Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:11:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs"War Party" (now with damn PLAYABLE DEMO)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: "War Party" (now with damn PLAYABLE DEMO)  (Read 5697 times)
harry)))
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 23, 2013, 03:09:04 AM »

play a rugged-ass demo here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11806970/horse_bow_spear/HSB3_pc.html

Or get an .exe here
http://www.indiedb.com/games/war-party/downloads/combatpuzzle-demonstration-for-war-party

I started this game just under a week ago and here's where I am with it. All the content and script is my own work, and the SDK being used is MMF 2.

will put it out for pc/droid/ios.

In a single sentence, I would call it "turn based tetris in a mount & blade costume." This might sound almost derogatory. It's not the best game ever, just a personal goal.

I don't know if the name's taken. I found some totally unrelated board game, i think it should be ok. Someone let me know if there's something I overlooked.

Anyway, it's a puzzle/strategy game with a simple branching meta-campaign composed of randomised encounters.

It is a turn based, abstracted war game. The armies are comprised of three unit types: horse, spear, and bow. Each turn, you move all your men forward one space (if they are able) and the enemy then moves theirs forward one. This is called an "advance" rather than a "move."
Soldiers of opposing sides advance until they meet, at which point they have a simple "scissors, paper, rock" style battle. Spear beats horse, horse beats bow, bow beats spear.
If they win, they eradicate the enemy and move into the space left behind by him.
If two units of the same type meet, they are locked in a stalemate.
To break a stalemate you need to switch the "stuck" unit out to the side with another friendly unit.

Which is an important point: each turn, you get two "moves." (not "advances".) That is, two chances to shift units to the left or right. They can swap with a friendly, or move into an empty space. They cannot swap positions with an enemy, attack sideways, or sidestep off the game board.

You win the game by either depleting the enemy forces or destroying each "column" of their fortifications in their rear.

There are also powerups. There is "rally" which gives you 4 moves instead of 2 for the turn in which you used the powerup - "charge" which gives you two consecutive advances (without the option to take moves in-between) "catapult" which allows you to, after one turn, eradicate four adjacent selected spaces with a bombardment and "spies" which will warn you when the enemy is about to charge or use a catapult.

The enemies only rearrange their ranks in a minority of cases (for example, when moving into a blank space would break a stalemate, or put them in line with one of your wall segments to destroy it)
Yes, the game isn't totally symmetrical. I want it to play something between a puzzle and a strategy game. If the enemy reorganised itself too much, strategies that run multiple turns would be nullified by what is essentially an RNG.

This is how the game board looks.

The metagame:

When not involved in battles, the player can advance over an endless worldmap made of many tiling terrain cards which shuffle. I then place randomised settlements on the map. The player can approach each one, and is then confronted by a simple "A or B" choice. Usually this will be a choice in favour of "glory" (the points of the game) or "money/units/powerups" which are more of an investment to gain glory from fights later (or to keep yourself from being slaughtered)

If the player loses all their men in a fight, they start again in a new "world" and their high score is recorded. It's intended as a bus trip or coffee break game.

FAQ:
Can you move units backwards or forwards?
No. The implications of not being able to move units back and forth are that stalemates can be "insta-broken" whenever they are encountered. Right now, if you advance in a spearhead through enemy lines, chances are you will get surrounded, stalemated, and it will be impossible to advance that file of men until you bring up the rest of the line.
Special units?
Possibly. For now I want the game to be fully functional with just the basic play style though. Less for me to mess up.
Multiplayer?
Probably not. I'm not a programmer, i'm just doing my best.

I hope you like my work so far. Feedback would be good!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 04:03:22 AM by harry))) » Logged

harry)))
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 06:44:22 AM »

past few days i've added a few things:
Enemy has very simple AI for certain cases. If it gets locked in a stalemate situation and there's an empty space next to it, it will shift. Also, if a spearhead makes it through your line they will fan out to do the most possible damage to your encampment.

The victory conditions have been looked at. At the moment, when soldiers are wounded, you restore 2 of them for each remaining "encampment" unit of yours. Basically if the enemy gets into your rear echelon and wrecks things, your surgeons arent as efficient at saving wounded guys and you lose them for good.

I made a quick swap-out of some "parts" in one of my "character models" - which is like a ghetto style approach to the part-based 2d sprite animation programs just using layers in photoshop. It makes it pretty easy to pump out animated variants of sprites which is cool, maybe about 20 minutes and i can have a new lookin' guy with a set of animations.

Apart from that i've worked on some interface stuff and general beautification, as well as some more terrain tiles so the randomised appearance is a little more natural.
I also removed the dithering from the atmospheric haze overlay because it made things look grainy under it.

The little white flecks are birds which fly aimlessly overhead while you wander northward.

My dialog system for the map-wandering seems to be working. Every so often i get a strange bug or something but when i make the change i never know exactly which conditions it happened under.

So i need expressions of interest for anyone who would like to test this.

edit: oh, and i've been experimenting with a high visibility/board game counter view mode. I got comments that some of the units were hard to recognise espescially on a small screen. I'll make it so you hit a key and you can toggle their appearance to this:
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 06:49:34 AM by harry))) » Logged

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 08:04:48 AM »

Looks lovely (I especially like the ornate UI) and the gameplay sounds like it has a lot of potential. As casual games go, this is just my bag.

OnionBlaze
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 08:17:49 AM »

Really nice pixels you got there! Is there a build somewhere? I'd love to playtest the hell out of this.  Kiss

harry)))
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 08:33:27 AM »

I can throw up a build that showcases the "battle" (ie puzzle) component tomorrow if people are interested. As it stands the campaign isn't tied into the combat enough to warrant putting that up.

harry)))
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 12:06:29 PM »

oh hey in the mean time i finally figured out how to create gameplay GIFs

showing the overland map

showing one turn of battle (the horsemen's graphics are changing in ways they shouldnt atm cause im halfway through adding some new animations.)

harry)))
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 07:16:00 PM »

a basic-ass example of the catapult powerup. Currently just removing enemies rather than "killing" them properly, and the targeting graphic looks shitty.

poe
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 08:54:36 PM »

This game looks cool!
ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 10:13:07 PM »

Looks fantastic. Something you should add: when you march around with your army, you need a tross. No army can survive without that.

Do you use LiceCAP for the gifs? There's a little options to make the mouse clicks stand out, I find that quite useful.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 10:15:00 PM »

This looks really interesting Smiley

thekill473
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 10:41:48 PM »

Graphics look amazing.
Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 11:33:21 PM »

Lovin' the polished look and simple but interesting gameplay  Gentleman

harry)))
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 01:44:51 AM »

Looks fantastic. Something you should add: when you march around with your army, you need a tross. No army can survive without that.

Do you use LiceCAP for the gifs? There's a little options to make the mouse clicks stand out, I find that quite useful.

The camp followers are your "base" at the bottom.
At the end of a match, some casualties are revived by "surgeons" which are part of those baggage units. so, winning a seige isnt that hard, but if you dont defend your camp any losses you take will be permanent. (though, its a ratio. you regain 2x of your wounded for each baggage unit remaining)

and yes, i used licecap and it's awesome. ill look at the settings for the next vid.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 01:55:30 AM »

graphics look excellent!
harry)))
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 09:38:24 AM »

for those interested, you can try out the absolute basics of the "combat" system (puzzle) here.

Some features are still WIP. The powerups mostly work but need polish and some debugging.

The basic move-units-advance-move-units gameplay works fine, and as far as i can see the text at the end of a game is accurate for scoring. Score without the overland map is meaningless so i left out any figures for now.

This should give people an idea how the actual "game" part plays. If anyone has any questions just shoot them my way.

I apologise in advance for any roughness.

ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 09:56:38 AM »

for those interested, you can try out the absolute basics of the "combat" system (puzzle) here.

Some features are still WIP. The powerups mostly work but need polish and some debugging.

The basic move-units-advance-move-units gameplay works fine, and as far as i can see the text at the end of a game is accurate for scoring. Score without the overland map is meaningless so i left out any figures for now.

After a few moves and clicks the green 2x2 didn't go away. What's that anyways?

As it is still WIP you might want to add a log window. Oh, and shift does something. How's that gonna work on mobile?

One unrealistic bit: The unit is consumed when it reaches and destroys the opponent.

Do you collect any data from the players? I've used GameAnalytics in my last game and the results are quite interesting for future decisions.

ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 10:01:30 AM »

oh right, the bomb. placing it required me to hold down the mouse long enough. is that code maybe in the loop instead of being a event listener? and for exploding it, if you swap the command widget for a "bomb" "cancel" that would be easier to understand.

ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2013, 10:03:37 AM »

And then this half-step happened  WTF

harry)))
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2013, 10:04:44 AM »

After a few moves and clicks the green 2x2 didn't go away. What's that anyways?
Some features are still WIP.
That's going to be a catapult powerup. Right now you can drag it around and tapping/clicking it confirms the attack. It's half-implemented and I don't recommend using it for any purpose other than The Luls.

As it is still WIP you might want to add a log window. Oh, and shift does something. How's that gonna work on mobile?
Shift is a test key for a "high-vis" mode i'm working on. On small phone screens i had some people saying it was hard to tell units apart. The high vis mode basically swaps their graphics out for gameboard style counters. This would be either for visibility or just personal preference. Some people like the game board aesthetic anyway. In later versions it will be handled by a toggle-able button on the hud. The shift key is gonna act like a hotkey for it just on the windows version.

One unrealistic bit: The unit is consumed when it reaches and destroys the opponent.
Which? this doesn't happen afaik. It can reach and BE destroyed by the opponent though.

Do you collect any data from the players? I've used GameAnalytics in my last game and the results are quite interesting for future decisions.
No, i dont intend to do any data collecting. But i've run simple AI against "dumb" players confirming every move about 600 games overnight so i could guage the difficulty of it. I'm happy enough with the results.

harry)))
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2013, 10:05:56 AM »

And then this half-step happened  WTF

srsly? i've personally not encountered that one Sad do you have any info on the circumstances in which it happened?

I guess you might have a talent for finding weird shit. I should remember your name.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic