Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1042726 Posts in 42238 Topics- by 33864 Members - Latest Member: softkiwi

September 16, 2014, 05:27:20 AM
TIGSource ForumsCommunityCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace BookTheatre of Cruelty [FINISHED]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Theatre of Cruelty [FINISHED]  (Read 10049 times)
atuun
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2008, 09:49:22 PM »

As finished as it'll ever be:

~~~~~

Theatre of Cruelty

Being an interactive fiction fable about blood, horror, and hideousness in general.

~~~~~

Downloads:

For those with a .z8 capable interpreter: Huttah!

For those who...don't. (Windows Frotz and Mac Zoom included in package): Huttah!

All packages contain:
  • Theatre of Cruelty .z8 gamefile
  • readme.txt
  • A small collection of feelies to peruse at your leisure.

~~~~~

I don't have much to say about this. Let me know how you find the game -- I wasn't going to say anything, but...it's kinda my first. Ever. So feedback would be awesome and a half.

Oh...err. There are a few moodbreaking easter eggs in there. You'll have to look deep to find them though; they're pretty far off the beaten path. Let's just say one of them is particularly gentlemanly.

Anyway, whether you choose to laugh or scream (or just sit there and stare): have fun!  Beer!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 06:47:45 PM by Atuun » Logged

atuun
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 06:33:31 PM »

[Obnoxiously large image removed]

Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed

Well. There goes my Drunkenness engine.

But other than Inform compiler errors, this is going well! The bulk of the programming is finished, just leaving some to do around the middle along with a bunch of text I want to rewrite. I'm going to estimate this will be done in a week or so, and plan on regretting saying that then too.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 05:16:27 PM by Atuun » Logged

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 09:16:08 PM »

Drunkenness engine, eh? Heh, sounds tough. I'm liking what I read so far, so good luck.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 03:43:03 AM »

That there happened to me when I did an infinite loop.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 04:05:08 AM »

Sounds awesome so far.

And you get instant points for your avatar. Grin

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
atuun
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 12:26:18 AM »

Thanks for the kind words, all!  Beer!

That there happened to me when I did an infinite loop.

Oh man, really? I thought that was what it was originally, but the error message let on that it was a memory stack problem so I scrapped the code instead of trying to fix it. I kinda wish Inform would have said it was my mistake instead of its own, because I seriously thought I had reached the limits of the program or something. But I guess asking Inform to have sensible error messages is probably a lost cause in itself...

Anyway. I'll just have to figure out a different way to express intoxication through fiction. (and I'm probably spending way too much time on something you really have to go out of your way to do, but come on: Easter Eggs are the best part of any game! Tongue)

Chaoseed
Level 3

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 03:22:39 PM »

Inform is a pretty robust language, and the limitations on memory aren't very stringent. I think you really have to work on creating a huge game in order to get past those limits. (Or create an infinite loop. Wink )

Maybe you could post some of the code here and let some other people offer insight? Just an idea.

dmoonfire
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 03:47:35 PM »

One way of doing intoxication is to change the display messages as you are drunk. So, have the "You see a plain-looking woman". Then, while slightly drunk, change "plain-looking" to "good-looking". Then to "amazingly beautiful".

Another approach is to take the MS Paint Adventures approach and random change the verbs or nouns based on drunkeness. So, if you say "get keys", you can have "You don't see the pumpkin anywhere."
atuun
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 07:48:54 PM »

I'm done! Tears of Joy

Well, not quite. It'd be awesome if a couple people could give it a run through before I released the game at large. I'm sure there's a lot of stuff like edible doors still in there, and the plot is a bit...out there! So some feedback before it formally escapes would be wonderful.

Any beta testers willing to give it a shot?

Chaoseed
Level 3

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 09:54:44 PM »

I bet I could give it a shot. Undecided

atuun
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2008, 06:50:15 PM »

Have at 'er!

EDIT: Also, if anyone on a Mac can confirm the version of Zoom included in the interpreter package works, I'd be grateful. It should, but I have no way to try it out being on a PC.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 06:57:50 PM by Atuun » Logged

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 01:43:10 AM »

I really liked this game. Good work!

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 02:05:55 PM »

Just finished it. I didn't understand the end, and it felt like the game fell apart a bit - I was wandering around a field and it kept saying I should return to the carriage, when I hadn't seen any carriage, and had no idea what I was doing. Then I got to the carriage, and was told the driver was inanimate, and then that was it. I did like the feeling at the end that it was a new sunny day.

Generally I thought it was nicely written, except that I got no feel for the layout of the town centre. It seemed to be a few snapshots of scenes, with arbitrary directions linking them. The description of the town hall especially didn't make sense to me.

Otherwise, sweet.  Evil

atuun
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 07:37:59 PM »

I'm willing to admit it falls apart at the end; I rewrote the entire ending on the last day of the comp. :D So I got a bit clumsy with the implementation (hence the driver being inanimate; I guess I only added him in as scenery.)

Otherwise, I'm not much of a writer, which probably is the explanation for most of the game's faults. The town hall description is a bit of a mess though. It describes a lack of things, which doesn't really make sense. I'll rewrite it...someday.

It's great to hear some feedback, thanks!

Healy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2008, 07:21:38 PM »

Just wanted to say that I played your game, and loved it. I think has one of the most Lovecraft-like atmospheres in this competition, and believe me, that's saying a lot. Looking forward to seeing more works from you, Atuun! Beer!
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

afroman5k@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2008, 03:24:30 AM »

Yeah, strange this isn't getting more attention. It's actually... upsetting? I mean, the atmosphere is oppressive, the situation tense. I pretty much felt like I owed the town some form of help, and yet I wasn't sure if I wanted to see any more. Unfortunately, I got stuck a fair few times. It's still well written.

I think you're the only one to give serious horror a shot in every facet. Unless I've missed someone else's. This is possible.

ANYWAY, bravo Atuun!
Noyb
Level 9

Klik & Play Masochist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2008, 04:33:30 PM »

Very well done! Nicely written, and genuinely frightening at times. Despite a rushed ending, I enjoyed it a lot. The puzzles were pretty logical, and I caught a few of the easter eggs. Gentleman

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic