Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:44:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Forgettable Dungeon: Online Co-op Roguelike - Early Access Release!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: The Forgettable Dungeon: Online Co-op Roguelike - Early Access Release!  (Read 47448 times)
Rotondo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2013, 08:35:37 AM »

Shocked This looks incredible! Getting sort of a CubeWorld/Binding of Isaac feel and I love both games. Absolutely can not wait for a release of this Hand Any Key Keep up the awesome work!

Edit: I know this is entirely personal preference and I'm not saying you're doing anything wrong but I'd imagine real-time combat would suit it better. Then again, I haven't seen any turn based combat so I can't judge much of it, interested to see how you follow through with it Smiley

Thanks for the feedback!

The combat has actually changed from turn based to real time, this happened with the overall design change mentioned a few posts back.

I should probably update the original post.

You have really nailed the graphics design in this one!
Great that you develop editors as well.

Thanks, I feel like the in game editor was necessary with the amount of customization options available. This way every player can have their own custom character even with no knowledge of external image editors.

Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2013, 12:05:45 AM »

Thanks for the feedback!

The combat has actually changed from turn based to real time, this happened with the overall design change mentioned a few posts back.

I should probably update the original post.

Aaah, no problem, I only just started following and will continue to do so! Blink

Rotondo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2013, 07:59:47 AM »

Added a new bow item, can be charged, charged shot goes through enemies.

Also the new hitbox system is working well, it's much more satisfying to see enemies get hit where the sword is rather than all at once like before.

There's a few more gifs on my blog but I don't want to overload this page, http://www.odnotor.com/post/61209410999/new-bow-hitbox-system-doors-again

Things are progressing nicely, overall I feel like the new action style fits a lot better. Not to mention it was such a relief to finally ditch the old radial inventory system.

While the concept itself is not bad, fidgeting around trying to find that one item you need then dying due to inventory management was not fun.

Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2013, 12:28:14 AM »

The gifs make the game look real fun Beg release

Iso
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2013, 01:01:50 AM »

How did I miss this before, this looks awesome. What are you coding it in?

Rotondo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2013, 09:45:32 AM »

I'm using an old version of the torque game engine by garagegames, version 1.3 to be exact.

The engine itself is in C++ but it also has a built in scripting language.

vortex
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2013, 06:20:10 PM »

Torque. Oh, dear lord, have you gone mad? Just kidding.

I used Torque on a project for two years.

I'm using Unity now. Unity is the prettiest girl at the dance, and she wants to dance with everybody. Unity even laughs at my jokes-- oh, wait...the analogy is broken.

Torque. It's my Vietnam. I'm impressed, but you should really port to Unity.

3D Game Studio was better than Torque. Torque was buggy and obtuse in almost every iteration. I hate writing that because I know that so many people worked so hard on it. It makes me sad. Yes, I've been drinking. 

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2013, 01:08:17 PM »

I'm using an old version of the torque game engine by garagegames, version 1.3 to be exact.

So it's a Tribes 2 mod?

Rotondo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2013, 04:27:47 PM »

Been a while since I've posted an update on the game, I'm only just now recovering from a back injury that made it hard to sit or stand at my desk.

So yeah, fun times.

Anyway, I did a few cool things in the past few days.

Custom Character Selection GUI

Added more connectivity to the dungeon

Added fancy chairs to go with the tables

Just got started on a level transition GUI, basically you and your friends characters are going to run across the screen.

Finally I've decided to finish up the Rogue style/turn based version of the game since it's so close to done.

The zelda version will probably come back as a gamemode down the line or perhaps something different all together.

Rotondo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2013, 08:23:42 AM »

Character Editor:

This is basically a cut down version of the game that is just the character editor, wanted to release something to get some feedback on.

So far people seem to like it, some people already made a bunch of sprites over here.

Shortcuts/Controls:
B = Pencil
E = Eraser
G = Fill Can

R = Resize
S = Save

You can right click the color palette to choose your own colors.

Download:

Character Editor

Extra Characters

Rotondo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2013, 04:44:59 PM »

Got the transition GUI fully implemented.

Also started tidying up the menus a bit.

Rotondo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2013, 12:14:50 PM »

Not very exciting but helpful to people playing for the first time.

I just hope the controls don't confuse people.

Only a day away from the Indie Megabooth deadline but I think I'm going to make it.

Rotondo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2013, 10:09:06 AM »

Added a sign to the inn to inform new players.

Also added some castlevania-like items to the decor.

I am cutting this deadline a bit close D:

Edit: by deadline I mean the Indie Mega Booth deadline for submissions.

Rotondo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2013, 03:43:36 PM »

New adjustable camera,

AutumnPioneer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2013, 06:41:03 AM »

This is looking great. I really like the adjustable camera Smiley
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2013, 08:02:00 PM »

Cool, this reminds me of 3D Dot Game Heroes in terms of the graphics. Nice work. I've been wanting to make an online action rogue-like / rogue-like-like game myself for awhile. It's fun to think of things to add in!

Rotondo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2013, 07:46:21 PM »

Thanks for the comments!

3D dot game heroes definitely inspired a lot of this, I loved the overall look and customization of that game.

Anyway, so I was messing around with lighting all tonight, basically trying to get a more unique look to things.

First I experimented with grid locked lighting... which gave me a headache.

After trying out 3 or so different lighting algorithms I kept wondering why my lights looked so washed out.

Only then did I realize I was adding all my light sources together instead of just choosing the brightest value.

While somewhat unrealistic it looks really cool.

( Each pot/table is a light source )

Overall I'm pretty content with how this looks, now I just need to add some more fitting torch sprites and we're good to go.

infinitarium
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2013, 08:31:06 PM »

I'm at a point in development where I may be ruining myself. I've decided to switch the overall gameplay style from rogue/psuedo-turnbased style to a more zelda/action style.

There's many reasons for this, but mainly I just felt like this was the direction the game was heading. In the past I've wanted to add many real time zelda elements but was held back trying to preserve the feel of rogue. Beyond that the complexity of the controls has been toned down a lot, going from a radial inventory to a one item at a time style, similar to spelunky or BoI.

Sounds a lot more fun anyway. Never hesitate to rethink everything.

Finally with the new style of gameplay, I rewrote the dungeon generator.

It flows like this, red->green->blue->yellow---->white

RGBY = normal rooms.
White = boss room.
Purple = special/hidden rooms.

Darker rooms = origin points.

It also loads the individual dungeon pieces from bitmaps, so it's easy to add more variation.

I love this.

What are the little bright dots on some of the walls?
Rotondo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2013, 05:54:51 PM »

Sounds a lot more fun anyway. Never hesitate to rethink everything.

I love this.

What are the little bright dots on some of the walls?

I actually ended up going back to the original style since it was so close to completion, but the lessons I learned while working on the zelda style were invaluable.

I believe those are little torch textures on the walls, they were just there to break up the walls a bit.

Anyway I've been continuing my work on the dynamic lights, I added a nice effect when one is destroyed.

I also did some experimenting with colored lights but I need to work on the blending/fading a bit more.

Rotondo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2013, 05:48:49 PM »

Got this running on linux.

There's a couple issues with rendering and writing of certain files but overall it works pretty well.

Honestly right now I'm having trouble finding where the files I'm writing are ending up. I export a sprite from the in game editor, it shows up in the in game character selector but in the actual folder it is no where to be found.

Is there some type of write permission or hidden user folder I don't know about in linux? I'm still really green when it comes to linux so any help is appreciated.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic