Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 04:28:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingESC
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: ESC  (Read 2820 times)
terri
Level 1

View Profile WWW
ESC
« on: June 07, 2013, 06:51:28 AM »

ESC

I previously received some good feedback on this gif:

So yesterday I put in a couple more hours of work and got it into a playable form.
I'm  mostly looking on feedback on any problems figuring out what to do, on the difficulty and if you think its fun.
Thanks!

>>> http://gamejolt.com/games/arcade/esc/15156/

eots
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 02:06:35 PM »

Yea I'v tried it out and it took me three times to figure it out.
I think its fun but hard, working the keyboard and running at the same time. But this would be a training thing, only one to rely on... yourself.

And thats good, thou, this was too hard it was like being thrown in a box with rageing Cyberdeamons.... with only a gun...

So are you supposed to run towards something or is it just survival?

terri
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 04:16:39 PM »

thanks for the feedback, I uploaded a new version that should be a bit easier if you want to give it another go
you're not really running anywhere, its just about staying alive as long as possible

eots
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 04:49:31 PM »

thanks for the feedback, I uploaded a new version that should be a bit easier if you want to give it another go
you're not really running anywhere, its just about staying alive as long as possible

I'll leave it till tomorrow, but is that it? You could easily do something like a stronghold or a cave. Make the player tap a button in a certain place to build a wall or something...

I think it has potential to go in any direction, you have the core gameplay build a world around it!

Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 05:11:31 PM »

This is pretty cool, love the style!  I hope you go further with it Smiley

It feels a bit weird to me to have two of the same letter on the screen, since it hurts the correspondence between my fingers and the ones on screen ... I think it'd be better if one of my presses -> only one press in the world.

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
Igmon
Level 0

Hi how are you?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 05:41:15 PM »

Pretty cool game. I added my comment from gamejolt, so I'll just paste it here:

"Cool animation and aesthetics. The gameover freaked me out. Having only one hand to type the keys got a bit difficult, since my other hand is busy moving the character. I'm not an uber typer, but I had to look at what keys to press on the right region (e.g. for keys like U,I,O,P, and anything else below it)"

I suppose this is an early build, so I take it there will be more things you can do with the core mechanics?

terri
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 06:02:21 AM »

thanks for the input, the difficulty caused by having to control ESC with one hand while killing enemies with the other is the biggest issue a lot of people had with the game

I'm planning of reworking the spawning cycle so it starts off slowly and builds up over time. people who are good typists would last way longer but those who aren't will still have fun

draconiansolo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 10:03:46 AM »

This is a very nice idea and it looks very good.
I guess it could be separated in stages with different survival and difficulty level could be arranged by the use of a hierarchy of letters that are harder to reach having one hand in the arrows.
As it is, it makes a really cool minigame.
ohaiguy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 04:51:52 PM »

Definitely good in concept but I do agree that varying difficulty would be nice (it is still pretty hard.) I'd say a good way to approach that would be what you said with the slower waves. However, if you do reach different stages, I'd say that only adding certain keys to a wave could make things more manageable too.

https://soundcloud.com/ohaiguy
[email protected]
Music Composer! Feel free to contact me Smiley
Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 02:51:20 PM »

YOUR BEST IS 68 SECONDS. 47 KEYS WERE BROKEN TO BITS. 07/22/2013 13:41 ESC_V0.1 060713

Can you beat this ?
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 03:37:07 PM »

lol this is hilarious

paulmcgg
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 03:48:51 PM »

I love the animations, fantastic art.
i.i
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 04:08:26 PM »

ingenious  Cheesy

Fantastic game. You can do a lot with this!
Dals
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 04:16:30 PM »

Hey,
You got a really cool concept going on here! I enjoyed playing it and it is very amusing Smiley

The one thing that I felt was annoying was that when you destroy an enemy it feels that you get stuck for a moment, for me it is comparable to a lag in a online game. I would love to see that handle in another way.

Anyway good job and keep it up!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic