Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 02:14:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWitch Princess
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 48
Print
Author Topic: Witch Princess  (Read 132607 times)
Conker534
« on: May 29, 2013, 05:05:18 PM »

Witch Princess is a single-player RPG that was heavily inspired by mostly Harvest Moon, and maybe a tiny bit of Animal Crossing.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 08:31:19 AM by Conker » Logged
Conker534
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 07:50:28 PM »

I've been feeling TERRIBLE for the last few days, and I haven't been able to post anything I've gotten done, which isn't much either since I've had terrible headaches and stuff, but I wanted to at least post a little bit.

As I said above I'm planning the entire game out on paper, before I create it.
Thats going along smoothly, I'm going to edit the main post very soon with more details and information then it is right now.

I'm excited to share with you guys how its coming, and will get around to it when I feel better.

Until then.
Conker534
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 10:23:37 AM »

I'm going to post what I have planned to do today, instead of posting what I did tonight, since I may not be able to access TIGSource tonight, but if I can I'll show what I got done too.

I have a huge list of systems I have planned (Farm System, Combat System, Weather System, etc)
The core mechanics of this game are planned, to a degree.

I'd like to take the planning further, and really work out any conflicting systems I may have before I take this game to the next level.

Edit: Wanted to share a very very very very early concept of Aria, the school girl.

Its very VERY low concept, but shes planned to be the school girl of this game that the protagonist can marry. She is 16 in the beginning of the game.

I cannot stress enough how early that development is of her. I feel she will change drastically. But this is what I have right now. Shes very shy and will be one of the harder paths to marry.

When you marry certain girls, they have certain benefits.. For example one wife may help with the garden (Water tiles in a certain radius throughout the day), and each wife has a set kid you can have, which means later on in the game when the other men of the town get married those kids will be created too.

You also compete with the AI for winning the woman's heart. Each girl will like different gifts and hate different gifts, so you want to be careful with what you give someone.

Also GIF example of what I have of the farming engine so far
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 02:54:02 PM by Conker » Logged
Uykered
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 05:06:52 PM »

Cool, I look forward to seeing how this goes.
Conker534
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 06:02:13 PM »

Thanks!

I've created a simple farm! Right now they have 4 stages, and can only be planted in the plowed dirt.

HEHEHEHE.

Also, I've planned the entire world map, which is nicely sized and I added some really cool things.

I have a ton of secrets planned as well to give the game some "woah" moments, and I want to share them, but I won't. I'd rather let the players find them on their own!

Also, I've drawn a few sketches for the ghost girl I have planned. She lives in the forest.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 06:38:23 PM by Conker » Logged
Conker534
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 10:06:22 AM »

I'm so conflicted with adding combat or not.

As I push this game further, I keep leaning to removing the combat features of this game.

Edit:

Not certain, but I'm most likely now throwing out combat.

Also started the UI

I've been having a lot of fun creating this game. I'm really enjoying this project.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 12:30:22 PM by Conker » Logged
Conker534
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 04:22:02 PM »

I added a energy thing in the top left, eventually it'll have a fun set of facial expressions for the player but I just skribbled in some for the development part.

There are 4 stages of SP.

:D Happy SP where you're full of energy
Smiley Smile SP where you have a good amount still
Sad Sad SP where you are getting tired, you should eat food or rest
x_x Faint SP one more use and you're going to faint, you need to eat or rest.

It crashes because I destroy obj_player when it runs out of SP, but in the future you'll wake up in your house or at the inn.
YellowLime
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 04:28:01 PM »

If you decide to drop out combat, you could still have some pseudo-combat as a goofy minigame, like for example hitting moles with a hammer
Conker534
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 04:35:36 PM »

If you decide to drop out combat, you could still have some pseudo-combat as a goofy minigame, like for example hitting moles with a hammer

That sounds like a very fun idea, maybe they attack your farm every once in a while..

Hmm!
aberrantmind
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 04:39:17 PM »

look cool!

Conker534
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 05:02:27 PM »

Yep. Im holding that tomato.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 08:04:21 PM by Conker » Logged
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 11:14:36 PM »

I'm just here for the jokes about hoes.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Conker534
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 01:16:20 PM »

Started the inventory system, I'm going for a resident evil 4 type backpack.
Conker534
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 11:15:32 PM »

Sorry about the lack of updates, I took a little break and played around in C++ for a few days. I'm putting C++ learning aside until I finish this project at least. Smiley
Conker534
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2013, 02:12:51 PM »

Alright I'm going to be honest.

I don't know how to make an inventory. I dropped the resident evil 4  inventory idea because I wanted to go with something simpler, 8 inventory slot backpack.

Anyways, I don't understand what to do to make a decent inventory. I'm not a very good programmer, I guess I'm not even a programmer at all since I use GML, but I don't get it. I'm supposed to use an Array system, but I don't even know how to use that.

I'm going to read more online about it, but if anyone can post below tips or anything helpful i'd love that.

Sorry for the lack of updates. If I can't figure out the inventory by a few days I'm going to skip it for now and work on other parts of the game, and come back to it later.

I really shouldn't be struggling with something as simple as a inventory.
Dinsfire
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2013, 03:03:05 PM »

Harvest Moon is one of my favorite series, so I'll definitely be watching this from now on. hmu if you're looking for music and I'll send you my portfolio.

Check out my music while you're at it! click!
Doktor_Q
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2013, 08:50:01 PM »

Alright I'm going to be honest.

I don't know how to make an inventory. I dropped the resident evil 4  inventory idea because I wanted to go with something simpler, 8 inventory slot backpack.

Anyways, I don't understand what to do to make a decent inventory. I'm not a very good programmer, I guess I'm not even a programmer at all since I use GML, but I don't get it. I'm supposed to use an Array system, but I don't even know how to use that.

I'm going to read more online about it, but if anyone can post below tips or anything helpful i'd love that.

Sorry for the lack of updates. If I can't figure out the inventory by a few days I'm going to skip it for now and work on other parts of the game, and come back to it later.

I really shouldn't be struggling with something as simple as a inventory.

Well, if all you care about is a player's inventory, you can have an array (or several arrays, counting equip/carry slots) of "item" objects. You copy an item into that slot, bam, it's in your inventory. Items can have a "quantity" property to handle stacking more easily, at that. Array of 9 with slot 0 as held item would be a slightly more compact way, but giving the player an associated item (held) and an array of 8 (inventory) could also work.

If the objects have an x/y built into them, you can have items in your inventory not draw to the screen normally (just don't touch them when drawing), and set the location of your currently held item to you, so if it has to fall/be dropped it's already at a good starting position.

If that doesn't make sense, sorry, I might try to write it up clearer later.
Conker534
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2013, 01:52:03 AM »

Harvest Moon is one of my favorite series, so I'll definitely be watching this from now on. hmu if you're looking for music and I'll send you my portfolio.

Yes Harvest Moon is great, and when I get further into this game I'll ask around for music, will keep you in mind. Smiley

And about arrays, i'm starting to understand it. I should be able to have the inventory done soon.
Conker534
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2013, 02:46:01 AM »

its 3:45 and i did it
Doktor_Q
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2013, 08:00:56 AM »

Okay, so, a simpler version of my thoughts now that I'm not half asleep and rambling:

You have your list of all items on the map. This list is probably dynamically sized, and is checked for drawing and interactions. We'll say the items are of "item" object type, and this list is "map items."

Let's say the player is of an object type named "character," as are other NPCs. We'll assume that, for versatility, anybody could be carrying an item in their hands/over their head. For this, the "character" object includes, as a member, one "item" object. This also gets drawn together with the actual player.

If you already have a solution for carried items, you can ignore that bit just then.

Now, the inventory itself. Assuming only the player has one, you create an array of eight items, something like "item inventory[8];" in C-syntax. This may be a part of the player object itself, or it may not- whatever it is, it is NOT a part of the "map items" list. When a player puts an item away, it copies the item from held/map/wherever it was into the first open slot of the inventory array.

When you open the inventory, it displays some boxes or such and shows the item inside each box. When you pull out an item, it's the reverse of putting it away- copy it from the inventory slot to the place you want it to be, and replace the previously-filled slot with a blank. The inventory slots are holding the "values" of the item.

Hopefully this is helpful.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 48
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic