Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:00:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace Book.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: .  (Read 16350 times)
Atuun
« on: October 21, 2008, 09:49:22 PM »

[removed]
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 09:10:42 AM by ytprrnnt » Logged
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 09:16:08 PM »

Drunkenness engine, eh? Heh, sounds tough. I'm liking what I read so far, so good luck.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 03:43:03 AM »

That there happened to me when I did an infinite loop.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 04:05:08 AM »

Sounds awesome so far.

And you get instant points for your avatar. Grin

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Chaoseed
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 03:22:39 PM »

Inform is a pretty robust language, and the limitations on memory aren't very stringent. I think you really have to work on creating a huge game in order to get past those limits. (Or create an infinite loop. Wink )

Maybe you could post some of the code here and let some other people offer insight? Just an idea.

dmoonfire
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 03:47:35 PM »

One way of doing intoxication is to change the display messages as you are drunk. So, have the "You see a plain-looking woman". Then, while slightly drunk, change "plain-looking" to "good-looking". Then to "amazingly beautiful".

Another approach is to take the MS Paint Adventures approach and random change the verbs or nouns based on drunkeness. So, if you say "get keys", you can have "You don't see the pumpkin anywhere."
Chaoseed
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 09:54:44 PM »

I bet I could give it a shot. Undecided

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 01:43:10 AM »

I really liked this game. Good work!

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 02:05:55 PM »

Just finished it. I didn't understand the end, and it felt like the game fell apart a bit - I was wandering around a field and it kept saying I should return to the carriage, when I hadn't seen any carriage, and had no idea what I was doing. Then I got to the carriage, and was told the driver was inanimate, and then that was it. I did like the feeling at the end that it was a new sunny day.

Generally I thought it was nicely written, except that I got no feel for the layout of the town centre. It seemed to be a few snapshots of scenes, with arbitrary directions linking them. The description of the town hall especially didn't make sense to me.

Otherwise, sweet.  Evil

Healy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 07:21:38 PM »

Just wanted to say that I played your game, and loved it. I think has one of the most Lovecraft-like atmospheres in this competition, and believe me, that's saying a lot. Looking forward to seeing more works from you, Atuun! Beer!
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 03:24:30 AM »

Yeah, strange this isn't getting more attention. It's actually... upsetting? I mean, the atmosphere is oppressive, the situation tense. I pretty much felt like I owed the town some form of help, and yet I wasn't sure if I wanted to see any more. Unfortunately, I got stuck a fair few times. It's still well written.

I think you're the only one to give serious horror a shot in every facet. Unless I've missed someone else's. This is possible.

ANYWAY, bravo Atuun!
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 04:33:30 PM »

Very well done! Nicely written, and genuinely frightening at times. Despite a rushed ending, I enjoyed it a lot. The puzzles were pretty logical, and I caught a few of the easter eggs. Gentleman

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic