Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411432 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 04:49:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTricone Lab: a bio-logical puzzle game [Out 27-Jul-2017 on Steam]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Tricone Lab: a bio-logical puzzle game [Out 27-Jul-2017 on Steam]  (Read 29455 times)
josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: June 05, 2013, 09:05:42 AM »

A bio-logical puzzle game for Windows PC and Mac OSX, available on Steam from July 27th 2017

Your aim is to build a mysterious multicoloured substance known as tricone. To crack each level, you'll need to figure out the right sequence of interactions to bring each coloured piece together, changing the cell structure by breaking open walls or creating new divisions. You'll need to unlock resources then use catalysts to create the compounds you need. As you progress, new and unusual elements emerge and combine together inside shifting cell structures to challenge your lateral thinking.

Features:
  • 100 standard levels.
  • A graphical editor where you can create your own custom puzzles by simply drawing them.
  • Tricone Lab Online: click a button to upload your custom puzzles and share them with other players.
  • Browse and download custom puzzles created by other users, and see if you can solve them!

Tricone Lab is now available to buy / play on Steam!  Here is the Tricone Lab Steam store page. If you would like a Steam key for press purposes just email me.

If you would like to be updated about the development and release status you should either subscribe to this TIGSource thread, follow the game on Steam or follow me on Twitter.

Tricone Lab is also on Facebook

Any other questions? Please just PM or email me.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 01:30:38 PM by josh_s » Logged

website  |  devlog  |  twitter  |  indieDB  |  facebook  |  steam
JackMenhorn
Level 2

Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 07:20:22 AM »

I love the design behind this!  Can't wait to see where it goes!

Sound Designer<br />www.jackmenhorn.com

Nova-111 OST: https://jackmenhorn.bandcamp.com/album/nova-111
CasePortman
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 07:51:57 AM »

very interesting puzzler, I've never seen anything like this before.
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 10:00:38 AM »

I can't wait to see more. I'm hopin' there's a demo cause the gameplay looks like it feels very satisfying. I love the biological take on a puzzle game. The only puzzle game I can think of that goes for a biological theme is Splice and even that still felt sort of mechanical, somehow.
josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 05:45:05 AM »

Thanks for the positive comments. I'm preparing a playable demo for Windows. It includes 26 puzzle / tutorial levels. Later on in the game I'm planning to introduce more biologically inspired mechanics such as cells which subdivide autonomously, and plant-like structures.

josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 02:22:09 AM »

OK a downloadable demo is now available!

Here is the link:

EDIT: link removed. PM me if you would like a Steam key for the game!

Minimum system requirements: Java 6.0+, decent processor (e.g. i3 or better), graphics card which supports shaders. Any feedback much appreciated. The project's focus is gameplay (smooth learning curve, satisfaction of solving puzzles etc). There's no sound (yet) and the art is pretty minimal. So gameplay feedback would be particularly useful. I've only tested it on Windows thus far, so I would especially like to hear from anyone who tries it on MacOSX or Linux.

For the downloader / installer I decided to go with Java Web Start in the end. It was fairly easy to get started with it, and it offers a lot of functionality. The fiddly thing was actually getting desktop icons to work. It seemed some time back that asking users to install Java first before installing the game was too confusing. I guess Minecraft proves that where there's a will, there's a way.

I still have some reservations about Java Web Start. My game needs to read / write files locally in order to store the user's progress. This means I need to give the application extra permissions, so web start pops up a scary message that my game might be harmful. It isn't but I can't seem to avoid the message and stay within the web start framework. I guess I will at least register the certificate properly at some stage.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 10:03:32 AM by josh_s » Logged

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 11:32:47 AM »

The game feels great to play. The pacing is incredibly relaxing and it's awesome to watch all the components interact with each other. I love breaking an interior wall and watching the whole cell collapse a little and reinflate. I occasionally found myself hoping that the game would introduce a new component that would add something to the game mechanics but gameplay stayed compelling through all twenty-something levels even with the relatively few components required to solve the puzzles. I think it particularly helped in the later levels that I had to start thinking outside the box cell.

The visuals benefit from being easy to read and certainly don't take anything away from the game but I feel like they're too simple for a game that feels so organic. The only thing I think the game really needs, though, is sound. I just really wanted things to "pop" and "squish" while I was playing.

---Miscellaneous Comments---

• I understand that Ctrl+Z is probably a comfortable Undo for most Windows users but I think it just adds an unnecessary step for so many of the hotkeys to require Ctrl. I also think that the hotkeys would be a little easier to use if they were all based on the left side of the keyboard since the main key I used was F1 (and esc). The hotkeys for Info, Pause and Redo are all a little inconvenient while one hand was on the mouse.

• A restart hotkey would be much appreciated.

• I'd like to be able to select multiple Breakers or Tricone Catalysts so I can synthesize (or break) some or all at once.

• I find myself hitting F1 as soon as the Breaker's connected and then again when it can actually break. I'd prefer it if Breakers would que a break order so that once they reach a wall they'd break automatically.

• Breakers "arms" seem to get confused if you try to pull them past a wall too quickly and instead of connecting to it they just bump against it until you reposition the mouse directly on the wall.

• I got a crash once after I finished Enough Breakers on M4, as the next two levels were "inflating" but it didn't happen again after I restarted and loaded M4.
------
Awesome game! Can't wait to see what's next for it.
josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 02:02:30 PM »

Thanks so much for playing the game through all the current levels and for the detailed and constructive feedback.

I will of course introduce new components after map M4. As you mention maps M1-M4 are restricted to a fairly narrow set of components (sythesis, breakers, breaker-synthesis, breaker-moves and cell-balance). My rationale was this:

a) Since the game is abstract, it can, depending on the player, be hard to remember and reason about the puzzle components. Therefore repeated exposure allows the logic for these components to "sink in" to the player's mind, before we move on and introduce something new into the mix.

b) As you mentioned, even these few components allow quite a wide range of puzzles, and even a certain amount of lateral thinking "outside the cell". I read an article on puzzle design which recommended trying to see how many different puzzles you can make out of a small component set. If you can make a lot, then that is probably a good component set.

I've got several other components in the pipeline. When these combine with the existing set and with each other there should be quite an explosion of puzzle possibilities. But it also seems critical not to get too complex too early, you need to give the player enough practice on each component to build up confidence with it.

I will definitely be adding sound effects, I think it will add to the overall feel of the game and also make interactions a bit more intuitive. I just don't have good skills in that area, so I'll be working with a collaborator on that.

Your suggestions on the hotkeys were very good and I will probably incorporate most of them.

The bug / crash which you got is a known issue which occurs occasionally when level nodes inflate on the map. It's quite rare, probably depends on some very specific conditions, so I need to get a simple reproducible test case, then I'll fix it.

The usability issue with "breaker arms" (I call them "mover lines") is also a good point. I should be able to fix this with a fairly simple change.

There is also obviously quite a bit of polishing to do on the overall appearance -- unfortunately I enjoy designing levels a bit too much and so I sometimes take a while to get around to the other stuff ....

cragwind
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 04:10:17 PM »

Looks interesting!

I downloaded and tried to run, but nothing appeared after I clicked Run on the security popup after the Java loading splash after installing. I wasn't sure where to look for logs.

I'm running Windows 8 on a VM:
   VMware Player 5.0.1 build-894247
   Windows 8, 64-bit  (Build 9200) 6.2.9200
   java version "1.7.0_21"
   Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_21-b11)
   Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 23.21-b01, mixed mode, sharing)

josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 02:15:15 AM »

Hi gears, thanks for trying it out. I've had a few startup crashes on friends' machines so be assured it's very probably my game not your setup. I've hardcoded some of the display properties in the version you tested, so that could be the issue. Next release will make these configurable.

To see the log of a Java Web Start application, on Windows (7) you would do this:

Start -> Control Panel -> Java -> Advanced -> Java console -> show console.

This pops up a console window when you run the application.

May I ask what is the host OS in which you are running the windows VM?

cragwind
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 03:52:13 AM »

The host is Win8 x64 as well. Here's the error:

Exception in thread "LWJGL Renderer Thread" java.lang.IllegalStateException
   at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglAbstractDisplay.runLoop(LwjglAbstractDisplay.java:147)
   at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglDisplay.runLoop(LwjglDisplay.java:182)
   at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglAbstractDisplay.run(LwjglAbstractDisplay.java:223)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 04:59:50 AM »

Hi gears,

I think it's crashing for one of the following two reasons.

a) -- in the release you tested, multisampling is hardcoded, but actually many gfx cards do not support it and it's not necessary to run the game. So in the next release this will be configurable but it will default to off.

b) -- the host has a gfx card / driver with sufficient capabilities but the vm's gfx card, and/or its driver doesn't.

I will add more diagnostics output to the log in the next release, this should shed more light on it.

Thanks again for your patience.

cd-w
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 08:41:30 AM »

I have played through all 4 maps and really enjoyed the game.   Some random thoughts that occurred to me while playing:

1) The "organic" feel to the game is quite unique.   I think the only game that I have played that was anything like this was LocoRoco on the PSP, although the gameplay is quite different.   I really like the way that new levels bubble and explode, and everything has a nice gloopy feel to it.

2) The game would work very well on an iPad and other tablet devices.  It seems like it was designed to work with a touch-based interface?   You would probably get a much bigger audience if it was an Android or iOS app.   I found the Java installer to be a bit cumbersome as there was no file association for JNLP and the installer took an age to verify at the end.

3) It would be nice if you could drag from the tricones back to the synthesizing unit - I found myself trying to drag in the wrong direction all the time.

4) Is there any reason not to synthesize automatically when all of the connections have been made?   The "synthesize" button seems a bit unnecessary.

5) I didn't use the undo, redo, and pause buttons.   I think the UI could be simplified down to just quit and restart buttons (break could be done with a double click)?   At the moment I think it looks a bit clunky with the large buttons and text.    Using icons instead of text would also let you internationalize the game more easily.

6) The game could really use some sound effects to add atmosphere.   I wonder if it would be possible to automatically generate bubbling and popping noises in response to the actions of the player?   A Google search for "sounding liquids" turned up some interesting articles.

7) The game could use some cool particle effects when things happen, such as breaking line segments and synthesizing tricones.

Cool Some ideas for additional game mechanics:

a) Combine multiple tricones to produce new cells
b) Magnetic particles could be interesting
c) More use of colour, e.g. tricones of the same colour, mixing coloured regions (similar to the + and - areas), colored line segments.
d) Fluid and gravity would be cool, e.g. fluid that drops down when you open a cell, but probably extremely hard to program!
e) The rubber-banding effect is cool - could it be used to fling particles together, or into dangerous areas?
f) Anti-tricones that must be kept separate from normal tricones
g) Heat or radiation could add a timing dimension to the levels, e.g. you have to complete some tasks before the cell gets too hot, or radiation destroys it.

I'm hoping you will produce more maps soon?

cd-w
josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 04:30:46 AM »

I have played through all 4 maps and really enjoyed the game.   Some random thoughts that occurred to me while playing:

1) The "organic" feel to the game is quite unique.   I think the only game that I have played that was anything like this was LocoRoco on the PSP, although the gameplay is quite different.   I really like the way that new levels bubble and explode, and everything has a nice gloopy feel to it.
Glad you liked it and thanks so much for playing and writing detailed feedback.

It actually did not start out intending to look biological but it ended up that way. I've added a bit more gloopyness in the next version (in the map screens), and I have some ideas for beefing up the graphics to gloop-up the look of it even more.

2) The game would work very well on an iPad and other tablet devices.  It seems like it was designed to work with a touch-based interface?   You would probably get a much bigger audience if it was an Android or iOS app.   I found the Java installer to be a bit cumbersome as there was no file association for JNLP and the installer took an age to verify at the end.
It was not designed originally for touch screens but a few people have mentioned that it would work well. I'm going to get the Win/OSX/Linux version finished before I think too much about porting to Android / iOS. JNLP download: not sure whay you don't have the file association? Was this on Windows? If so, what browser? All the other windows machines I have tested have started javaws based on clicking the link to the jnlp file. On Linux and MacOSX I don't think they have the association. On the verification times, there are quite a few jars in there which I don't actually use so I will look into removing these to make the download / verification quicker.

3) It would be nice if you could drag from the tricones back to the synthesizing unit - I found myself trying to drag in the wrong direction all the time.
Interesting. Technically you mean dragging from a resource (small white node) to a catalyst (large white node), rather than dragging from catalyst to resource, which is the only possible direction at the moment. I observed another player trying this early on but it wasn't a problem for him after a few levels. There's nothing in the game to stop me adding this in, but it sort of seems wrong in the sense that it is the catalysts which have the power to synthesize, whereas I see the resources as more inert. I'll think about it.

4) Is there any reason not to synthesize automatically when all of the connections have been made?   The "synthesize" button seems a bit unnecessary.
Yes, a couple of reasons. One is that I think it is clearer for the user that the connections and synthesis happen in two steps. The second reason is that sometimes, depending on the level design, a synthesis might be possible but you don't actually want to do it.

5) I didn't use the undo, redo, and pause buttons.   I think the UI could be simplified down to just quit and restart buttons (break could be done with a double click)?   At the moment I think it looks a bit clunky with the large buttons and text.    Using icons instead of text would also let you internationalize the game more easily.
Some people do use undo and redo, it's especially useful if you make a silly mistake on a complex level. However, maybe it makes the game too easy? Not sure. Also not sure if undo should pause the gameplay or not.

I've thought about icons but I think the text buttons are actually very clear. Personally I find icons more confusing than text unless it is very clear what they do. If it does get internationalized, translating the button text is not a big deal, as there is quite a bit of other text to be translated anyway (e.g. node descriptions). I might combine icons and text e.g. with tooltips.

I will definitely consider adding double-click as a way to perform the selected node's main action (i.e. synthesize or break in the current map set). Good idea!

6) The game could really use some sound effects to add atmosphere.   I wonder if it would be possible to automatically generate bubbling and popping noises in response to the actions of the player?   A Google search for "sounding liquids" turned up some interesting articles.
Yes! I'll cover this in another post on this thread.

7) The game could use some cool particle effects when things happen, such as breaking line segments and synthesizing tricones.
I guess you mean apart from the little dots which burst out? Things like smoke effects etc?

Cool Some ideas for additional game mechanics:

a) Combine multiple tricones to produce new cells
b) Magnetic particles could be interesting
c) More use of colour, e.g. tricones of the same colour, mixing coloured regions (similar to the + and - areas), colored line segments.
d) Fluid and gravity would be cool, e.g. fluid that drops down when you open a cell, but probably extremely hard to program!
e) The rubber-banding effect is cool - could it be used to fling particles together, or into dangerous areas?
f) Anti-tricones that must be kept separate from normal tricones
g) Heat or radiation could add a timing dimension to the levels, e.g. you have to complete some tasks before the cell gets too hot, or radiation destroys it.
Lots of ideas there!

a -- Yes! There are two new mechanics in the pipeline which will allow the user to create new cells. One is a movable node which, when activated, inflates into a bubble which becomes a new cell. Not sure what to call these ones, maybe "cellformers" or "bubblers"?. Another mechanic which is coming soon is the "constructor" node. Dragging a line out from this node creates a new border, so it can be used for example to create a new floating cell, or it can be dragged to part of the existing cell structure to connect things or subdivide the existing cells.

b, d and g -- I want the game to be a pure logic puzzle so things like aiming accuracy and timing do not matter. So, I'm staying away from mechanics which would introduce a skill requirement into the game. I could see how these would be fun for a lot of people, but it would be a different game.

c -- I may bring in more color later in order to represent new mechanics. Originally the + and - cells were purple and yellow, and the neutral cells were green. But, apart from this being way too garish, I found that using + and - symbols gave a more understandable look because you can see them flowing between cells when a border is broken.

e -- The line-dragging is already used to combine and move nodes, I guess. Other than that if you had to aim where to fling things I think it might become a skill game?

f -- Yes! I've got a new node type (in my head) called the "anti-catalyst". It is like an "enemy" catalyst which is out of the user's control. It grabs hold of any resources it can in the same cell, removing them from use by the player. So it needs to be kept apart from these resources, therefore motivating use of the "constructor" nodes.

The next version has got a large number of "engine" enhancements, which I have already completed. I've left the new level design until last as I find that the most fun bit. So the next version will have a new "transporter" node type and there will be at least one new level map, containing a set of levels based on this new node type.

Future versions will contain more new puzzles, but this time round I had a lot of feedback on the engine stuff so I focused on that.

Thanks again for the feedback!

josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 04:44:05 AM »

With great fanfare I am pleased to announce that I will be collaborating with the accomplished sound designer, TIGSource's very own KomradeJack to produce some much needed sound effects for tricone lab.

Yay. Welcome on board, Jack.

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 10:29:20 AM »

Some people do use undo and redo, it's especially useful if you make a silly mistake on a complex level. However, maybe it makes the game too easy? Not sure. Also not sure if undo should pause the gameplay or not.

You could give the option of playing on some kind of hardcore mode where there's no undo or redo and if you get stuck you have to start over (or maybe just the map you're on?). Might be interesting. The player would have to put more thought into a level before they actually play it. Maybe that wouldn't be as meaningful if it was just replaying the levels you've already played, though.

The next version has got a large number of "engine" enhancements, which I have already completed. I've left the new level design until last as I find that the most fun bit. So the next version will have a new "transporter" node type and there will be at least one new level map, containing a set of levels based on this new node type.

Awesome news! Can't wait to hear the sound design, too!   Beer!
JackMenhorn
Level 2

Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2013, 05:55:21 AM »

Thanks for the warm welcome!  I am happy to be on board.

Sound Designer<br />www.jackmenhorn.com

Nova-111 OST: https://jackmenhorn.bandcamp.com/album/nova-111
cd-w
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2013, 11:55:29 PM »

I found the Java installer to be a bit cumbersome as there was no file association for JNLP and the installer took an age to verify at the end.
JNLP download: not sure why you don't have the file association? Was this on Windows? If so, what browser? All the other windows machines I have tested have started javaws based on clicking the link to the jnlp file. On Linux and MacOSX I don't think they have the association. On the verification times, there are quite a few jars in there which I don't actually use so I will look into removing these to make the download / verification quicker.
It is on Windows 7 + Firefox 17 - I'm not sure why the file association wasn't made automatically when Java was installed.   There was a bug in Java 6 (http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=7086260) and perhaps it didn't create the association when I upgraded to Java 7.   Speeding up the installation process would be good - it took 5 minutes+ on my i5 laptop.

Interesting. Technically you mean dragging from a resource (small white node) to a catalyst (large white node), rather than dragging from catalyst to resource, which is the only possible direction at the moment.   There's nothing in the game to stop me adding this in, but it sort of seems wrong in the sense that it is the catalysts which have the power to synthesize, whereas I see the resources as more inert. I'll think about it.
I think of it as adding "ingredients" to the synthesizing unit, so it felt like I should drag the tricones to the synthesizer not the other way round, but that could just be me!   I don't think it would affect the mechanics to allow either direction?

The levels are not timed, so the pause seemed unnecessary (you can just minimize the window)?   I think undo does make it a little bit too easy - there is no incentive to avoid mistakes, and it might encourage a trial-and-error approach to solving the levels, rather than thinking things out logically?

I've thought about icons but I think the text buttons are actually very clear. Personally I find icons more confusing than text unless it is very clear what they do. If it does get internationalized, translating the button text is not a big deal, as there is quite a bit of other text to be translated anyway (e.g. node descriptions). I might combine icons and text e.g. with tooltips.
The text is clear, but it looks a bit unpolished at the moment.  Some graphical buttons, tooltips and a better font would improve the appearance of the UI.

6) The game could really use some sound effects to add atmosphere.   I wonder if it would be possible to automatically generate bubbling and popping noises in response to the actions of the player?
I guess you mean apart from the little dots which burst out? Things like smoke effects etc?
Similar to my previous point, the game is great but needs more polish.   If you look at a typical puzzle game on the DS or PSP, there is a constant stream of visual and audio feedback.   Every action that the player performs is accompanied by an effect.   Objects pulse and sparkle, the screen flashes, trails of dots emerge, etc.   Have a look at YouTube videos of Lumines and Lumines 2 on the PSP.   It is a rather average puzzle game, but the OTT effects make it feel much more exciting!   I'm not suggesting you go that far, but more visual and audio feedback would be nice.

a -- Yes! There are two new mechanics in the pipeline which will allow the user to create new cells. One is a movable node which, when activated, inflates into a bubble which becomes a new cell. Not sure what to call these ones, maybe "cellformers" or "bubblers"?. Another mechanic which is coming soon is the "constructor" node. Dragging a line out from this node creates a new border, so it can be used for example to create a new floating cell, or it can be dragged to part of the existing cell structure to connect things or subdivide the existing cells.

f -- Yes! I've got a new node type (in my head) called the "anti-catalyst". It is like an "enemy" catalyst which is out of the user's control. It grabs hold of any resources it can in the same cell, removing them from use by the player. So it needs to be kept apart from these resources, therefore motivating use of the "constructor" nodes.
Great - can't wait to see the new levels with these cell types!

Future versions will contain more new puzzles, but this time round I had a lot of feedback on the engine stuff so I focused on that.
The engine is very neat - it gives the game a unique feel and has plenty of scope for enhancements.   I'm looking forward to playing the next set of maps.

cd-w

josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 02:45:47 PM »

It is on Windows 7 + Firefox 17 - I'm not sure why the file association wasn't made automatically when Java was installed.   There was a bug in Java 6 (http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=7086260) and perhaps it didn't create the association when I upgraded to Java 7.   Speeding up the installation process would be good - it took 5 minutes+ on my i5 laptop.
OK that is a bit unusual, I have not seen installation take that long on other machines. It should improve when I get rid of the unnecessary jars. Maybe I'll add something on the website for other people who hit the file association issue.

Interesting. Technically you mean dragging from a resource (small white node) to a catalyst (large white node), rather than dragging from catalyst to resource, which is the only possible direction at the moment.   There's nothing in the game to stop me adding this in, but it sort of seems wrong in the sense that it is the catalysts which have the power to synthesize, whereas I see the resources as more inert. I'll think about it.
I think of it as adding "ingredients" to the synthesizing unit, so it felt like I should drag the tricones to the synthesizer not the other way round, but that could just be me!   I don't think it would affect the mechanics to allow either direction?
You are right that it doesn't affect the mechanics. Still not sure about it.

The levels are not timed, so the pause seemed unnecessary (you can just minimize the window)?   I think undo does make it a little bit too easy - there is no incentive to avoid mistakes, and it might encourage a trial-and-error approach to solving the levels, rather than thinking things out logically?
OK everyone agrees pause is unnecessary. Yes, I am worried that people might fall back to undo/redo trial-and-error whereas it is supposed to be a logic puzzle. As a compromise maybe I will let the player undo the last action only, and no redo. And no pause/unpause.

The text is clear, but it looks a bit unpolished at the moment.  Some graphical buttons, tooltips and a better font would improve the appearance of the UI.
Button appearance, fonts etc, fixed in the next version! Still need to do some work on the dialogs etc.

Similar to my previous point, the game is great but needs more polish.   If you look at a typical puzzle game on the DS or PSP, there is a constant stream of visual and audio feedback.   Every action that the player performs is accompanied by an effect.   Objects pulse and sparkle, the screen flashes, trails of dots emerge, etc.   Have a look at YouTube videos of Lumines and Lumines 2 on the PSP.   It is a rather average puzzle game, but the OTT effects make it feel much more exciting!   I'm not suggesting you go that far, but more visual and audio feedback would be nice.
Yes, I know the graphics are a bit basic (or minimalist, if you are being generous). I've got some ideas for this but I want to finish fleshing out the gameplay, sound effects, and level editor features first before going back to add more polish.

Rusk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2013, 04:50:15 PM »

I had a bug similar to oyog, but it didn't crash the game. It was on map M1, after completing a level and having two more to go. There didn't seem to be enough room for the last two levels to inflate, so they just bumped against the border until I reset. It only happened once in 3 playthroughs.

Interesting. Technically you mean dragging from a resource (small white node) to a catalyst (large white node), rather than dragging from catalyst to resource, which is the only possible direction at the moment.   There's nothing in the game to stop me adding this in, but it sort of seems wrong in the sense that it is the catalysts which have the power to synthesize, whereas I see the resources as more inert. I'll think about it.
I think of it as adding "ingredients" to the synthesizing unit, so it felt like I should drag the tricones to the synthesizer not the other way round, but that could just be me!   I don't think it would affect the mechanics to allow either direction?
You are right that it doesn't affect the mechanics. Still not sure about it.
Depends on who you identify as. If you act as the catalyst, you should drag the resource towards you. If you act as some sort of overseer, you should direct the catalyst to the resources. Wink
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic