Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:09:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessDid you quit your job to go indie?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Print
Author Topic: Did you quit your job to go indie?  (Read 31099 times)
Julien
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 17, 2014, 06:45:44 AM »

I didn't I coded everyday after work until midnight.
That's where I'm at. How did it work out for you?

Same here ^^

joe_eyemobi
Level 3

Fledgling Indie Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: October 21, 2014, 12:54:47 PM »

So I've finally done it...

After 8 years working at the Creative Assembly as an Artist then Lead Artist(Empire TW, Napoleon TW, Shogun 2 TW, Fall of the Samurai TW and Rome2 TW) I've handed in my notice And will be Indie at 5pm on my Birthday November 21st!!!

It's time for change,

So I'm setting up a small Indie studio in Brighton with another Creative Assembly guy (a Programmer) and a friend who has about 12 years experience at Rare and other studios (as an animator) and we have a Sound guy on board too. We have a project around 20-30% into development and going full-time we aim to hammer the development and get it out by summer.

We will be announcing the project as a Dev log soon Smiley we've shown a first playable (prototype)build to the Brighton Indie group and it's been well received but we want the core mechanic fully implemented before we start the dev log...

Either way it's exciting times!!!! I feel at peace right now, planning my actions, reducing my costs of living, saving as much money as possible before I finish in November.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask. And I'd really appreciate any follows on my Twitter @TPickardDev as that will be my day to day communication method I feel based of research :D

Happy Birthday Knifey!  And congrats on going indie  Smiley  It's hard work, but so much more intrinsically rewarding than any full time job!

PeteH
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: October 27, 2014, 05:45:31 AM »

Congrats Knifey and good luck!

Next time I´m in the South East I´ll give you a shout and come say hi! :D

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: October 27, 2014, 05:52:30 AM »

Well, I'm unemployed now so.. kinda.

BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: October 28, 2014, 07:03:25 AM »

I was just doing game art on the side while working my old office job from home. then their corporate policy changed and they wanted me back in office full time. so, I made the decision to make the leap to full-time indie game artist in February of this year and haven't looked back since! love being my own boss.  Wink

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: October 28, 2014, 07:35:40 AM »

I was just doing game art on the side while working my old office job from home. then their corporate policy changed and they wanted me back in office full time. so, I made the decision to make the leap to full-time indie game artist in February of this year and haven't looked back since! love being my own boss.  Wink

I'm kind of in the same context, working from home, leaving me time to work on my game, but if one day I'll have to go back working in an office I'll probably speed up my reconversion to a full indie dev.

dragonslumber
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: October 28, 2014, 12:00:04 PM »

I didn't quit. I have a day job which pays living expenses, with the overflow going directly in the game. Because my living expenses are so low, it enables me to invest 5 digits per year into this project. And of course I work on the game evenings and weekends, directly as well as managing contractual artists.

Arelite Core, coming to a PC near you (hopefully yours) in 2015, www.arelitecore.com
Liens
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: October 30, 2014, 04:21:23 AM »

Disclaimer:  This is all just an opinion

I've been full time indie developing for about a year now, and it wouldn't have been possible if I didn't have support of friends who have helped financially and otherwise.

Unless you don't mind doing a little damage to your body (and maybe mind if you don't take stress well), and you don't mind being dirt poor for as long as it takes, I would not recommend it haha. Smiley

Otherwise, like a lot of the suggestions, maybe save up some dough or like.. have a second job, again that could be stressful though if you're trying to take your game development super seriously and still want time for family and friends.

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: October 30, 2014, 01:22:41 PM »

Unless you don't mind doing a little damage to your body (and maybe mind if you don't take stress well), and you don't mind being dirt poor for as long as it takes, I would not recommend it haha. Smiley

Story of my life lol, I guess I was made to be indie then =P
Friez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 30, 2014, 02:03:06 PM »

Fast heading that way! Current workload level: impossible.
Watch this space!

Twitter @friezdj
Liens
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: October 30, 2014, 03:24:21 PM »

Story of my life lol, I guess I was made to be indie then =P
You and me both my friend

@Friez
Do your best!

Friez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 31, 2014, 12:53:52 AM »

Thanks, I'll certainly try!

Twitter @friezdj
Jonathan Burroughs
Level 1

Co-founder Variable State

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: November 19, 2014, 05:26:39 AM »

So I've finally done it...

After 8 years working at the Creative Assembly as an Artist then Lead Artist(Empire TW, Napoleon TW, Shogun 2 TW, Fall of the Samurai TW and Rome2 TW) I've handed in my notice And will be Indie at 5pm on my Birthday November 21st!!!

It's time for change,

So I'm setting up a small Indie studio in Brighton with another Creative Assembly guy (a Programmer) and a friend who has about 12 years experience at Rare and other studios (as an animator) and we have a Sound guy on board too. We have a project around 20-30% into development and going full-time we aim to hammer the development and get it out by summer.

We will be announcing the project as a Dev log soon Smiley we've shown a first playable (prototype)build to the Brighton Indie group and it's been well received but we want the core mechanic fully implemented before we start the dev log...

Either way it's exciting times!!!! I feel at peace right now, planning my actions, reducing my costs of living, saving as much money as possible before I finish in November.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask. And I'd really appreciate any follows on my Twitter @TPickardDev as that will be my day to day communication method I feel based of research :D

Best of luck, buddy. I'm super excited for you.

knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: November 20, 2014, 12:58:19 AM »

Ha thanks everyone :D It's my Penultimate day at CA... feels wierd.. I've spent 8 years of my life here... so like 1/4 :S It's going to be exciting, we'll have a few announcements to make once we're indie and some cool things we're planning alongside just being indie devs :D so it's exciting times...

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
PappaWayne
Level 0

Twitter: @pappasgamez

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: November 24, 2014, 03:26:53 AM »

I work in finance as my main job  and make games in my spare time. I recently changed from full time to four days a week to give me more time to work on my games. I want to transition to games completely but it's hard to balance everything in life Smiley. If my next game starts to take off in popularity I will probably reduce my days at the main job further. Atleast my employers are happy for me to do that.

Columbo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 24, 2014, 10:01:38 AM »

I did not quit my job to go indie.

I released my game recently on iOS. Got featured by Apple, got into the top 10 Strategy and Arcade charts in many big countries (including UK and US). Got good reviews off some major websites 4.5/5 at Touch Arcade, 4/5 at 148Apps for instance.

Basically, it all went way better than I expected. Except the income... now, I was prepared for a massive flop so the income we did make was a lot more than I feared, but it is nowhere near enough to compensate the time we put in.

I'm very happy to have achieved what we have, and there's loads of other avenues and possibilities to explore with this game before we move onto the next, so I'm not writing it all off or anything, it's been a great ride and has been a good start for our company.

But overall I am very glad I did not quit my job! If I had, I'd be scrambling for a new one right now Smiley

invicticide
Level 0

@invicticide

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: November 29, 2014, 04:01:42 PM »

I did. I worked in commercial game dev (third-party at first, then first-party AAA) for nine years, learned a bunch, saved up money... and then the industry got gross, my studio pivoted into F2P Sad and it finally became time to jump ship.

I'm not just working on my game all the time, though. I also do game dev consulting, which -- combined with savings -- is effectively how I'm funding my own indie work.

I have no idea how viable this is in the long-term. It's been okay so far, but I have yet to feel truly secure or stable in this career decision.

anotheryeti
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: December 10, 2014, 05:07:06 PM »

Quit my job at a smaller MMO company after working there for a year, wasn't a fan of California. We'll see how this indie thing pans out.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 11, 2014, 10:33:16 PM »

Getting laid off in about a week due to bad economy within the company I'm hired at. Looking for new jobs – not going to kill myself doing fulltime indiedev again – but I suppose I'll be working hard on my projects until I get a new job.

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 12, 2014, 02:47:22 AM »

I won't.

I have expenses, wife and a beautiful baby girl that are the light in my life. No way I would jeopardize now my whole life on an impulse.

If you are living with your parents, have negligible expenses and are fairly young, spend a couple years being "indie" and see if that works out for you.

If you have responsibilities, think really hard on making such a drastic change.

But either way, best of luck for those that are able to do what I was unable to. Smiley

Yeah.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic