "dozen" is literally exploded in number:
http://madrealms.net/forum/more-games/list-of-voxel-games

rogger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2013, 01:06:22 PM »

Big thanks Gimym!

Few failed, but very interesting projects. Obviously it would be a lot easier to start from existing game with a developer who made it in the first place.

Thanks again.
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2013, 01:41:47 PM »

You're perfectly capable of learning to program.  Your insistence that you can't simply serves to demonstrate your inability to commit to a long and daunting task -- like making a game.  You state that you have an idea, but the idea you present is no more complex than the title of this thread -- make a voxel game.  Perhaps you have more developed ideas you're not sharing, but by doing so you withold all possible credibility.

Essentially, anyone who is naive enough to take you up on this offer to collaborate will be a novice -- unskilled, sloppy, and likely to flake out on you.  If you want to get something made, and you don't have the credentials to attract professional collaborators, I suggest you make it yourself.  Take it from someone who gets things done.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2013, 02:05:18 PM »

It's not like there isn't thousand gazillion tutorial and free engine to start with ...

http://www.blockstory.net/node/56
https://sites.google.com/site/letsmakeavoxelengine/

Oh shit there is so many hit on google it's like ...
https://www.google.fr/search?q=voxel+engine+tutorial&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb
wow

rogger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2013, 02:45:55 PM »

Not everyone can be a programmer, however hard they try - right? I have realized this simple fact many years ago while trying to get a grasp of dynamic web, I just can't get my head around it - simple as that.

As for the process of making games. Yes, I do understand it takes time and effort. However looking at Gimym's list I see a lot of projects for which people put a lot of T & E yet failed to achieve a success [with notable exceptions]. So, those guys could actually benefit from focusing on monetization first, programming second - don't you think?

I've started this thread with simple question in mind - how to create a [simple] voxel based game that would be likely to achieve a commercial success. I do have idea what could be unique gameplay. Of course I won't share it in public for various reasons - 1. first mover advantage, 2. every programmer has ideas, they don't need mine, 3. I'm crazy and I don't want the world to find out [lol]

Anyway, I've gained some useful insight so this thread is worth having.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2013, 02:51:33 PM »

I know what you feel, i'm not a programmer too and it's like I'm ripping my own head, yet there is no other way, use an existing tool, learn basic concept, find your production style, cheat, and i mean cheat a lot!

Fun fact: you can't monetize a program that isn't made. The best way to thinki about how to monetize is to MVP

Here is an idea I have for a simple voxel game: minecraft but time travel, YAY it cost nothing. Idea mean nothing, the same idea can be executed in many different way, execution will matter and luck a lot too. And it does not matter if you are first, more competent people with actual market penetration can still rip you hard (zynga)

Pixelgent
Level 1

Pixels and Polygons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2013, 09:29:22 PM »

“I’m really good at ideas. That’s
what I want to do in the team; be
the guy who has the ideas.”

Join the queue.
At the back.
Behind the guy who can draw, the girl who can code and
the ones who can write, plan, create, evaluate, debug,
submit and deliver.

They've got ideas,too.
silverback
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2013, 04:24:28 AM »

I got the idea. Try to make a game without it.

Gametype TBD? what is this idea that you have? It sounds like making a MC-type game for the sole purpose of making money.

Indie isn't about making games for money, it's about making games with love, if your ideas are decent, the money follows.
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2013, 05:29:24 AM »

"Not everyone can be a programmer, however hard they try - right? I have realized this simple fact many years ago while trying to get a grasp of dynamic web, I just can't get my head around it - simple as that. "

-wrong.

some people might not have a talent for programming or the dexterity to sit through the thousands of late nights, but in my opinion EVERYONE could learn how to pogram.

just start small, heck there are even programming langugaes/tools especcialy for children!
http://scratch.mit.edu/

or just simple ones
http://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker/studio
https://www.scirra.com/

just get some of those ideas out of your head and make them into working thingies.
then get better at that.
then maybe worry about your multimillion dollar gamedesign carreer.

Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2013, 06:05:08 AM »

My god you are fucking dense.

Not everyone can be a programmer, however hard they try - right? I have realized this simple fact many years ago while trying to get a grasp of dynamic web, I just can't get my head around it - simple as that.

Wow, you failed after trying something small and simple and gave up?  Game dev is going to be so easy for you!

As for the process of making games. Yes, I do understand it takes time and effort. However looking at Gimym's list I see a lot of projects for which people put a lot of T & E yet failed to achieve a success [with notable exceptions]. So, those guys could actually benefit from focusing on monetization first, programming second - don't you think?

A shameless cashgrab, that's a surefire way to make a good game that will capture the hearts and minds of fans!

I do have idea what could be unique gameplay. Of course I won't share it in public for various reasons - 1. first mover advantage, 2. every programmer has ideas, they don't need mine, 3. I'm crazy and I don't want the world to find out [lol]

2 and 3 are correct.  1 is you being delusional and actually thinking your idea has value.  I know that everyone has beat the drum that ideas are valueless and execution is all that matters, but it is correct.  In fact even further, your idea is probably worse than valueless as it probably sucks and you won't realize this until spending a lot of time (or money [or both]) figuring that out.
rogger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2013, 10:44:40 AM »

My god you are fucking dense.

Wow, you failed after trying something small and simple and gave up?  Game dev is going to be so easy for you!

A shameless cashgrab, that's a surefire way to make a good game that will capture the hearts and minds of fans!

I do have idea what could be unique gameplay. Of course I won't share it in public for various reasons - 1. first mover advantage, 2. every programmer has ideas, they don't need mine, 3. I'm crazy and I don't want the world to find out [lol]

2 and 3 are correct.  1 is you being delusional and actually thinking your idea has value.  I know that everyone has beat the drum that ideas are valueless and execution is all that matters, but it is correct.  In fact even further, your idea is probably worse than valueless as it probably sucks and you won't realize this until spending a lot of time (or money [or both]) figuring that out.

Take a chill pill [and get a life].
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 11:05:15 AM by rogger » Logged
Jubjub
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2013, 10:46:21 AM »

He's absolutely right though.

It will be very hard to form a team if the only thing you can contribute to it is an idea.

If you want to make money, there are much easier ways than making indie games.
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2013, 10:56:15 AM »

He's absolutely right though.

It will be very hard to form a team if the only thing you can contribute to it is an idea.

If you want to make money, there are much easier ways than making indie games.
True. I heard story about Call Of Duty developer guy, who droped gamedev job for some unrelated one and made more money in month, that he done in year during being dev. Althought he got bored and got back just because he loved games more.
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2013, 11:44:15 AM »

With conflict resolution skills like this, I can see you will make a wonderful team leader!
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2013, 12:28:21 PM »

With conflict resolution skills like this, I can see you will make a wonderful team leader!

Cheesy

No, seriously, listen to the man. He made several valid points. I also wouldn't rule out the option that game development isn't the right thing for you. The bar has been raised pretty high in the [indie] game development world, so you really got to pack a lot of skills. If think there are two ways to approach it. You either pick a subject and hone in on that skill specifically, or you try to expand your skill-set as much as possible, and while you won't be able to master everything, you will become self-sustainable. Lots of people (including me) have chosen the latter so they can produce art and music of certain quality but also design and program the actual thing. If that's something you can't do pick something specific and start working on that. Game design for example. Ideas are important but expanding and being able to write them down is even moreso. You've got to have an answer to every question your team-member might have.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 12:35:30 PM by Eigen » Logged

SterlingDee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2013, 07:41:32 PM »

I got the idea. Try to make a game without it.

Gametype TBD? what is this idea that you have? It sounds like making a MC-type game for the sole purpose of making money.

Indie isn't about making games for money, it's about making games with love, if your ideas are decent, the money follows.

It can also be about building a portfolio and experience & trying to move onto bigger things. A financially viable product that could be turned around in a short amount of time would be a great addition to any beginner's portfolio. I'm not saying this is necessarily the right idea for that, but OP's head is in the right place imo.

Motion Logic Studios
2D & 3D Art - AAA Experience, Indie-Friendly Prices
Feel free to email me or connect with me on twitter!
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2013, 05:13:41 AM »

just remembered

Craftstudio might be a good tool for you
http://craftstud.io/

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic