Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411476 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 03:05:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralLet's see what proportion of Tiggers have put out a game.
Poll
Question: How many FINISHED games have you contributed 24 or more hours of work to?
20 or more
10 or more
5 or more
3 or more

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Let's see what proportion of Tiggers have put out a game.  (Read 3799 times)
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2013, 12:20:46 AM »

Haven't made a cent from any of them (all freeware), but I'm still proud.

I, too, am penniless.

I'm sorry

I'd be sorrier if it wasn't true

Generally I think that the number of games released is a poor metric for one's "qualifications" as a game developer. The only thing it does show is an ability to finish a project, and that's non-trivial.

I know it's not the perfect metric, but I also know that I'm much more inclined to trust the game design ideas of someone who's actually made finished games than someone who hasn't.

Maybe an annual census quiz should be organized? I think it would make for an interesting statistical read, not just for TIGgers. It could incorprate questions on game genres, development habits and time management among other things.

I'd actually really love to see someone more not lazy than me make a survey like that. Anyone?
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2013, 12:49:37 AM »

One of which is still unreleased due to a multitude of bugs I gave up on resolving Roll Eyes

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2013, 01:32:37 AM »

Once I get the eye of a really stupid VC I'll be making some moves...
VDZ
Level 4

My post is there read that instead ->

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2013, 03:11:11 AM »

I hope increpare doesn't drop by..
Don't worry, the poll options only go up to 20.

Another potentially interesting poll would be - "In what game genre do you usually make your game?"

I'm guessing platformer would win, but still interested to see the results.
For me, it's:
RPG - 3 (one being RPG/Puzzle)
Building/crafting game - 2
Puzzle - 1
Action - 1 (game doesn't fit in any other categories as far as I can tell)
Tower Defense-ish - 1
Simulation - 1
Text adventure - 1
Music game - 1
Roguelike/MMO - 1
I have no fucking clue what genre this is - 1

Only the Tower Defense-ish game has platforming movement. No actual platformers.
The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2013, 05:03:37 AM »

how "finished" is a jam game?
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2013, 05:06:57 AM »

Accurate depiction:

http://makegames.tumblr.com/post/1136623767/finishing-a-game
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2013, 06:17:12 AM »

3 or more by technicality, thought I'm in all other respects much less of a game developer than lots of people with 0 finished games :|

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2013, 06:26:21 AM »

Haven't made a cent from any of them (all freeware), but I'm still proud.

I, too, am penniless.

I'm sorry

I'd be sorrier if it wasn't true

Generally I think that the number of games released is a poor metric for one's "qualifications" as a game developer. The only thing it does show is an ability to finish a project, and that's non-trivial.

I know it's not the perfect metric, but I also know that I'm much more inclined to trust the game design ideas of someone who's actually made finished games than someone who hasn't.

Maybe an annual census quiz should be organized? I think it would make for an interesting statistical read, not just for TIGgers. It could incorprate questions on game genres, development habits and time management among other things.

I'd actually really love to see someone more not lazy than me make a survey like that. Anyone?
I might actually do this, wondering if anyone would vote in the survey tho

HernanZh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2013, 06:32:29 AM »

At least 5 games, more if you count older games I never published because they're so old and embarassing.

heisenbergman
Level 2

LoGaP

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2013, 06:57:52 AM »

Another potentially interesting poll would be - "In what game genre do you usually make your game?"

I'm guessing platformer would win, but still interested to see the results.
For me, it's:
RPG - 3 (one being RPG/Puzzle)
Building/crafting game - 2
Puzzle - 1
Action - 1 (game doesn't fit in any other categories as far as I can tell)
Tower Defense-ish - 1
Simulation - 1
Text adventure - 1
Music game - 1
Roguelike/MMO - 1
I have no fucking clue what genre this is - 1

Only the Tower Defense-ish game has platforming movement. No actual platformers.
It's just that I see so many platform games on the devlogs forum, which is why I thought that Grin
Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2013, 07:03:51 AM »

I've finished six games and worked 24+ hours on all of them, at least if you ignore all the joke games I've made. Not very impressive since I've been making games for like 7 years. Only one of them I worked on for more than 3 weeks. Concerned

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2013, 07:29:45 AM »

There are pros and cons to writing your own engine. But ask yourself, do you really have to? Is what you want to do impossible to do with what’s already out there or would you be reinventing the wheel? Of course, if you write your own engine you can make it just perfect the way you like it. But be honest, how often do you ever get past the engine to the game itself? Do you find yourself making game engines more often than you do games?

I contest that. Writing the wheel is honestly my favorite part of programming. I often do it for the sake of doing it rather than actually using it. But then, surely enough, I eventually get to a point where I do want to make something that uses it, and I have this shiny wheel that I know inside and out and exactly how to expand or modify, which I like much better than one of those factory-stocked wheels that doesn't have any comments and the documentation is shit.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2013, 07:31:24 AM »

You have to realize the target audience for that is people who have never finished a game .. so making an entire engine from scratch may not be such a great idea.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2013, 09:13:51 AM »

even though i got banned for the explicit reason of not making a game, i am not one of the people who answered 0. it is shocking, to this commentator, that there are so many people with a less legitimate opinion than my own, judged on the paul eres metric.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2013, 10:47:46 AM »

As far as I can tell, there are two solutions here ..

1. Make a game.
2. Write about game design in a way that doesn't involve snarky forum posts.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2013, 10:50:21 AM »

The Final Solution to the Tigsource Problem
s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2013, 11:02:50 AM »

I have done a few game jams that took 24+, nothing good though.
My plan is basically to just throw games at the wall until they stop sucking

Think happy thoughts.
Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2013, 11:21:56 AM »

I've finished two, one of which will be released in a couple of weeks time. Also I'm literally in the middle of working on a third, because I'm a fucking badass  Cool

Life sucks and then you die.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2013, 01:06:15 PM »

I put down 10 or more, but I realized the number is actually just over 20 (actually fairly well over 20 if you count all the games I've made that I don't actually like to show off anymore.  Also there would be a few more if you took away the >24 hours restriction)

Anyway, as far as genre

12 - Top-Down Action Adventure (two of these are serialized into 4 and 5 episode series)
~4 - SHMUP (depending on what games I count)
2 - Top-Down Run 'n' Gun (or three if I count a game I made in elementary school)
2 - Platformers
2 - First Person Adventures
1 - Rail Shooter
1 - Turn Based Game
1 - Ninja Art Game

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2013, 01:49:46 PM »

I'm terrible at assigning genres to me games (and most of them don't fit neatly into any particular one anyway), but two of the four games I counted as "finished" earlier could be called platformers. There's also an action/adventure game, and one that's impossible to categorize.

If I loosen my definition of "finished" a little bit, here's the full breakdown:

Platformer: 4
Puzzle: 3
Action/Adventure: 1
FPS: 1
Uncategorizable: 2

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic