Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:09:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Music (12 Tracks (IWBTG and MondoMedicals NEW))
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Music (12 Tracks (IWBTG and MondoMedicals NEW))  (Read 118181 times)
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2008, 04:33:29 PM »

I would advise against using both formats simply for the integrity of overall sound - it would be weird to go from chiphop module to some intense orchestral sound.
Someone apparently has never played Smash Bros (G&W/Final Destination). Since this game takes from many different games, it'd only make sense to use different styles of music that reflect upon those games.

Furthermore, modules aren't just chiptune, they can use any samples. Audacity and ModPlug Tracker can do everything FL Studio and LMMS can, including orchestrated music. In fact, modules could probably do a better job at making "some intense orchestral sound" than FL Studio and Reason since FL Studio and Reason have tools more suited for making techno and hip hop music.

What's with all this black and white thinking? We can use any number of musical formats, there is no need to restrict everything just to OGG or MP3. Implementing a system that can use both OGG sound files and IT module files would yield much less file space and more quality than converting just one module to OGG. Just because some of you don't mind a needlessly bloated filesize doesn't mean that everyone doesn't. Believe it or not, there are still some people that use dial-up and have small hard drives.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 02:35:48 AM by Skofo » Logged

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2008, 11:04:04 PM »

Well, I don't think G&W/Final Destination is a good example. The Game and Watch levels had a very particular old-school vibe about them. A sudden shift in music style would be OK for a lo-fi stage, but you'd have to think about it carefully, not just throw in oggs and chiptunes together at random.

BUT if it's true that modules can use samples to acquire the same quality of sound, then it shouldn't be problem.

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2008, 05:38:26 AM »

Man, people can do some really nice things with mods. I say open the entire thing up, see what comes through. Could work out nicely.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2008, 01:21:23 PM »

How's the music coming along? Anyone have anything to show yet?

soundofjw
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2008, 10:06:02 PM »

I've got a lot of score work for some applications going on right now, but I'm gonna start cracking on this stuff pretty hard over winter break. In the meantime, any resources people have to the source material (soundtracks) of the games we've got would be helpful.

hi
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2008, 08:49:01 AM »

If filesize is an issue why not make the OGG music optional and a separate download? Of course, I have no idea if something like this could be done in GM and there would have to be 2 versions of each music.
medieval
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2008, 10:54:53 AM »

Modules aren't limited to chiptune, right? Isn't there away to convert OGG to module?
soundofjw
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2008, 02:22:01 PM »

Hmm, it's my professional suggestion to avoid separating the music from the game and to use streaming music to keep the doors open. OGGs can not be converted to modules practicality (it would increase the size, because the streaming data would be uncompressed PCM). And no, modules are not limited to chiptunes.

And of course, we can support modules too, let's not shut doors here. (:

hi
soundofjw
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2008, 08:37:56 PM »

I started work on the Bonesaw-themed brawl music. I'll post a WIP shortly. It involved my guitar. Wink

hi
soundofjw
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2008, 10:15:51 PM »

Okay, I've uploaded the first tune, "Bonesaw Brawl" and changed the format of the head-post.

http://www.syntesis.org/bank/Indie%20Brawl/joshw-bonesaw-D1.mp3

It's definitely on the aggressive side, and right now it's just a draft (thus D1... I have a very crazy naming scheme - I keep lots of versions of everything). Some of the mixing needs to be fixed, and I should probably re-record some of the guitars (although I do sort of like the raw sound, we'll see how I feel about it after I listen to it forever and on different speakers besides my monitors and laptop speakers).

I just hammered this out today and now my fingers are screaming.

Anyway, feel free to rip me a new one.

hi
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2008, 10:20:17 PM »

That was fucking AWESOME  Angry
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2008, 10:40:01 PM »

That was fucking AWESOME  Angry

AGREEd.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2008, 11:27:59 PM »

Hell yeah!

I do think it might need to be toned down a bit or it might overwhelm everything else in the game. But apart from that, it's excellent!

shig
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2008, 05:55:03 AM »

You sounded kinda unsure on your post so I thought that this music would suck.

Boy, was I wrong.

The first time when the guitar kicks in is so awesome.
I love the contrast between the "raw sound" of the guitar and the old-school videogames sounds.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 06:07:45 AM by shig » Logged
medieval
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2008, 07:49:39 AM »

That was indeed VERY FUCKING AWESOME.
soundofjw
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2008, 01:00:30 PM »

Thanks everyone - I'm glad you like it. Seeing as I thought it was pretty ego-tastic of myself to do Bonesaw first, I've now had a go at Noitu Love 2. (:

http://www.syntesis.org/bank/Indie%20Brawl/joshw-noitulove2-D1.mp3

I call it "Paradox Symphony" if only for the reason that the music a paradox... I now think I know what Limp Bizkit, Hans Zimmer, and Joakim Sandberg sound like together... Grin

I call this genre Symphonic Hip-rock. (XD)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 01:20:04 PM by TwiTerror » Logged

hi
cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2008, 01:04:56 PM »

That's totally awesome!
This music is "The Shit."

___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2008, 01:56:42 PM »

God damn.
soundofjw
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2008, 09:20:07 PM »

I'll keep it going!
http://www.syntesis.org/bank/Indie%20Brawl/joshw-aquaria-D1.mp3

Aquaria style!

This was much harder to do, and I don't know how I feel about the opening section... or any of it. Again, please criticize it all (especially the awful guitar parts, my hands are hating me!) Oh, and incidentally the chord progression is similar the first half of the chord progression in "A Lost Dream" from TSE2. So anyone who can pick out the similarity there will win 15 silver coins.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 09:25:27 PM by TwiTerror » Logged

hi
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2008, 09:30:11 PM »

STOP.

I just shit my pants.

Okay go.  I can't really criticize these, as you know from your experience of working on Bonesaw all I can usually say is "uhh needs to be more intense."  The only thing in the Aquaria song is that I don't think the actual VERSE is in here anywhere?  (I could be wrong)  But yeah, work that in for more awesome!...
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 09:36:00 PM by xerus » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic