Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:13:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesTIGS Game Club: Little Big Adventure 2
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: TIGS Game Club: Little Big Adventure 2  (Read 1696 times)
Praying Mantis
Level 3

View Profile
« on: May 15, 2013, 01:31:52 PM »

For the months of May and June we will be playing Little Big Adventure 2. For game club, we select a game each month, play that game and discuss it. That's what this thread is for.

You can get LBA2 from GOG.com for $6.00 . Although no-one's stopping you from obtaining the game by less... legal means, if you have to.
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 01:37:58 PM »

I already have it on GOG so I'm downloading it right now. It's going to be so cool to have people comment on this game.

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 03:47:37 AM »

I played this so much 14 years ago, good times.

Rahrahrah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 09:32:16 AM »

Ahh.. this morning I got thrown back into my cell.  Then made it outside.  Then made my breakfast and lunch (not in game, hehehhe) and left out the door. 

I'll just keep thinking today about the twinsun/twinsen connection if there is any.  Its funny to see the cut scenes and think, "Hey, its got more into it than FarCry3:Blood Dragon"..

So far though, its tons of old timey fun.  I loved loved loved Alone in the Dark and all the games in its line of sequels.

Trying more and more to relate less and less to Sisyphus.
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 06:45:16 AM »

One of my favourite games of all time! Kiss

The worlds, story and characters are so touching I often got a little misty-eyed, especially in the end. The music is also most excellent. Nostalgia is strong with this one.

I replay it at least once every few years. So I guess it's time for it again. Sadly I've misplaced the CD so GOG it is!

mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 06:58:17 AM »

I basically speedran the first part with all the wizard trials because I know it so well. Wizard
Sadly that diminishes the exploration and why I thought the game was so cool when I was little. I was very young when I first played it with my cousin and we spent hours just on the first island.

@Eigen

That seems like how a lot of the people who played the game feels about it. Smiley

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 07:51:36 AM »

Yeah, it seems to be the universal sentiment among the players.

Man, I was stuck on the first island forever when I first played it. I was supposed to find the lighthouse keeper to clear the weather. I looked into every nook and cranny and I knew how to get into the caves but a gate blocked my path so I couldn't continue on. I only accidentally discovered the magic ball could be used to activate switches and stuff from a distance. That was an excellent moment and I remember it so fondly because my journey had just began Smiley

bitserum
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 02:44:50 PM »

Just got it from GOG.
Am roaming around the island, wondering why the controls are so weird (not too weird, getting used to them). I did expect it to be point and click due to perspective.

Loved the intro, it sent shivers down my spine, that's always a great sign with any game.

I wonder, will I miss any important plot elements since I didn't play the prequel? Seems to be a lot of reminiscing going on, on the island.
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 10:03:01 PM »

I wonder, will I miss any important plot elements since I didn't play the prequel? Seems to be a lot of reminiscing going on, on the island.

No, I don't think so. I have only played the first game half-way as the difficulty is just too damn high so I never got around to the end. Basically they all think you're a hero for saving the planet, Sendell makes a return and there are a few references to Dr. FunFrock but that's about it. I don't think there's anything you must know to complete the game.

Regarding the difficulty I think the second game is far easier than the first but there are certain sections that are still pretty hard, especially those more involved in combat. Combat's quite clunky I think. The sometimes-odd camera angles also makes some jumping bits tricky to perform.

Loved the intro, it sent shivers down my spine, that's always a great sign with any game.

Me too, it totally gives me goosebumps. I love it. The sun is shining, children are laughing and beautiful music plays in the background. Tears of Joy

mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 10:10:36 AM »

So how far have you gotten? I just used my new hoverpack to retrieve the protection spell on desert island.

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 01:22:42 AM »

This game is magical. But I'm having a real hard time playing it nowadays, it's hard to look past the controls and camera these days Sad

Praying Mantis
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 04:24:01 AM »

Started playing for about an hour. Managed to beat up a kid and take his money.

I like the atmosphere, but the I was immediately struck by how obnoxious the controls are. They are particularly cumbersome when doing jump puzzles and fighting.
F8_Sean
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 05:07:25 AM »

I remember getting to some factory level and trying to find gears. One of them seemed impossible to find so I gave up and gave the game away. That, and it crashed a lot on my Pentium II.

From a design perspective, the mode switching wasn't implemented very well. Uh oh, there's an enemy, have to switch to aggressive mode.

I like programming odd things. If you're looking to collaborate on something C#/XNA/MonoGame/PSM, hit me up!

Blog | Portfolio | Twitter
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 05:38:31 AM »

The combat and movement was never good, charming at best but very often frustrating. Unfortunately that is the hump you will have to get over. The game isn't too difficult though.

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 05:46:58 AM »

Yeah, it's rather clunky at times but the story, characters and mood more than make up for it.

Rahrahrah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 09:19:08 AM »

I'm going to say that it is very nice that everything you need to interact with doesn't glow or blink gold and white.  This old trope I do enjoy.  No hand-holding.

Trying more and more to relate less and less to Sisyphus.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic