Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1048086 Posts in 42493 Topics- by 34368 Members - Latest Member: Rogilest

October 01, 2014, 10:23:02 PM
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessFaceBook Fan Page vs Game's Website
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: FaceBook Fan Page vs Game's Website  (Read 1064 times)
Venks
Level 0

View Profile Email
« on: May 17, 2013, 09:05:22 PM »

I was just wondering if you guys could give me insight on how one should be effectively using their Facebook Fan Page when it comes to marketing and advertising for your game. I was wondering what exactly should differentiate your FB page from your website or blog? Or should there not be any differences and both sites get all the same updates?

Also when raising awareness for your game is it better to send people to your FB fan page or your website/blog?
Konidias
Level 4

konidias
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 09:59:30 PM »

With facebook you can do stuff like "Like this post if you blah blah blah"

or ask your fan base questions as they tend to be easier to respond to on facebook than on a website where they might have to sign up to post comments or something. Plus facebook updates are going to get to people a lot easier than website updates usually, depending on how you have your site set up.

But generally you want to try to have the same stuff all over the place, and it doesn't hurt to have a facebook fan page and keep it updated.

ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 10:12:21 PM »

i don't really have much advice, both of my facebook fan pages that i run have very few fans (less than 200 combined), which isn't very much of a user base to figure out what works and what doesn't:

https://www.facebook.com/saturateddreamers
https://www.facebook.com/immortaldefense

nonetheless from what little i have, what i do is i tend to post short updates to facebook about interesting or quirky things, and keep big updates to my website. for example, for me, trivia about how to pronounce a character's name, or stuff like fan art or let's plays, belongs on facebook, not the website. whereas stuff like new trailers would go on both facebook and the website

SterlingDee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 12:27:45 PM »

I personally think a facebook page should have some content that is not related to your game - like share content that is of interest to your fans in addition to updates about your game.

Venks
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 04:47:50 PM »

I see I see. Good stuff. That does make a lot of sense having fan made let's plays, fan art, and just small interesting things all getting a spot on the fan page unlike your website.
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

tomek_grochowiak@op.pl
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 06:35:34 AM »

I actualy just release a blog article with our stats and experiences from promoting our games through social networks. Maybe you'll find it useful.

http://moacube.com/blog/how-we-handle-our-social-networks/

At least for us, Facebook and other networks prove to be more useful and drive more traffic than press features or news on our own homepage.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCubeBlog | Twitter | Facebook
FamousAspect
Level 1

some day you will die

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 07:37:36 AM »

In 2011, I did a talk at GDC Online about marketing for Dragon Age Legends. There is a lot of information on the talk about different tactics we tried on the facebook fan page and the sort of response we got from each. You can watch the talk for free on the GDC Vault.

Of, if you would like to just click through the slides I posted them up on my blog.

TL;DR version:
  • The majority of our likes and responses came from direct to player marketing, not articles and trailers on big name sites
  • Build a regular presence on Facebook with multiple, small posts a week
  • Players responded best to visual posts, 1 image with little or no text
  • Use your concept art and in production art. It is one of the best ways to get a response from your facebook fans
  • Facebook fan page is nice because posts can go viral and create new fans
  • Fans also love anything where participating allows them to make a mark on the game (eg, comment here to name a new character)

petertos
Level 3

I like to dance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 02:04:27 AM »

My advice is that if you are not going to invest money on Facebook promotion and you quickly see that your product is not viral, then you could *or should* shut your facebook fan page because it's crazy to see a good product with, let's say, less than 1000 fans on the platform. If you are very active on it then you could try but I don't find it useful enough today.

On your website you can make mailing lists and manage your own advertising, I don't know if this is enough either, this is something you have to leverage yourself.

http://pliski.com/ - Serious Entertainment
Xienen
Level 3

Greater Good Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 02:43:48 AM »

I was just wondering if you guys could give me insight on how one should be effectively using their Facebook Fan Page when it comes to marketing and advertising for your game. I was wondering what exactly should differentiate your FB page from your website or blog? Or should there not be any differences and both sites get all the same updates?

Also when raising awareness for your game is it better to send people to your FB fan page or your website/blog?

Not that our first game was very successful, but we didn't create a game specific website nor fanpage.  We are keeping everything about the collective of the company with all games being hosted on a subsection of greatergoodgames.org, all Facebook being kept on our company's Facebook page, and all tweeting being done from our company's Twitter account.  The idea behind this is that making players aware of one of our games will tend to make them aware of our whole future catalog(we've only released 1 game so far).  If we want a game specific domain name, we'll just have it mirror or forward to the game page on our company site.

If we have a game that seems to get a following, we will probably create a Facebook fan page just to be the owners of it and give players the ability to "Like" the game on Facebook.

Hijinkz
Level 0

Ask about the Moon Bananas!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 08:53:47 PM »

A good game landing page should send a player to a number of locations like a junction point. The ultimate goal is to get a download/play so that should be the most important thing. A Facebook page is a destination from the game page where you show potential players what kinds of players and ideas you want associated with the game. It's also a great way for players to reach you directly and learn more information on a network they visit daily, something a website can't guarantee.

PR/Social Media for Mobile and Indie Games
petertos
Level 3

I like to dance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 10:43:52 PM »

Careful, Facebook gets a non-exclusive license of use for any material uploaded and hosted into them: videos, pictures... No one cares today about this but...

http://pliski.com/ - Serious Entertainment
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic