Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:36:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralLet's see what proportion of Tiggers have put out a game.
Poll
Question: How many FINISHED games have you contributed 24 or more hours of work to?
20 or more
10 or more
5 or more
3 or more

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Let's see what proportion of Tiggers have put out a game.  (Read 3800 times)
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« on: May 19, 2013, 01:33:42 PM »

also, a more important thing to me is, i want to discuss game design with people who *actually make games*, not people who are armchair game designers.

Not trying to be argumentative, but I honestly wonder what percentage of each (TIG design readers, redditors) have actually made at least one game.  This may be completely unfair to one side [and if so, I apologize in advance!] but I'd always seen both populations as pretty equivalent, honestly.  I mean, they're both internet forums with no requirement for entry, populated by people who are really interested in, and want to talk about a particular subject.  There's no real reason to go to either unless you make games, or want to.
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 01:42:13 PM »

It's a nice statistic to keep track of (as in the productivity of the community), but not really a good measure of one person's merit in game design discussions.
Blambo
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 02:09:43 PM »

Not me.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 02:23:05 PM »

5 or more mostly mobile game before ios craze

joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 02:24:04 PM »

zeeeroo, so i try not to post much

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 02:27:48 PM »

Let's see...

There's this: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=8226.0

and 3 crappy ASCII games i made in my early teens.

there are also these but idk if I'd count them as "finished" and I can't remember how much time I spent on them.
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=13519.0
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=9651.0
VDZ
Level 4

My post is there read that instead ->

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 02:42:09 PM »

How do you count '24 hours'? How active do you need to be during those 24 hours? Do things like Ludum Dare games count if you've spent all weekend working on it? I know I only got 7 hours of sleep total at the last Global Game Jam, so the total time spent should be a bit above 24 hours.

Also, the thread title says 'put out a game', but the poll just says 'finished'; what about games that were finished, but never released? Do they count?
aberrantmind
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 03:41:19 PM »

0 on my end, but learning pretty quick so I expect that to change over the next year. I've finished writing tabletop games though!

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 03:44:35 PM »

Do things like Ludum Dare games count if you've spent all weekend working on it?

Yeah. The idea was just to cull super-simple games that took only a couple hours to cobble together.

what about games that were finished, but never released? Do they count?

Yep. But that time you spent dicking around in Game Maker when you made a few contrived things that aren't even close to a finished game doesn't.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 04:17:55 PM »

If you count the games on my site, 11 ..

If you count other games which I finished then "Disowned" .. 15 or so.

(Yes I disown games which I no longer like)
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 05:17:15 PM »

I can foresee these stats being slightly wrong since people who HAVE made games are more attracted to voting in this poll, people with zero games are less likely to admit it where they don't have to.

I would also like to see this same question asked about games that have a certain standard of weight for example;

-games released commercially  (not just free web games)
-games with x number of players  (games played by more than just immediate friends and family)
-games that have passed vetting from greenlight, apple app store etc.
-games that have won awards or been reviewed

Not to say that there is less value in free/small games/prototypes, but the stats go bad when someone with 20 flash prototypes is up next to someone who has shipped 20 braids, meatboys, limbos etc.
For the numbers to make sense, we have to all be talking about the same quantifiable thing (as much as possible)

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 05:28:59 PM »

If you're going to go all developer e-penis with it, it's just going to turn into a slugfest.  >_>
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 06:04:33 PM »

Zero. And because of how big of a failure I am, it will probably stay that way.
VDZ
Level 4

My post is there read that instead ->

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 06:29:29 PM »

Do things like Ludum Dare games count if you've spent all weekend working on it?

Yeah. The idea was just to cull super-simple games that took only a couple hours to cobble together.

what about games that were finished, but never released? Do they count?

Yep. But that time you spent dicking around in Game Maker when you made a few contrived things that aren't even close to a finished game doesn't.

Hm. In that case, I wonder why there are so many people with 0 games. It takes only a single weekend to get that count to 1. Just join a single Ludum Dare or similar and you're set.

My total seems to come down to 13 (if I'm not forgetting something), though 11 of them are from game jams and 1 is a school project. The single big finished project easily has more time put into it than all of the other ones put together. And it still isn't released. Dammit.
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 09:19:11 PM »

For some arbitrary definition of "finished", I'll go with 4. If you're stuck at zero, I'd suggest participating in some form of game jam, competition, etc. That was the only way I was ever able to get something done.

Haven't made a cent from any of them (all freeware), but I'm still proud.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2013, 09:49:31 PM »

I hope increpare doesn't drop by..

TheLastBanana
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2013, 10:35:08 PM »

I said "3 or more," though it's kind of hard to determine how many I've finished. There are a few from years ago that I wouldn't call particularly polished, but were definitely complete and playable. There's also a project I helped with, but I was just making content for it. Still, I think the total would come down to at least 4 if you were to be really stringent about the definition of a "finished game."
heisenbergman
Level 2

LoGaP

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2013, 10:42:57 PM »

Another potentially interesting poll would be - "In what game genre do you usually make your game?"

I'm guessing platformer would win, but still interested to see the results.
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2013, 11:11:20 PM »

Maybe an annual census quiz should be organized? I think it would make for an interesting statistical read, not just for TIGgers. It could incorprate questions on game genres, development habits and time management among other things.

I answered "3 or more". I have made:

Princess And The Banjo
Slide Them Boxes
Text-based Multiplayer Shooter

plus a bunch of AGI / SCI adventure games in my teens which I don't consider too noteworthy but are still finished games. I made around 8 of these.

alts
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2013, 11:44:02 PM »

I'm close to moving into the 10+ category, but that doesn't say much about the quality of game. Those first few were pretty bad. I've made 6 games on my own (with another one to be released shortly), and 3 games I've worked on professionally.

Generally I think that the number of games released is a poor metric for one's "qualifications" as a game developer. The only thing it does show is an ability to finish a project, and that's non-trivial.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic