Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:25:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralLet's see what proportion of Tiggers have put out a game.
Poll
Question: How many FINISHED games have you contributed 24 or more hours of work to?
20 or more
10 or more
5 or more
3 or more

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Let's see what proportion of Tiggers have put out a game.  (Read 3787 times)
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2013, 04:48:45 PM »

I put down 10 or more, but I realized the number is actually just over 20 (actually fairly well over 20 if you count all the games I've made that I don't actually like to show off anymore.  Also there would be a few more if you took away the >24 hours restriction)
I'd have at least 50+ games if you'd take away all restrictions

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2013, 01:42:48 AM »

started but never released or finished yet:
-ergintandal (started 1997, intend to finish it one day)
-ziggurats for red turtle (started 2002, intend to finish it one day
-an invitation to neverwhere (finished, waiting for orchard-l to release it)
-alterpoint (started 2005, intend to finish it one day)
-new detail (started 2007, intend to finish it one day)
-saturated dreamers (started 2007, 95% done, will be released this year)

released but in a partially unfinished state:
-The Dungeon of the Sword (1995)
-Munchers (1995)
-Second Seeker (1996)
-Your Kingdoms (1996)
-Wingedmene (1999)
-Rulers of the 7 Wonders (2001)
-Tilde and the Mask of :P (2001)

released and finished; these are full games from title screen to ending credits:
-And& (2000)
-Harlock and Rinku's Game which Includes the Game Bill's "Never Go West" (2001)
-Knight of the Ages (2003)
-Alphasix (2006)
-Immortal Defense (2007)
-Fedora Spade series (four games, 2007-2008)
-an unnamed valentine's day game for increpare's contest (2009)

not sure what that comes down to but i voted for the 10+ one, even though arguably it's slightly less than 10 if you don't count the ones that were released but in an unfinished state

in any case, to clarity my original statement quoted in the first post, i did not mean that people can't have good opinions unless they've *finished* games, what i meant was that working on games gives people knowledge that they can't come by by just playing them, and it's usually more useful to talk to people who have worked on games rather than people who have not if you want to learn how to make games. it's not a good idea to learn how to make games from people who have never worked on a game

also the distinction between having finished a game vs merely worked on one isn't all that important; both type of people have vastly more knowledge about game development than someone who has never worked on a game. having worked at and failed to do something is still a lot better than never having attempted it when it comes to knowledge of how to do it

D-TurboKiller
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2013, 01:52:07 AM »

I'm going to have to say 0 on this one. But hoo boy, do I have a lot of unfinished ones, and with good reason (hint: they sucked).

Apart from this one little joke game on RPG Maker, I never actually finished anything, either because the concept isn't good enough or I'm not confident with it, or my programming skills aren't up to par (I've been learning a lot recently, thankfully), or because I can't draw for shit and worry too much about art (though now I'm on "just get it done even if it's ugly as sin" mode, but working with someone who knows how to draw would be a tremendous help).

Also, every single one of those projects were in Game Maker, but I got incredibly sick of it and finally ditched it. Time to learn some REAL programming!

Eh, I should stop being so ambitious and start small. Really small.

Christoffer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2013, 01:59:40 AM »

Interesting poll. I answered 3 or more but then I realized it's actually 5 or more counting Pid (which I worked on at my dayjob) and a student project.

I just realized i forgot two of my older games as well. So it's really like 7/8 or something.

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2013, 12:34:56 PM »

I'm going to have to say 0 on this one. But hoo boy, do I have a lot of unfinished ones, and with good reason (hint: they sucked).

You might be surprised. It's easy to judge your own work as terrible (and useful; being your own harshest critic pushes you to do better), but other people may see it differently. I've run into several developers who showed me a game I genuinely liked, but they hated it and thought it was terrible. Please share your games with us - even if you don't like them, we probably will, and can give you feedback that will help them be even better.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2013, 12:46:01 PM »

I've run into several developers who showed me a game I genuinely liked, but they hated it and thought it was terrible.
this has been my experience with literally every single game ive ever released
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2013, 02:08:59 PM »

yeah that's pretty common. i don't rely on myself at all when it comes to judging how good a game is, cause of all the biases involved. i judge it solely by the reactions of playtesters

aberrantmind
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2013, 02:39:35 PM »

this thread has got me hyped up to start working on something already. aiming to finish a small game on game maker in a couple months. hopefully I'll have a prototype of the core game play finished in a week and I'll be on my way to going from a 0 to a 1.

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2013, 11:48:33 PM »

I don't know. Does it count if you delete the game a few weeks after finishing?

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
thunderhead.hierophant
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2013, 10:41:08 AM »

I have finished exactly one game, which, since I am a noob and it was my first program that wasn't "Hello World" or "What is the area of this rectangle?," took me longer than 24 hours.

It was a 600-odd line 3d6 dice gambling game that plays at the console.  I think it's fun, and I can win consistently.  The only person I shared it with was my programming quasi-mentor who said my code was readable but that he couldn't figure out how to win.

Anyway, I'm hoping to get some serious work done this summer, I've got an android dev book in the mail and a few games up my sleeve but I'm not sure if I want to go small and manageable or stupid ambitious off the blocks.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic