Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:57:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsI've finished Derek's amazing tutorials, where can I learn from now?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: I've finished Derek's amazing tutorials, where can I learn from now?  (Read 4502 times)
Atlas
« on: June 02, 2013, 11:32:25 PM »

Hi, I'm fresh to GM and have just finished Derek's set of 4 tutorials and have found them super useful, now that I've finished them I was wondering if someone could lead me on the right path for more learning.

Any sites, links, videos would be really appreciated.

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong sub forums and thanks Derek!
Ashkin
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 11:44:32 PM »

Start making a game, google specific tutorials to fill in the gaps in your knowledge base as you encounter them.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 11:57:02 PM »

memorize the game maker manual (or at least read it 3 times in a row, straight through). that's what i did and it was a worthy time investment

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 12:58:58 AM »

Use Construct 2

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 01:07:09 AM »

It's a vastly different tool, but yeah. i'd even say, use Construct Classic before diving in Construct 2.

Yeah.
Ant
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 01:07:46 AM »

why?
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 01:18:23 AM »

When i used to make 2D games i tried game maker, click'n'play, MMF, MMF2, Construct and Construct 2, of all those programs I found game maker the worst and Construct the best, so that's just my honest recommendation to anyone. It's just my opinion obviously, but it seems like nobody on these forums even considers other options than GM

Uykered
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 02:00:51 AM »

Construct 2 is like windows 7 and mmf2/gm are like windows 98.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 10:25:51 AM »

is this supposed to be a good thing, since i'm on 7 it's only misery and rage, i regret XP

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 10:42:05 AM »

Construct 2 is like windows 7 and mmf2/gm are like windows 98.

and yet not a single successful commercial indie game has been made in construct or construct 2 (to my knowledge), whereas game maker has dozens of them

judge engines by the games created in them, not their feature list

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 10:52:07 AM »

I think there are a handful mobile games made with C2.

A a couple good games made with C1 for the commonplace compo
-the lake
-that other game

IMO construct is really good(*). C1 had problems with big project but I've heard C2 solved this

(* except for the whole HTML5 problem)

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 11:33:09 AM »

and yet not a single successful commercial indie game has been made in construct or construct 2 (to my knowledge), whereas game maker has dozens of them

judge engines by the games created in them, not their feature list

Well, I think that might just be a sampling size issue.  I'm going just by feel, not hard numbers, but I'm going to guess that Game Maker has dozens times the number of users than construct or construct 2. 
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 11:40:02 AM »

sure, but that also means dozens of times the help if you get stuck, dozens of times the amount of free code and libraries and tutorials, dozens of times the number of experts to learn and seek advice from, etc. -- i'm not saying 'always use the most popular engine', but you shouldn't underestimate the importance of factors outside of the engine itself. all that extra stuff (particularly the libraries/dlls/extensions stuff) is a pretty important part of an engine

i don't think GM is the best at this though; unity seems to have an even larger user base than GM is, so if i had to learn a new engine today i'd learn unity and not GM. but considering that this guy just went through four tutorials for GM and is looking for more, it's silly to recommend he suddenly switch to something else when he's just getting started making games and learning to program. switching engines so early in the process makes no sense. his goal right now is to learn how to make games, and switching could damage that process; it seem irresponsible to me to try to get him to try something else just due to some GM-hatred when the last thing he needs is to start from scratch learning a new engine

aberrantmind
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 11:50:52 AM »

the OP asked for resources, but ends up with an extensive discussion about using some other thing. what the shit? anyways...

If you don't have any programming language I'd recommend to spend some time learning one so that it is easier to understand GML. It would take like a few weeks or less if you have the time and when you come back to it thing will make tons more sense.

If you do have programming knowledge the reference manual is a good start as Paul recommended. Also this article was very helpful with explaining the functions http://csanyk.com/rants/2012/09/position-and-motion-tutorial-gamemaker/

Barch
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 01:30:57 AM »

the OP asked for resources, but ends up with an extensive discussion about using some other thing. what the shit? anyways...

And why is this a bad thing? We are elders, we have knowledge, we have mistakes, and tears of code. We are setting up this person to a journey of self discovery and expression - the brush he picks up shapes how he expresses himself and at the same time limits himself.

By all means there should be a complete discussion of how the tools effect the movements of the soul. Whether it be now or later it should be discussed and pondered. The music child who likes to be extremely violent and angry, is well suited to become the drummer. While the child who is quiet and likes to enjoy  a ride becomes a bass player. The child who needs attention is best suited to become the guitar player and lead singer. Place the wrong instrument with the wrong child and he becomes bored or nervous or angry and is in direct denial of who that person is. The child drops the instrument and it gathers dust. Or it can a union of the persons being - a beacon of hope that inspires others to greatness and happiness!

Like so programs have this ability as well, Lo and behold I shall gather the programs the barch can example. Behold GameMaker, Well suited for small games, mechanics that can be prototyped. When we are the technical sort we splutter and curse - I see greater horizons but this tool is a limiter of my being. They walk off as they do whenever seeing it say " this is a baby's tool" and treats those as such beings, being so its coding is limited. But to the impatient sort, the ones who desire speed and instant connection with the medium itself praise its glory. Hail GameMaker Prototype king of programs. They draw sprites and they appear instantly without a single engine being built.

Likewise Flash - the animators friend for those who desire the moving picture this was there design. The animators the movers and the shaker all came together in this praise. Edmund Edmund Edmund flash flash flash. Like that of game maker no engine needed the sprite made and placed its image editor destroys the pixel easily (can be turned off of course but for sake of proverb). The man trapped in the nes says NO! he desires the pixel to stay in a certain way but flash goes and gives it aliasing no edges. The nes child crys his dreams shattered but the comic artist smiles for the aliasing gives his look nice touchs.

C++, the complete denial of the impatient but the crown of hope for those who are patient GODS. The dictator of all works. The techical one says at last this program is as complicated and limitless as my cpu speeds and my desires and motivation. But the artist is boggled and stunned he sees no canvas to build from it is overwhelming and slow to form from his touch. The techincal one is in an enviroment where his soul is relished while the artists is stunned and paralyzed. Physics to the animator is just the bouncing ball example where the ball itself stretches and pulls. To the technical it is the very nature of the ball itself, a perfect mimicry of its property.

Make no difference between the artist and the programmer in this Game Design world my friend. Both are the creator of illusions and moving realitys, the expression and tools they use are of different movements of the soul.

How we convince young atlas what path to set up for him is the difference between the independent legend and just another level 10 poster. It is the difference between placing a seed in fertile soil and placing it in concrete. Likewise the games designer in fertile programming language and destructive language.

--------------------
In the end it is Atlas here who is so rightly named, he bears the weight of choosing the right step to express himself. Which is to us humans the weight of the world. He must look deep inside himself. What does he honestly desire to express? who is he? Is he the artist? The pixel artist(check out graphic gale if you like that kind of stuff) does the code interest him? Is he the dictator of codes themself? Is he the world builder? The lore slinger? The comic? The philosopher? Who is atlas and what brush does he need to pick up to be fully alive in the medium of illusion designed realitys?

the barch is here to help you express your vision, your sounds, your gameplay ideals, if you got this far perhaps the brush feels right in your hand and that is the brush that'll paint your masterpiece!

I will show you the way ( tutorials examples that sort of thing.)
   explore go deep in the pages - you are the miner I have shown you the dig site for your gold mine.

-- Game Maker Examples
http://www.64digits.com/games/index.php?example=1  //;; bountiful gold site
http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?s=7afd1afc70a76a73aa2a6ffb52c4d460&showforum=28 ;;// like the citys having the richest of people this site is filled with the teachings of the manipulation of code to create games for years

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 05:51:26 AM »

Hi, I'm fresh to GM and have just finished Derek's set of 4 tutorials and have found them super useful, now that I've finished them I was wondering if someone could lead me on the right path for more learning.

It's time to start making stuff. Experiment. And then when you find your knowledge doesn't let you do a thing you want to do, turn to the googles or elsewhere to find out how and thus increase your powers.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 05:54:22 AM »

Pick a tool (GameMaker, Unity, Flash, HTML5, Construct, MMF, whatevs) .  Make a small game or two with it.  If you really like the tool, stick with it.  If you don't, pick a different tool, and repeat.

While I was being a pedantic asshole in my rebuttal to Paul, his response makes a fantastic point.  The tools that have the largest communities will be the easiest to learn (or at least, the easiest to get answers to your questions).  With that in mind, I think the first 4 tools that I listed (GameMaker, Unity, Flash, HTML5) are the best bets. 
danny34
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2013, 12:33:19 AM »

Choose and buy a GameMaker book which is suitable for you. It seems that there are many GM books:
http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=539399

By the way, I want to say that GameMaker should be an excellent tool.
The top seller on Steam is a game make with GameMaker!
http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=583024
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 01:03:12 AM by danny34 » Logged
aberrantmind
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2013, 07:07:51 AM »

you'll get a lot of people telling you HOW you should approach making a game, what most of them forget to tell you is that you should just get started and make a game.

It doesn't matter how, the point is you need to start something, something simple that you can complete while still challenging you ideally, and finish it.

Rahrahrah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2013, 10:46:40 AM »

I have a question I'll add here as well.  I have been looking for the most current manual for GameMaker: Studio.  About all I could come up with was a bunch of GM8 and GM8.1 manuals noting that Studio is like 80% different in its functions or somesuch.  Does anybody know if there is a finished manual or documentation for GM:Studio???  I really kind of sort of desire a pdf so I can read it at work on my phone, which now sadly I have to be inside that damned building for 50 plus hours through the summer.

In the meantime, instead of figuring out new game mechanics, mashing game mechanics, what assets I need, how to make any part more efficient, I am just making a few projects and jamming out ideas and "I wonder what will happen if I do ______" teaches myself volumes and then keeps introducing new ways to handle anything.. or at least new junk to read and understand.

Hands dirty.  Hands busy.  Seems to be the best route right now for me.

So yeah, I'm sitting on top of a million one roomers. 

Trying more and more to relate less and less to Sisyphus.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic