Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 12:12:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Music (12 Tracks (IWBTG and MondoMedicals NEW))
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Music (12 Tracks (IWBTG and MondoMedicals NEW))  (Read 118875 times)
soundofjw
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: October 21, 2008, 03:09:04 PM »

If you have a track you'd like uploaded, PM ME to do so. Please do this whenever you update a track. This is important so I know to update what we've got in the end.

Also, make sure your tracks are loopable, meaning that reverb trails from the end come back to the beginning. That's important.

Current Music
Download

Cross Overdrive: [Original] (Menu)
Flashygoodness

Cross Normalize: [Original] (Menu)
Flashygoodness

Iji Medley: HyperDuck

Knytt Brawl: [Nifflas - 'peaceful cave with ninjas']
Carvsound - Knytt Brawl

Bonesaw: [Josh Whelchel - '¡viva la bonesaw!' and 'get puck in here']
Josh Whelchel - Bonesaw Brawl

Noitu Love 2: [Joakim Sandberg - 'Darn Foe 2' and 'Petals']
Josh Whelchel - Paradox Symphony

Aquaria: [Alec Holowka - 'Open Waters']
Josh Whelchel - In Aquarium ex Morte

Rescue the Beagles: [Disasterpiece]
Chris Geehan

An Untitled Story [Matt Thorson]
Superaj127

World of Goo: [Kyle Gabler - 'Best of Times']
Josh Whelchel: Goo Revolt (feat. Amanda Appiarius)

Lyle in Cube Sector [Axel Ovekrans - 'Moskito']
Lamppost

Mondo Medicals
Javet

I Wanna be the Guy
Javet

Misc. [MEDLEY] (maybe best for credits or trailer or something like that, but could/should work in a level)
Josh Whelchel
- feat. Knytt Stories (Nurykabe) / World of Goo (Best of Times / Red Carpet Extendomatic) (Kyle Gabler) / (Aquaria - Alec Holowka) / (Eternal Daughter - David Saulesco) / Rescue the Beagles (Disasterpiece) / The Spirit Engine 2 (Confrontation at the Shrine - Josh Whelchel) / Bonesaw (Theme: Josh Whelchel)

formatting:
(IB Stage): [(Original Artist) - (Original Title)]
(Visiting Artist) - (Remix Name)

-------------

All of the music for the project will be aggregated here:
Download

PRIVATE MESSAGE ME (soundofjw) TO HAVE A TRACK UPLOADED.

Files will be formatted:
(artist)-(stage)-D(draft#).mp3

E.G.
joshw-bonesaw-D1.mp3

(Final music format will likely not be MP3, this is just for preview purposes)
Please keep as many versions of your music as you make, so the progression can be referenced.

As for ID3 tags, they don't matter, but my personal preference is
Title: Title (Original Artist - Game Name) (D(draft#))
Artist: Name
Album: Indie Brawl

so...
Title: Paradox Symphony (Joakim Sandberg - Noitu Love 2) (D1)
Artist: Josh Whelchel
Album: Indie Brawl

-------------

The following stages still need music. Generally, a remix from the original game would be best, but in cases where that wouldn't work very well, an original song, or an appropriate remix from another game would also work. (annotations by Soulliard)

Samorost
Like Knytt Stories, Samorost has mellow, ambient music that may or may not be appropriate for a remix.

Asia (Clean Asia)
The game has distinctive music to be remixed. We would need permission from John Marwin, but that could probably be easily arranged.

Pathspace (Immortal Defense)
We have permission to remix its music. ID's music was pretty good, but an original piece or another fitting remix could work here as well.

Crayon Physics Stage
Like Knytt Stories and Samorost, its music is mellow and ambient, and may not work in a fighting game.

The Tower (Mighty Jill Off)
We have permission to remix its music, but MJO's music might be a bit too minimalistic.

Among the Leaves (Seiklus)
The music is from different sources, so we'd need different permissions depending on which song is remixed.

Heart of Chzo (Chzo Mythos)
Cabadath's theme seems like the obvious choice for this level.

-------------

Cool

So I was wondering today about the music for this project. I know we had some chit chat when I offered to contribute, but I think it should be more of a community effort on that end.

My initial ideas for this would be to be revisit the musical themes from the games in much like in Super Smash.

Anyway, to get this whole process started it's a good idea to start thinking about where we need music, what kind of music is needed, and the format.

I'm a supporter for OGG music, but modules are also possible. OGG may be the better choice here because it opens up doors for all of the musicians. I think anybody should be open to submitting music for stages that needs to be voted on and approved.

We obviously need music for each stage and various others - such as a fanfare, menu music, character selection, and so on.

What's the word, y'all?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 07:48:43 PM by Soulliard » Logged

hi
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 04:30:39 PM »

Whilst original tracks would suffice, I agree that a kind of revisitation could make the game feel more like its own product. Obviously, original musicians would need to be contacted for permission - heck, maybe they could even offer their own redux.

A large pool of contributors would also give the tracks their own distinct feel.

I'm surprised this thread didn't appear earlier! It's kind of needed.
shig
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 04:42:15 PM »

Since the only stage we have so far is the Outer Wall, I think you should focus on the music for it.

But this is not really the priority right now, so I don't think you'll get a lot of help from the community so soon.
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 05:25:22 PM »

With 3mb OGG/MP3 tracks for each of the 20 or so levels the filesize of the game would soon grow sky high.

Game Maker supports module music formats (*.mod, *.it) which are really small in comparison and can still make pretty

. Nifflas uses module music for his games. I opt for using modules.

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 07:14:06 PM »

Mod music works really well with GM. But OGG works, too.

I wouldn't worry about the music for the Outer Wall until we've gotten approval from Pixel.

Here are some songs that would almost certainly be used (we have permission, they're good songs, and they have good stage-potential):
Something from Aquaria (Boss Theme/Sun Temple/Something Else?)
Theme from Noitu Love 2
Cabadath's Theme (

)
Theme from Bonesaw
Something Original for the Menus

It's great to have you on board, by the way.

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 07:35:42 PM »

I might be able to do something for this, but we should definately agree on a format first.

Mod files are very small, but using .ogg really opens up the possibilities in terms of style and instrumentation.

I personally vote for .ogg, but I'm not the one to decide.
sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 08:06:26 PM »

While all songs being in the same format has benefits (and were this to be the case, ogg would probably be preferable) there is nothing to stop the game from using mods or any other format as well.

I think arrangements/remixes are a must, and a great idea.
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 08:08:33 PM »

I might be able to do something for this, but we should definately agree on a format first.

Mod files are very small, but using .ogg really opens up the possibilities in terms of style and instrumentation.

I personally vote for .ogg, but I'm not the one to decide.
There's really no reason that both cannot be used, other than neatness. Some people make their music in Fl Studio or Reason, which cannot be exported into module formats as far as I know, but there isn't any reason to restrict them from contributing their music. However, there are also composers that like using trackers to create module formats, which are almost always a lot smaller than OGG/MP3 files, and it wouldn't make much practical sense to convert them into a format that would bloat their filesize over tenfold while lowering their quality. I say, use both! It wouldn't hurt.

Awe, I've always been onboard! But in more of a critical holier-than-thou way until now.

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 08:45:05 PM »

Awe, I've always been onboard! But in more of a critical holier-than-thou way until now.
[/quote]
I was referring to TwiTerror at the time. But I like the new Skofo as well.

soundofjw
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 07:09:27 AM »

I also think OGG would be the better way to go. I'm not too concerned with the filesize, honestly. Knytt and Knytt Stories both use streaming media, not modules, for clarification (but Nifflas' earlier games DO use modules).

I would advise against using both formats simply for the integrity of overall sound - it would be weird to go from chiphop module to some intense orchestral sound.

Anyway, I'm not too worried about the getting permission to revisit musical themes simply for the fact that we'll have contacted these people to use the stages already, so that should probably be tackled in the same agreement. Of course, though, get permission when you can and if someone says no respect that decision (stating the obvious here).

I think having the original artists revisit their themes would be cooler, but if we could somehow get a chain going where everyone revisits the themes of others I think it might be much cooler - but that relies on us getting enough musicians on the project, which I find highly unlikely.

Now the question is what Cave Story theme (or themes) should be used for the Outer Wall?

hi
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 07:21:18 AM »

Like I said previously, we don't yet have Pixel's permission, so I would not start working on any Cave Story music yet. It would be a shame if it turned out to be a waste of time.

Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 08:08:13 AM »

I'm also in favour of OGG. We can keep the file sizes pretty low, also, as the compression is slightly better than MP3. I'll have a play around with settings tonight, but I reckon we can encode at 64kb/s and perhaps use a 22KHz sample rate, or stick to Mono sound (Although I'd rather not do this, as it's limiting), and still get a good sound quality. I'll let you know what I come up with.

I already made a start on a track for the Outer Wall stage (I used Moonsong), by the way  Embarrassed. I was hoping I could get it done pretty quickly, and kickstart the whole music process, but I got sidetracked by other projects. Seeing as I've got the basics sketched out, I can just sit on it until we get permission (Speaking of which, Medieval, did the email you sent to Shih Tzu include a request for permission to remix the music?), and work on something else. But yes, music permission is something I brought up before.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 08:14:40 AM »

I can grant permission to use Aquaria music! (preferably remixes, just because remixes are awesome)

I can also offer my music writing services. Just let me know if there's a need for stuff and I'll get on it when I have the time.  Beer!

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 09:17:23 AM »

I can grant permission to use Aquaria music! (preferably remixes, just because remixes are awesome)

I can also offer my music writing services. Just let me know if there's a need for stuff and I'll get on it when I have the time.  Beer!
I was actually working on a Open Waters/Sun Temple arrangement  Beer!
(Maybe I can even take out the Open Waters theme if the Sun Temple is made into a map? Open waters is kind of the main theme though...  Undecided)
soundofjw
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 09:22:51 AM »

Sounds all good to me. Let's try for 44.1khz stereo, somewhere in 96kbps would be fine.

hi
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 10:58:32 AM »

I would like to say right now that ripping music from the games we're using would be incredibly lame. We've made all of the graphics original and similar to one-another. Why not apply a similar process to the music? It would seriously kill my enthusiasm if we just took the music instead of making our own.
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 11:45:28 AM »

I would like to say right now that ripping music from the games we're using would be incredibly lame. We've made all of the graphics original and similar to one-another. Why not apply a similar process to the music? It would seriously kill my enthusiasm if we just took the music instead of making our own.
Thats exactly what we are doing.

Completely new arrangements (NO ripped sounds) based on the music from the respective game.  Gentleman
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 12:10:27 PM »

I was actually working on a Open Waters/Sun Temple arrangement  Beer!
(Maybe I can even take out the Open Waters theme if the Sun Temple is made into a map? Open waters is kind of the main theme though...  Undecided)
An Open Waters/Sun Temple arrangement sounds great!

Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2008, 12:22:58 PM »

Sounds all good to me. Let's try for 44.1khz stereo, somewhere in 96kbps would be fine.
Just did some tests, and 44.1KHz 96kbps sounds pretty close to CD quality. 64kbps doesn't actually sound too bad either, though; certainly, ogg's quality at that bitrate is much better than MP3's. I'll see what I can get away with when I'm encoding.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2008, 01:20:37 PM »

Thats exactly what we are doing.

Completely new arrangements (NO ripped sounds) based on the music from the respective game.  Gentleman

Just making sure. Please excuse my paranoia.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic