I'm at a point in development where I may be ruining myself. I've decided to switch the overall gameplay style from rogue/psuedo-turnbased style to a more zelda/action style.
There's many reasons for this, but mainly I just felt like this was the direction the game was heading. In the past I've wanted to add many real time zelda elements but was held back trying to preserve the feel of rogue. Beyond that the complexity of the controls has been toned down a lot, going from a radial inventory to a one item at a time style, similar to spelunky or BoI.
Anyway enough words I have some gifs to show off,
On the left we have the new boomerang item, works much like the zelda version, was quite fun to make the physics for.
On the right we have the new screen transition effect, probably going to have to speed this up eventually.
I've also begun work on a moving spike trap, still has some rough edges.
Finally with the new style of gameplay, I rewrote the dungeon generator.
It flows like this, red->green->blue->yellow---->white
RGBY = normal rooms.
White = boss room.
Purple = special/hidden rooms.
Darker rooms = origin points.
It also loads the individual dungeon pieces from bitmaps, so it's easy to add more variation.
Overall this style of dungeon generator while being much simpler in some ways allows for much more interesting layouts. Plus with the flow already worked out I can add interesting things like required items and keys for puzzles.
One final thing to add before I go, I finally got around to redoing my website, http://www.odnotor.com
While this isn't directly related to game development I spent all day yesterday getting it to work so I have to share it with somebody.
Alright I think that's enough for now, that turned into quite a large post. In the future I'll try to post more smaller updates.