Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 09:21:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTricone Lab: a bio-logical puzzle game [Out 27-Jul-2017 on Steam]
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Author Topic: Tricone Lab: a bio-logical puzzle game [Out 27-Jul-2017 on Steam]  (Read 29464 times)
josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: December 22, 2014, 09:33:25 AM »

I haven't really been following this, but that feels so much more responsive than when I tried it back in March. Lovely.
Yeah, I've done a few things you mentioned: fewer dialogs / clicking, easier hit detection and you can now also drag from resource to catalyst as well as vice versa.

josh

website  |  devlog  |  twitter  |  indieDB  |  facebook  |  steam
josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2015, 02:27:11 AM »

I've created a promo video for Tricone Lab!

Here it is:

josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: February 02, 2015, 12:01:11 PM »

One of the other gamedevs at GameCity mentioned that Tricone Lab introduces new mechanics before exploring enough the puzzle opportunities of existing mechanics. So... in response, today I created 3 (fairly easy) puzzles which use only breakers. Screenshots below.

Over the next few weeks I'm planning to extend this process, basically stretching the existing mechanics to see how many genuinely good puzzles I can get out of them.

josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: February 03, 2015, 01:58:32 AM »

Another breakers-only puzzle, this one is a bit harder.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 03, 2015, 02:46:00 AM »

Just tried it again, it's a lot more engaging than before even though it doesn't feel like much changed!
josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: February 03, 2015, 05:46:25 AM »

Just tried it again, it's a lot more engaging than before even though it doesn't feel like much changed!
Good, the mechanics and early puzzles haven't changed much, but I've done quite a lot of work on streamlining the user experience, so I'm guessing that's where the engagement comes from.

PM me if you would like a free license key for the full alpha (including 71 levels, level editor etc.)

josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: February 07, 2015, 05:52:26 AM »

a fairly easy new level using breaker catalysts and, like the other recent level, "cone ambiguity" -- which cones are used by which tricone catalyst.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 07, 2015, 07:24:03 AM »

Thanks for the offer, but I barely play any games - I just like to follow the development of them Smiley
josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: February 12, 2015, 02:41:14 AM »

Tricone Lab has been Greenlit!

Thanks everyone for voting and leaving positive comments.

Next steps will be writing more levels and then packaging up for Early Access.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 12, 2015, 03:17:38 AM »

Coffee
josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2015, 10:15:09 AM »

Today I wrote some new levels which just use anti-catalysts and breakers. The first two are easy.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 10:32:38 AM by josh_s » Logged

josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: February 16, 2015, 11:50:26 AM »

A couple more anti-catalyst/breaker levels. I'm estimating that these are medium complexity, but I'd need to watch a few people playing them to properly establish the difficulty level.

josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: February 18, 2015, 03:05:26 PM »

New level with anti-catalyst, constructor and +/- charge. I think it has two equivalent solutions that look different but are the same topologically.

josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: March 16, 2015, 01:25:47 AM »

new level: involves +/- charge, constructors, breakers and anti-catalysts

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: March 16, 2015, 09:00:37 AM »

Tricone Lab has been Greenlit!

Congrats!

Do you plan on using the Steam Workshop for distributing player made levels or will you keep that entirely in game?
josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: March 17, 2015, 02:07:04 PM »

Do you plan on using the Steam Workshop for distributing player made levels or will you keep that entirely in game?

I've implemented Tricone Lab Online, which you can use right now if you have the full version key. It works like this:
  • Players create an account through the game
  • They get a link via email to validate the account
  • Once you have an account you can upload / download levels from within the game, based on the database on the game's server
  • There is also an approval system for levels -- basic quality control

The nice things about this database is that I collect stats on who has played what levels, how hard they are etc, and I plan to publish this stuff, along with an image of each level, on the game website.

In terms of Steam integration, I have not really planned for this.

What would be nice is at a minimum to have players Steam accounts automatically give them accounts on Tricone Lab Online. I'd also like to have basic achievements and things like "oyog is playing XXX level of Tricone Lab" notifications, which I think should be fairly straightforward to implement. I'm not sure what benefits would come from Steam Workshop. I guess I wouldn't have to run the server at all. Steam Workshop would maybe add a player rating system for levels, which Tricone Lab Online doesn't have.

Any thoughts on this would be useful!

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: March 18, 2015, 09:51:46 AM »

I've implemented Tricone Lab Online, which you can use right now if you have the full version key. It works like this:
  • Players create an account through the game
  • They get a link via email to validate the account
  • Once you have an account you can upload / download levels from within the game, based on the database on the game's server
  • There is also an approval system for levels -- basic quality control

The nice things about this database is that I collect stats on who has played what levels, how hard they are etc, and I plan to publish this stuff, along with an image of each level, on the game website.

In terms of Steam integration, I have not really planned for this.

What would be nice is at a minimum to have players Steam accounts automatically give them accounts on Tricone Lab Online. I'd also like to have basic achievements and things like "oyog is playing XXX level of Tricone Lab" notifications, which I think should be fairly straightforward to implement. I'm not sure what benefits would come from Steam Workshop. I guess I wouldn't have to run the server at all. Steam Workshop would maybe add a player rating system for levels, which Tricone Lab Online doesn't have.

I logged in before I posted 'cause I couldn't remember how much you'd implemented. There are a couple of benefits of Steam Workshop I can think of that I imagine could be added to the Tricone Lab Online, either in game or on the website.

Off the top of my head those are:
- Player comments.
- As you mentioned, a rating system.
- The one that really sticks out for me is a browseable list of levels.

If you're publishing level information on the website I expect you could simply add these features there. That would also allow for a more controlled community than Steam. I suppose rating systems and comments can end up potentially being abused depending on the maturity of your user base.

Not sure how helpful this will be since I don't know how much work implementing any of this is.

As an aside, I think I've already said it but I really enjoy the music. I've had Tricone Lab open in the background writing this and the menu music is super chill.
josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: March 18, 2015, 10:23:58 AM »

As an aside, I think I've already said it but I really enjoy the music. I've had Tricone Lab open in the background writing this and the menu music is super chill.

Glad you like it! The music is by Iain Foxwell, aka holobeams, he wrote it especially for the game.

You can find more here:

https://soundcloud.com/holobeams

josh

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: March 18, 2015, 10:45:46 AM »

Glad you like it! The music is by Iain Foxwell, aka holobeams, he wrote it especially for the game.

You can find more here:

https://soundcloud.com/holobeams

Thanks! I'll definitely be following him. His stuff is excellent.
josh_s
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: March 31, 2015, 01:29:52 AM »

Some new levels I made over the weekend, using exploders, replicators, +/- charge, anti-catalysts and constructors:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic