Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:53:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Unfallen
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: The Unfallen  (Read 3500 times)
Virion
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 15, 2013, 12:15:23 PM »

The Unfallen is a top down action RPG game set in a fantasy medieval world. Player plays as an ancient warrior - Aidan, who was being summoned back from the grave by the Wizard of Darcus to save the world from destruction by his old rival - Zerox, the ancient demon who were once defeated by no other than himself a thousand years ago.

Aidan has lost most of his memory as well as his strength, as he has been sleeping peacefully in the grave for more than a thousand years. Player has to combat all the way throughout the levels to gain back his strength, put back pieces of his memory and discover what have been happening around for the past thousand years when he wasn't around. All these will give him a clue as to what are the real purposes he were summoned back from death and what choices he can make in order to save the world from destruction. There will be a lot of twists in the storyline to make it more interesting.

Since I am working on this project in solo, the workflow is much more flexible, I may be doing design one day, and suddenly jump to programming the next day, and vice versa.

----------------------------------------------

So far the progress...

Design: 15%
Programming: 5%
Art: 8%

[UPDATED] Screenshots:

I really like this genre and settings. I have been dreaming of making this type of games but for my daily jobs I've been doing mostly casual games which is not my cup of tea. The game is quite simple which makes this project doable and possible to finish within a reasonable time frame.

This is just a hobby project so I'll just post all my progress here instead of making a blog/website specifically for it. I think it's very important to keep up my interest and passion in game development by doing some hobby projects during free time. Otherwise I would most likely died off from game industry after couple of years doing games that I don't really like.

That's all for now. I will be posting more updates here very soon.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 08:52:38 AM by Virion » Logged
psyguy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 04:08:32 PM »

If you've only got 5% art done, that's a pretty good 5%, that's all I can say right now.  Smiley
Virion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 07:28:16 PM »

If you've only got 5% art done, that's a pretty good 5%, that's all I can say right now.  Smiley
Thanks.  Smiley

I've done some prop models. Will be making more building models to form a medieval city.

Controls:

WASD for moving around
Q and E to switch between active skills
Button 1,2,3,4,5 also for selecting active skill
Left Click for melee attack
Right Click for skill attack

Leveling Stats:

Strength - Stronger melee attack, melee defense, higher HP
Intelligence - Stronger magic power, magic defense, higher MP
Agility - Walking and Attack speed

Not sure if 3 stats are sufficient. Might add more stats but it will make it harder to code.  Embarrassed

In order to level up and get stronger, player has to obtain as many Orb of Essence as possible which will be dropped by monsters when die. There are several different types of orbs, which differ in color and experience point.

From lowest exp point to highest: White, Yellow, Orange, Red, Purple, Black

Types of Skills:

There are 2 types of skills - Physical skills & magical skills
Physical skills are neutral and attack with bare weapons.
Magical skills are elemental and attack with spells.

That's all for today.
Virion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 05:58:25 AM »

More houses are done. I'm using the same texture atlas to keep the style consistent and also reduce draw calls.

Virion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 11:56:40 PM »

Today I start working on programming.

- Movement with keyboard/mouse and joystick [done]
- Melee attack using left click [done]
- Monsters chasing player around [done]
But I found out there are some problems with unity's path finding system. It is not suitable for changing the path at realtime (eg.chasing player) especially when there are many monsters in the scene. I'll probably try to optimize it, or change to grid based pathfinding instead of nav mesh.

I'm using place holders for the player and monsters (grey cubes) so there isn't any screenshot to be shown yet.

At the same time I'm planning what type of style should the characters look like. More to come.
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 12:09:28 AM »

Hey, Virion.

I remember you from the Irrlicht forums. Are you still active there? Your new game looks pretty good. I wish you nothing but good luck with it. However it does seem like quite a large project for just one guy to pull off. Then again if this is your hobby project it doesn't matter how many years it takes to complete as long as it's fun to work on.

Again, looking good! Cool

surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 12:17:30 AM »

Looks really sweet, but I do hope that the "s" in the title is a typo, or at the very least a working title.
It reads/sounds really disagreeable to my native(ish) English(Australian)-speaking eyes/ears.
"Fallen" is its own plural do it doesn't need the "s" to form a plural.
"The Unfallen" without the "s" is all cool though.

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
Virion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 12:48:24 AM »

Hey, Virion.

I remember you from the Irrlicht forums. Are you still active there? Your new game looks pretty good. I wish you nothing but good luck with it. However it does seem like quite a large project for just one guy to pull off. Then again if this is your hobby project it doesn't matter how many years it takes to complete as long as it's fun to work on.

Again, looking good! Cool
Yeah I'm from Irrlicht forum. Nope, I have not visited irrlicht forum for ages. No longer using Irrlicht. Shrug Yeah I'm doing this just for fun.  Grin I won't be building all the assets myself. A friend of mine is helping me with the assets, I'll also buy some of the generic models such as trees and plants. That will save up some time.

Looks really sweet, but I do hope that the "s" in the title is a typo, or at the very least a working title.
It reads/sounds really disagreeable to my native(ish) English(Australian)-speaking eyes/ears.
"Fallen" is its own plural do it doesn't need the "s" to form a plural.
"The Unfallen" without the "s" is all cool though.
Ahh. Sorry for my funky english Embarrassed english is not my first language. I'll remove the 's' right away. Thanks. Gentleman
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 12:59:05 AM by Virion » Logged
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 01:07:40 AM »

Really good quality assets, I'm liking the vibe and the backstory Smiley

♒ben
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 05:46:41 AM »

Seems like a good scope of project to me and it seems like you've got a great start on it. Try to avoid the feature creep, stuff like adding more stats, I see no reason to add more unless they add something unique and interesting to the mechanics.
Virion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 07:38:32 AM »

Thanks guys, I will try to avoid any pointless features that are not improving the gameplay.

Today I'm working on a generic male character model. I will use this model and modify it into different characters for player and NPCs. It's almost done, only left the hands and feet.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 05:44:41 AM by Virion » Logged
Virion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 02:58:34 AM »

My generic male character model is now done. I can start creating any male character by modifying this generic model. It will speed up the progress a lot.

Not perfect but...  hey, it's a top down game! Embarrassed
rundown
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 03:06:34 AM »

I think his head is to big and his legs to smal

Virion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 05:46:06 AM »

I think his head is to big and his legs to smal
Yes you were right. I put an anatomy image behind the 3D model to check, the head indeed was too big (also the torso a little too long).

This is the new one. Much better now. Thanks! Beer!
Virion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2013, 08:50:26 AM »

By modifying the generic male model, I was able to quickly make a peasant NPC model in less than 2 hours. It will take me even less time to create several different types of NPCs by modifying this peasant model.

That's all for today, let's see what I can do tomorrow.
Productivity!! (Yes I'm really enjoy doing this project Smiley)
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2013, 01:52:16 PM »

Really digging this character model!
I am waiting to see the textures applied Smiley

Great models overall, by the way.

Virion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2013, 07:47:22 AM »

Finally done the peasant texture! Cheesy

Diffuse only. I leave some space at the top right corner just incase other variant of peasant NPCs need it.

Realtime render in game engine. This will be the view when NPC is talking to the player. Or maybe slightly higher.

This is the normal view.

More to come!
Virion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 12:48:23 AM »

Did all these variants in 15 minutes.

Virion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 11:48:49 PM »

Latest progress:

Done 3 variants of castle guards

Did a flag stand. The flag is animated using bone.

Testing water shader for fountain
Virion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2013, 06:52:20 AM »

Over the weekends I have been continuing to construct the first level by adding more assets to the scene. I'm trying to build the ruin which was once a city when the protagonist was still alive a thousand years ago. The cities that player can interact with human NPCs are the "new cities" built by the later generations.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic