Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:42:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Forgettable Dungeon: Online Co-op Roguelike - Early Access Release!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
Print
Author Topic: The Forgettable Dungeon: Online Co-op Roguelike - Early Access Release!  (Read 47236 times)
Rotondo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: June 22, 2015, 06:26:49 PM »

Chicken flying:

A guy suggested this at PAX East, I love zelda so I decided to add it in. Now I just need to make some special areas for it to be used!

Dramatic bombs:

I'm really happy I figured out how to get scaling animations to work, it really makes the bomb.

I also caught two people playing chicken catch when I was doing a public test:

Rotondo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: June 29, 2015, 10:38:36 AM »

I've been experimenting with how to solve the problem where players have poor viewing when behind dungeon walls.

So far I've experimented with dynamically lowering the walls, which looks kind of cool.

I've also messed around with a animal crossing style effect, this still needs some tweaking but it looks really neat.

Overall I'm not fully settled in on what to do, if you guys have any opinions or ideas I'd love to hear them.

Keith
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 29, 2015, 11:29:20 AM »

At first I was like hmmm, not sure how I feel about Animal Cross style, but I think if you combined the two methods it may actually look good.

Try it out.

Also, I think that there should be an option to choose between the regular camera and A.C style camera.

- Heads Or Fails Devlog
BarelyHuman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 29, 2015, 12:27:17 PM »

Hey man, this game looks great! It's like a rogue version of the game 3d dot game heros, character creator and all. Keep up the great work!:)
Rotondo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: June 30, 2015, 10:17:03 PM »

Thanks for the comments guys, I tried doing both effects at once and it was very unsettling for my stomach.

Honestly after prolonged exposure to the curved world I started getting a pretty bad headache lol.

--

Tonight I messed around with showing the monsters health by taking out pixel chunks.

Rotondo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: July 02, 2015, 10:07:22 AM »

I made it so you decapitate the monster if you kill it in one hit,

Under normal circumstances it works as a health bar, you take off pieces of the monster you're fighting.

Same goes for your teammates and yourself, the more damage you take the more pieces you lose.

Keith
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 02, 2015, 10:50:53 AM »

That looks pretty sweet.

In my personal preference, I rather see enemies explode when they die instead of losing pieces over time. One possible way you'd be able to show health for that is by making the enemies colours go darker with each hit.

My only issue with them losing pieces bit by bit is that, there may be an enemy that barely has any pieces left, but because there is multiple enemies, it looks like that enemy is dead when it's not. Also, how would they still be able to attack if their hand gets taken away or whatever they use to attack does? Plus, I'd hate to be fighting this really cool looking monster only to watch the art disappear in a few swings. Another way that might be cool is maybe have a 8-bit heart over their head?

Although, since this is like Zelda in a way, I "think" the best way would be to just let the enemies keep getting attacked till they have no health, then they explode into pieces. Don't even give a sign of how much health an enemy has left. I remember when I played Link To The Past the first few times, and I had no idea how much health they had. Instead I had to keep a mental note of how much hits each enemy takes. I "think" that along with exploring dungeons with no road-map will add some slight strategy to the game.

For example, you run into a room of multiple enemies. Now you may remember that enemy A only takes 3 hits, enemy B takes 5 hits and enemy C takes 9. Well, you're going to most likely go for A then B then C or maybe opposite. The only way you would have been able to come up with a way to figure out who you want to attack first is through all the previous hours playing and learning each enemy.

That's just my opinion though. I'm sure others will like it how it is now, which is fine, cause at the end of the day, it's whatever you feel most comfortable with. Smiley

- Heads Or Fails Devlog
Rotondo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: July 06, 2015, 06:08:10 PM »

Thanks for the feedback Keith, you make some really good points that I need to think about.

At max I only remove a little less than half pixels to preserve overall sprite integrity, but yeah it can be pretty cool not knowing how tough an enemy is going to be.

Though I do really like using the effect on player characters, it works as a great indicator of your teammates overall health.

--

Today I was messing around with tweening camera effects and noticed that this actually acts as a pretty cool way to convey teleporting to the player,

Rotondo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: July 08, 2015, 07:02:29 PM »

I messed around with some prefab room loading again, eventually these rooms are going to be spread within the dungeon so there's more variety to the dungeon.

The camera effect is going to be used for entering secret rooms that are going to be off to the side, or special rooms like boss rooms or challenge

Also just to let everyone know I'm getting surgery tomorrow to hopefully remedy some long running health problems I've been having, so development will slow down for a few weeks.

Either that or I'm going to get super high off of pain killers and make the best game ever.

Keith
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 08, 2015, 07:18:03 PM »

Glad you like the feedback, because I have more. Haha. Don't hurt me.

I like the idea of just the player having bits being taken away, it's almost like battle damage.

As for the teleporting camera, my worry is that it will what's in rooms that you have yet to explore. The way I can see fixing that is by having each room be dark until you have entered it. That way, you don't spoiler yourself with what's ahead.

As for the second camera, personally,I would make it not move as fast. I think a smoother transition would look better and be easier on the eyes for some players that might get motion sickness.

However, the most important thing of it all is that you get your surgery and rest up. Smiley I hope all goes well. Don't feel like you need to rush back to the game. If you need to take a week off or however long then do it. I'm sure I'm not the only one when I say that we look forward to your return and to a healthy recovery.

Take care. Smiley  Beer!

- Heads Or Fails Devlog
Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: August 01, 2015, 06:13:01 PM »

Thanks for the comments guys, I tried doing both effects at once and it was very unsettling for my stomach.

Honestly after prolonged exposure to the curved world I started getting a pretty bad headache lol.

--

Tonight I messed around with showing the monsters health by taking out pixel chunks.

I really like this! I'm  not sure what you were thinking in terms of when/if to wipe the pixels, but I'd like to see at least some left behind, like a sort of marker. Maybe a small pile where it was killed? Or even just loose pixels strewn about - I just think it would give a more tangible effect for the player.

Edit: Though, to take Keith's comments in to account as well, I'd say tone the effect down a bit. Maybe just a bit of chipping at 25%, a few pixels a 50%, cracking at 75%, and then a few more pixels at 100%?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 06:20:33 PM by Pixel Noise » Logged

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
Rotondo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: August 12, 2015, 11:20:34 AM »

Thanks for the comments guys!

Right now the effect stops at about 30% but it's going to need some more tweaking most likely.

I'm finally able to get back to a somewhat normal work schedule on the game!

The surgery ended up knocking me out a bit longer than I thought but thankfully things are somewhat back to normal now.

Now for some good news,

The game got into the Boston FIG indie showcase this year! If you're in the Boston area around September 12th you should come down.

Now for some actual game progress,

I've been messing around with adding some prefab room types into the dungeon for variety.

The half cubes are fun to be able to throw and shoot over, though I'm unsure if the player should be able to jump over them. Honestly jumping in general has been a confusing topic, it is quite fun to do but it leads to some weird gameplay situations.

Right now I've been working on some crescendo moments that trap you in a room and force you to deal with the environment and enemies before moving on. So far these have proven to be a great way to break up the flow of gameplay and create some interesting situations.

Rotondo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: August 14, 2015, 10:01:27 AM »

I added simple prefab loading to the dungeon to break up the combat a bit.

( I just noticed that many seams are showing that should not be, i'll have to fix this later )

I'm still not sure how to handle the half cube things, since jumping is still in the game you can jump clean over them but that makes things too easy.

A user suggested that I add a roc's feather type of item, which would balance some things out as you'd lose your alt attack but gain a new mobility and dodging capability.

Right now you can throw things over them, and shoot over them.

I'm going to also add support for bottomless pits and fire pits, but I'm not sure how to balance those out yet. As I don't think a one hit kill would be fun.

Rotondo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: August 15, 2015, 04:12:31 PM »

I experimented with adding some depth to the most visible walls, subtle but pretty cool.

Not sure if I'd be able to add this to all walls, or if it'd be even worth it since the side walls are rarely seen.

I also made it so you can destroy locked doors to prevent getting stuck in an unsolvable dungeon, in case you get teleported out. Though in the future the doors are going to probably have to be beefier to prevent running.

This also potentially creates a cool situation where your friend is trapped in a room fighting monsters and you have to break the door down frantically to get to him.

Rotondo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: August 18, 2015, 04:40:35 PM »

Added in proper pitfalls,

Currently this is what happens when you fall into one,

Does about 1/3 damage of your total life bar, still deadly but not an instant KO.

Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: August 18, 2015, 04:59:27 PM »

The surgery ended up knocking me out a bit longer than I thought but thankfully things are somewhat back to normal now.

a month and four days, to be precise, lol

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
Rotondo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: August 24, 2015, 09:18:38 AM »

a month and four days, to be precise, lol

Turns out hip surgery is no joke lol.

--

I took some more pics of the prefab stuff, I really dig the look of the pits.

The bots have been tweaked a lot so they function much better now on the new obstacles, but that's not as easily giffable.

I also added jumping back as a feather item, so now jumping can be OP as hell since it's not something you always have.

You can use it to get around the environment a lot easier, and avoid a lot of traps.

Rotondo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: August 24, 2015, 06:02:30 PM »

I'm getting the promo stuff ready for the Boston FIG booklet, any feedback is welcome.

Here's the text I'm going with so far,

The Forgettable Dungeon is an online & offline CO-OP action roguelike, heavily inspired by Zelda and the original Rogue.
Team up with your friends and fight your way through the procedurally generated dungeons, find rare and strange treasures that will help you fight off the hordes of enemies, and find the forbidden amulet.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 06:17:27 PM by Rotondo » Logged

Rotondo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: August 27, 2015, 12:10:43 PM »

Added a new enemy to the game, the sprites still wip but I was mainly focusing on the animation.

First pass: The basic idea works, it's functional in game but very boring and hard to read.

Second pass: fleshed out a little more now there's a little wind up and a catch to it.

Third pass: made it so the monster leans in when it's traveling around him, thankfully the rig was set up correctly for this. Also increased the catch time, overall changes add a lot of weight to the animation.

This is also the two rotation variation, he has two attacks, a single spin and a double spin to mix things up.

Rotondo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: August 31, 2015, 08:07:22 AM »

Made it so you can use any object in the world as a makeshift weapon similar to beat 'em up games.

The background is now much more destructible over time.

I also discovered, through an accident, that the pathing function with only minor tweaks can create some cool looking stuff.

It's going to require a lot of tweaking to get right, but it certainly adds variety to the dungoen.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic